Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

paulkosmala

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 am

krodahl wrote:BMCC mft mount arriving, got message thursday so hopefully i'll have it tomorrow...norway btw

good to hear they're making it to shipping finally!!!!

blackhillfilms

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 am

Hey guys, I ordered in Australia on July 3rd and just got an email from my reseller that mine is on its way to Australia and should be here this week. I was number 7 on the list at a store in Melbourne, and they seem to be receiving 2 per week on average :D .
I'll use it to shoot my first feature (finally) as soon as we've tested it. Sneak preview:

Good luck everyone! May all your film-making dreams come true!

Adam Rainer

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 12:33 pm

krodahl wrote:BMCC mft mount arriving, got message thursday so hopefully i'll have it tomorrow...norway btw

Hi Krodahl

When did you order the MTF version?

Cheers

Adam

Klaus Rodahl

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Adam, about 18th of april - then changed to mft as soon as it was announced:)

Tom

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 3:41 pm

krodahl wrote:Hi Adam, about 18th of april - then changed to mft as soon as it was announced:)

so..... September?
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Jason Greene

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Christine and/or anyone from BMD: Can you confirm that the MFT version is now shipping?

Thank you.

Tom

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Jason Greene wrote:Christine and/or anyone from BMD: Can you confirm that the MFT version is now shipping?

Thank you.

with less than 10 units at many major resellers having shipped so far, I would be very shocked if BMD consider this a large enough number of EF mount units to ship before using some of the sensors in the MFT version.

Its a bit of a crappy deal for people who ordered 9-10 months ago to not have their cameras and yet people who switched or ordered in September start to get theirs.

Over a month later since the green light was given for mass production, and tens if not hundreds of people who ordered within weeks of it being announced are yet to receive theirs - and yet others who ordered over a month later (2 months in some cases) are receiving theirs. I realise that life is not always fair - but to have this situation and still to be without an official explanation from Blackmagic (instead of forum speculations) - does seem a bit irritating - especially from a PR perspective. From this product launch alone, leaving aside manufacturing issues - what I have learned is that if you wish to purchase a new product from BMD in the UK - order it from an american reseller, probably B&H and not from any European or UK based authorised resellers.
Tom Majerski

Samjack

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Don't get so worked up Tom. People who ordered EF back in April and switched to MFT in september was promise a "no penalty". They waited just as long as anyone who ordered a BMCC early on. I have more reason to be annoyed if someone who ordered an EF in september and have theirs delivered before yours.

bhook

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Samjack wrote:People who ordered EF back in April and switched to MFT in september was promise a "no penalty".

That "no penalty" promise pertained to price IIRC. At the time, I don't think anybody who switched to MFT expected to receive their camera at the same time they would have received their EF version. Grant treats EF and MFT as two versions with separate shipping in one of his updates.

Tom

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Samjack wrote:Don't get so worked up Tom. People who ordered EF back in April and switched to MFT in september was promise a "no penalty". They waited just as long as anyone who ordered a BMCC early on. I have more reason to be annoyed if someone who ordered an EF in september and have theirs delivered before yours.

a) people who ordered late May are receiving their EF mount cameras
b) The "no penalty" deal was something to arrange with your dealer and pertained to payment, not position. At the time it was expected that the BMCC EF mount would be out by the end of the month of september, so how could you not be penalised in line position if the MFT was slated for December release?
c) Some people would not have ordered the EF mount, but would have simply ordered the MFT in september - not all MFT customers previously had an EF mount on order.
d) If you decided you did not want camera version 1 and instead decided to wait longer for camera version 2 - you should be expected to for just as long as those that did not decide to switch. (which works out at around April/May 2013.
e) Like I say in my post, I am also annoyed by the distribution of the EF mount, as well as the MFT situation.
f)"They waited just as long as anyone who ordered a BMCC early on" who did? all of the people? some might have, but not all. But those that have done, decided to wait longer for the MFT. The MFT has only been delayed for just over 1 month, the EF was delayed by around 5 months until mass production begun.

Let's be clear here, the reason that most EF people don't have their cameras yet is because there arent enough sensors coming in to have fulfilled all the orders yet. The current rate for many major resellers is 1-2 a week at best. Once MFT orders start being fulfilled, there will be even fewer sensors available for EF mount cameras.

**my figures are based on numbers I have gathered from this and another BMCC forum as well as speaking to resellers directly, they are close to factual and accurate as can be unless BMD comment specifically on the matter**
Tom Majerski

Samjack

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

mhood wrote:
Samjack wrote:People who ordered EF back in April and switched to MFT in september was promise a "no penalty".

That "no penalty" promise pertained to price IIRC. At the time, I don't think anybody who switched to MFT expected to receive their camera at the same time they would have received their EF version. Grant treats EF and MFT as two versions with separate shipping in one of his updates.

Not really in a sense that both EF and MFT were delayed. When I switched I knew the EF will be delayed for most people and MFT will likely too. The "no penalty" was to me a guarantee that in the event that both EF and MFT is delayed and finally go into production I would keep my slot and not having to waite for every EF preorders to be fullfilled before making the MFT. In a way Grant's last update kind of acknowledged that by shipping some of the early EF preorders and then making a start on the MFT even though many people are still waiting for their EF who ordered early and the whole delivery allocation based on first come first serve became a mess.

Again with regard to the "no penalty" unless information was badly misinterpreted I understand it was BMD who were working with the reseller to ensure people who switched were'nt penalised.

Samjack

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Tom wrote:c) Some people would not have ordered the EF mount, but would have simply ordered the MFT in september - not all MFT customers previously had an EF mount on order.

We don't know that yet.

bhook

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Samjack wrote:...The "no penalty" was to me a guarantee that in the event that both EF and MFT is delayed and finally go into production I would keep my slot and not having to waite for every EF preorders to be fullfilled before making the MFT....the whole delivery allocation based on first come first serve became a mess.

I agree that miscommunication is a consistent theme in this delivery mess but I do not recall any promise to preserve shipping "slots" for people who switched from EF to MFT. It was simply a promise of no price penalty. "First come, first served" is between you and your retailer. BMD is in no position to make such a promise.

Tom

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Samjack wrote:
Tom wrote:c) Some people would not have ordered the EF mount, but would have simply ordered the MFT in september - not all MFT customers previously had an EF mount on order.

We don't know that yet.

I know of people who did not order an EF mount, but simply ordered an MFT when it was announced.

Also, I have been trying to find where BMD actually said that you could switch "without penalty", the only time I can find this being said is not from BMD but John Brawley

"…So to recap, the m4/3 version will be IDENTICAL to the EF version in every other respect, and you should be able to switch your order without penalty (dealer dependent). The m4/3 version will start shipping in December"

BMD said in their press release:

"It’s identical in features as they are both the same camera, just with different lens mounts. The price will also be the same at $2,995. We will be working with our dealers to help people change their orders if they want"

That says nothing about retaining your position in line or getting it at the same time as whenever you ordered your EF mount version.

Maybe I have missed a post where BMD actually mention that you keep your place, if so, please do share it with me - I only want to know exactly what the situation is.
Tom Majerski

Paulo M. de Andrade

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Samjack wrote:Since there is no updates and their is no sight of the MFT I have decide to keep my camera option open and will be ordering a Digital Bolex. Should the DB16 ship first I will cancel the BMCC and vice versa so whoever comes first gets my business.

Digital Bolex? Good luck!!!

If people here have been complaining about a well established company like Blackmagic, with years of experience, enormous knowhow, great customer support and a worldwide dealer network, imagine having to rely on a couple who borrowed the famous name of a bankrupt company in order to obtain funding and haven't been able to show a single working prototype. All they have, so far, are computer models of the case. If it ever ships, who is going to give you tech support when the camera fails? Will they have a team of software engineers working full time to provide you with firmware updates? How many service centers worldwide do you think they'll have? Who's going to answer their customer service hotline - if there's ever one?

I'd never gamble my professional career on such a product, especially when the BMCC is available for the same price and is currently shipping. If you want alternatives, the KineRaw seems to be a much more reliable option. At least they do have working prototypes and they haven't taken anyone's money so far.

JoeyL

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Paulo M. de Andrade wrote:
If people here have been complaining about a well established company like Blackmagic, with years of experience...

People have been complaining about BMD for years. This isn't their first hiccup to say the least.

paulkosmala

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Tom wrote:
Jason Greene wrote:Christine and/or anyone from BMD: Can you confirm that the MFT version is now shipping?

Thank you.

with less than 10 units at many major resellers having shipped so far, I would be very shocked if BMD consider this a large enough number of EF mount units to ship before using some of the sensors in the MFT version.

Its a bit of a crappy deal for people who ordered 9-10 months ago to not have their cameras and yet people who switched or ordered in September start to get theirs.

Over a month later since the green light was given for mass production, and tens if not hundreds of people who ordered within weeks of it being announced are yet to receive theirs - and yet others who ordered over a month later (2 months in some cases) are receiving theirs. I realise that life is not always fair - but to have this situation and still to be without an official explanation from Blackmagic (instead of forum speculations) - does seem a bit irritating - especially from a PR perspective. From this product launch alone, leaving aside manufacturing issues - what I have learned is that if you wish to purchase a new product from BMD in the UK - order it from an american reseller, probably B&H and not from any European or UK based authorised resellers.

I think its ridiculous to halt shipping on an already made product, I think BMD realized that and started shipping MFT models rather than sit on them - so people can be 'first' to get their camera. we'll all get our camera soon enough, it's just a good sign that MFT isn't being artificially held back.

bhook

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 pm

paulkosmala wrote:it's just a good sign that MFT isn't being artificially held back.

Artificially held back? There are "X" number of available sensors. If one out of ten available sensors were to go into an MFT camera, then the unfortunate soul who has been sitting at number 11 on his retailers EF preorder list for 8 or 9 months is hosed. I understand the frustration of those MFT preorders who have been w8ing since December but please have a bit of sympathy for those EF preorders who have been w8ing since July.

Eduardo Gonzalez

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 11:01 pm

I wonder if there'll be a competitive enough product in the same price range at nab 2013 that'll make people either cancel or return what they got. I really would love to know what's taking the sensor manufacturers so long. Whether it's Fairchild imaging or whomever I hope Blackmagic doesn't get the shaft because they have to wait on these ppl.

HiQ

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 am

:D I just wanted to add a little something to this conversation...A lot of people (those whom pre-ordered many months ago-paying upfront) took a big risk on BMD (which has acknowledged that those risks were proven to be "worse" than with many other more successful pre-orders) and they don't want to wait any longer even though they switched their pre-orders to MFT. That would clearly be impossible for BMD to accomplish, but I trust -and many others trust- that BMD will do their best to manufacture the quantity those of you that PAID IN ADVANCE ordered. They will not begin, nor can they be expected to begin, mass production on the MFT model until they have fulfilled their original pre-orders. That means, unfortunately for those of you that switched your pre-orders to MFT, you may in fact get your paid in advance black magic cinema camera AFTER I get my EF BMCC that I ordered two months ago (NOT PAID IN ADVANCE)!

I ordered from an enormous reseller that pre-purchased hundreds if not thousands of EF Cameras based on what I'm sure was a huge pre-order interest from many of its customers. Because so many of you pre-order people switched, I move up the list for EF deliveries from this reseller. The point I am making is, for those of you seriously perturbed by the EF/MFT reality, you can switch right on back and if your reseller is anything like my reseller, they will immediately switch you back and preserve your place in the pecking order, no questions asked. As for having the audacity to complain about a company which is only delaying your pre-order "less than fairly" because they are being uber precise and ensuring delivery of the very best of the product your pre-order reflects your faith in: I say boo! I did not pre-order (pay b4 shipment) with the BMD bmcc but only because I fell behind last year and didn't do a plop of research on new equipment until the Fall. I have been a "paid in advance pre-orderer" with other comparable products, such as the Convergent Design nanoFlash. In the instances that I did pay in advance with only delivery estimates, those times that I plopped down my hard-earned cashola without getting the 2-3 day delivery I'm so happily accustomed to, when I CHOSE to pre-order, I did so because I so believed in the companies' prototype and their ideas, I wanted to invest in them. I wanted to assist them in their work by demonstrating my confidence in their abilities with the substance of my money. I think that what Black Magic Design is doing with this camera is amazing and I frankly would've been hard pressed not to join the legions of pre-orders had I been at NAB last year. Please reconsider what your pre-order means and if you still feel like complaining about anything that has gone wrong, please reconsider ever making another pre-order. As revolutions occur in technology and choice, we must support progress and applaud diligence. I implore you to reflect on the meaning of your extreme desire to receive this product as soon as humanly possible; you WANT it for a reason. BlackMagic Design has done their best and they are an awesome company that has strived to democratize high end cinema production for the masses. I will forever be in awe of their accomplishments and grateful for their contributions to my work. I hope the vast majority of those of you whom pre-ordered, ordered later as I did or are still thinking about joining the line AGREE.

Thank you.

paulkosmala

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 5:06 am

mhood wrote:
paulkosmala wrote:it's just a good sign that MFT isn't being artificially held back.

Artificially held back? There are "X" number of available sensors. If one out of ten available sensors were to go into an MFT camera, then the unfortunate soul who has been sitting at number 11 on his retailers EF preorder list for 8 or 9 months is hosed. I understand the frustration of those MFT preorders who have been w8ing since December but please have a bit of sympathy for those EF preorders who have been w8ing since July.

There are also x number of mtf bodies ready and waiting for the sensor, that are never going to be EF models. I want everyone to get their camera, but to be honest, even if I had been that number 11 that has to wait a bit longer than we are all projecting it should take, I don't mind. I don't want to make others wait, but that's what we're already doing by shipping EF only. Someone somewhere is going to have to wait.

The sensor supply is the weak link in production apparently, but as things start ramping up, hopefully shipping some Mft models will be a non-issue due to shipping volume.

JoeyL

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 am

HiQ wrote: BlackMagic Design has done their best and they are an awesome company that has strived to democratize high end cinema production for the masses.

You act as if they are selfless entity that does no wrong. You do know that they are in this simply for the money. :roll:

10s

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 am

What's wrong with making money? Should we suppose they are self sacrificing fools that labor to please us without any reward? Thank goodness there is an incentive that gets them out of bed to face the onslaught of daily problems. None of us creates valuables without some sort of return. I hope they get filthy rich because they provide us with the best camera we can buy. I also hope you get filthy rich by making the best films ever; so great that we beg you to get out of bed and hurry up your production. I doubt you'll do it for free.

JoeyL

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 am

10s wrote:What's wrong with making money? Should we suppose they are self sacrificing fools that labor to please us without any reward? Thank goodness there is an incentive that gets them out of bed to face the onslaught of daily problems. None of us creates valuables without some sort of return. I hope they get filthy rich because they provide us with the best camera we can buy. I also hope you get filthy rich by making the best films ever; so great that we beg you to get out of bed and hurry up your production. I doubt you'll do it for free.

I think you were agreeing with me?

-Cheers

Sondre Garaas

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 am

Congratulations Krodahl!
Which reseller did you order from?

Klaus Rodahl

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 pm

video4:) - still on the way, but here tomorrow!

fallencircus

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Well I have been just an observer on this board and many others since the BMCC was announced as I was debating on purchasing it. Well back in November I decided to do it, sold my EX1R and some other gear and ordered from Adorama on 11/19. Last night I got a notification that my bank account had been charged and I received my shipping notification from Adorama. I was shocked to get it this early, but I also recall someone else on these boards ordering on in January and receiving it a week later from Adorama as well, so not sure what is up but an beyond thrilled that I am getting it on Thursday.

Klaus Rodahl

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm

And so my camera arrived - and typically - it's an EF mount. Tried contacting my dealer, hopefully it's just a mess-up at theirs, but most likely MFT's haven't shipped:(

F***

Jason Greene

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 pm

krodahl wrote:And so my camera arrived - and typically - it's an EF mount. Tried contacting my dealer, hopefully it's just a mess-up at theirs, but most likely MFT's haven't shipped:(

F***

Ouch. I suspected this might be the case, given that there was no other indication of MFTs shipping.

You're in an odd position of not getting what you wanted/ordered, but having something that many others are wanting and have ordered. Many in your position might consider having your retailer maintain your place in line, yet letting you keep the EF mount (that you could then sell, perhaps even at a profit?). Good luck!

Klaus Rodahl

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 pm

You're right, and I might have considered keeping it, but for the voïgtlander 12, 17,5 and 25mm lying in my office...but I suppose I shouldn't be shocked at this, I was quite surprised that my MFT supposedly was shipping....

JON s

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm

So how about an update on when we'll get another update? Thanks in advance, Grant.

nichymontero

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

We need more updates Grant! If you continue with this missinformation some people will move the order and look for other cameras like Red One (now available for 3$K). We only need you to be honest and tell us what´s going on with the production. I call every week to my reseller and no news about Blackmagic, no one says anything and this is frustrating. I have paid 3.000€ on September to order my BMCC EF and at the moment I
don´t have anything. No camera, No 3.000€ an NO information. This is not the way that a big company works. I will give you a chance of 2 more weeks. I hope it will be enough for an update or my BMCC.

Que Thompson

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 pm

nichymontero wrote:...other cameras like Red One (now available for 3$K).

3$K? Link please.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 5:51 pm

Jack Warhol wrote:

3$K? Link please.

Just look around Google.
Its out there since the Battle Tested were sold for 4K.
Now add another 4K for gear of course :)

Trevor Zuck

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:
Jack Warhol wrote:

3$K? Link please.

Just look around Google.
Its out there since the Battle Tested were sold for 4K.
Now add another 4K for gear of course :)

Red Ones are no longer being made or sold by Red. If you want one you'll have to hit up Ebay or other 3rd party.
The Red one doesn't need that many accessories to be work ready though. Lens, Media, EVF/Monitor, Redrocket, etc.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

jvpeters

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

nichymontero wrote:We need more updates Grant! If you continue with this missinformation some people will move the order and look for other cameras like Red One (now available for 3$K).

We have already cancelled one of ours and went with a 5ony. We'll probably cancel another soon and just keep one camera on order to play with when they finally start shipping the MFT units. Unfortunate, but between this and some other BM product issues I just don't trust them much anymore.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

TZuck wrote:Red Ones are no longer being made or sold by Red. If you want one you'll have to hit up Ebay or other 3rd party.
The Red one doesn't need that many accessories to be work ready though. Lens, Media, EVF/Monitor, Redrocket, etc.

Im a Scarlet owner and trust me what you just stated aint cheap ;)

Oh and beware of the eBay scams out there with the RED MX.

A few have come on REDUSER at a decent low price.

We have one at work and it sure didnt cost us 3K :P

Roland Öller

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm

I consider myself an "early adopter" having preordered the camera 24 hours after it was announced. But I am still waiting for mine. No word from my dealer.

Is that unusual?

I'm getting a little uneasy about this so I'd like to know the status of the most early preorders. ;)
Not trying to whine about it or anything, I'm just asking.
Thanks guys!

Tom

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Roland Öller wrote:I consider myself an "early adopter" having preordered the camera 24 hours after it was announced. But I am still waiting for mine. No word from my dealer.

Is that unusual?

I'm getting a little uneasy about this so I'd like to know the status of the most early preorders. ;)
Not trying to whine about it or anything, I'm just asking.
Thanks guys!

Its unusual if you live in the USA, not unusual if you live in Europe. I share your pain.
Tom Majerski

TuTodd

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Early May 2012 order from B&H. Picked it up from UPS today!

Hope to get some test footage soon!

FOLLOW ME:
http://instagram.com/jovoansanders

www.JoVoanSanders.com

Hope you all get yours soon!

Drakuul

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 10:43 pm

This is what I had through from the company I pre-ordered with when I enquired about MFT and the potential of two cameras by May/June for a feature film (either EF or MFT, MFT preferred)

"Further to your email below, I have spoken to the Blackmagic distributor who believes that before the end of April there should not be a problem supplying you with 2 x Blackmagic Cinema Camera with EF mount. Whilst the MFT mount version is nearly ready to ship, Blackmagic are concentrating on fulfilling the orders for the EF mount version first and small quantities are coming through to the distributor every week now."

I presume the distributor is the UK based Dist. and not the European one ;)
Richard Roberts, I do stuff.

c.carlos.n

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 11:48 pm

TuTodd wrote:Early May 2012 order from B&H. Picked it up from UPS today!

Hope to get some test footage soon!

FOLLOW ME:
http://instagram.com/jovoansanders

http://www.JoVoanSanders.com

Hope you all get yours soon!

like before or after the 15th of May?
Carlos E Núñez

nivou

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 am

Hi to all disappointed guys out there including myself,

I just want to report something, which someone might find it interesting. Blackmagic talks about a “lock” price for the camera something that is total unreal. I sent an email to Blackmagic about that and they told me that there might be some variations due to the law of each country. That’s not the case; there is not such thing as variation but a large deviation. In US the price is 2,995 dollars, that’s 2,212 euros (EUR/USD 1.3537 ECB fixing). If we take a look in European Union there are large deviations in price. In UK the normal price (CVP) is 2,148 pounds inc. VAT which is 2,497 euros (EUR/GBP 0.8599). In other EU countries for example France you find something around 2,630 euros inc. VAT and the worst case scenario in my country for around 3,050 euros inc. VAT. Ok, we’ve been waiting for this camera for a long time and maybe I can understand to a point about sensor issues, but talking about a “lock” price and seeing those variations it’s a little bit provocative I think…
Last edited by nivou on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 9:14 am

nivou wrote:Hi to all disappointed guys out there including myself,

I just want to report something, which someone might find it interesting. Blackmagic talks about a “lock” price for the camera something that is total unreal. I sent an email to Blackmagic about that and they told me that there might be some variations due to the law of each country. That’s not the case; there is not such thing as variation but a large deviation. In US the price is 2,995 dollars, that’s 2,212 euros (EUR/USD 1.3537 ECB fixing). If we take a look in European Union there are large deviations in price. In UK the normal price (CVP) is 2,148 pounds inc. VAT which is 2,497 euros (EUR/GBP 0.8599). In other EU countries for example France you find something around 2,630 euros inc. VAT and the worst case scenario in my country for around 3,050 euros inc. VAT. Ok, we’ve been waiting for this camera for a long time and maybe I can understand to a point about sensor issues, but talking about a “lock” price and seeing those variations it’s a little bit provocative I thing…

Have you factored in vat and import duty?
Tom Majerski

nivou

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 am

Tom wrote:
nivou wrote:Hi to all disappointed guys out there including myself,

I just want to report something, which someone might find it interesting. Blackmagic talks about a “lock” price for the camera something that is total unreal. I sent an email to Blackmagic about that and they told me that there might be some variations due to the law of each country. That’s not the case; there is not such thing as variation but a large deviation. In US the price is 2,995 dollars, that’s 2,212 euros (EUR/USD 1.3537 ECB fixing). If we take a look in European Union there are large deviations in price. In UK the normal price (CVP) is 2,148 pounds inc. VAT which is 2,497 euros (EUR/GBP 0.8599). In other EU countries for example France you find something around 2,630 euros inc. VAT and the worst case scenario in my country for around 3,050 euros inc. VAT. Ok, we’ve been waiting for this camera for a long time and maybe I can understand to a point about sensor issues, but talking about a “lock” price and seeing those variations it’s a little bit provocative I thing…

Have you factored in vat and import duty?

Regarding EU (European Union) there's not such thing as import duty between EU members. The VAT is included in my above prices regarding UK, France etc. For example I can order a camera from UK (when will be available) and including shipping costs and VAT will cost me around 2,550 euros. That will save me 500 euros.

Tom

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 am

nivou wrote:
Regarding EU (European Union) there's not such thing as import duty between EU members. The VAT is included in my above prices regarding UK, France etc. For example I can order a camera from UK (when will be available) and including shipping costs and VAT will cost me around 2,550 euros. That will save me 500 euros.

I know, but the cameras are coming from outside the EU, so each country is likely to charge a different amount of import duty and tax for their own country - so its no surprise that there is a variation.... or perhaps I am completely missing what you are saying....
Tom Majerski

nivou

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Tom wrote:
nivou wrote:

I know, but the cameras are coming from outside the EU, so each country is likely to charge a different amount of import duty and tax for their own country - so its no surprise that there is a variation.... or perhaps I am completely missing what you are saying....

No, unfortunately import duty it's not the case, my country (EU member) takes the camera from UK BMD and the suggested price derives from them, so our friends in UK put a very nice premium in the price

Fabián Matas

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 pm

nivou wrote:
Tom wrote:
nivou wrote:

No, unfortunately import duty it's not the case, my country (EU member) takes the camera from UK BMD and the suggested price derives from them, so our friends in UK put a very nice premium in the price

I'm from Spain and I have to pay around 3000€ because we have our VAT up to 21% (thanks to the delay) so... :(

Andreas Kaufmann

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm

I grant the camera to everybody who has ordered it at adorama.
But dear Blackmagic Design .. please fulfill the early orders in the rest of the world before giving december-preorders away.
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

nivou

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Fabián Matas wrote:
nivou wrote:
Tom wrote:

I'm from Spain and I have to pay around 3000€ because we have our VAT up to 21% (thanks to the delay) so... :(

My Mediterranean friend, don't blame the VAT, we have a 23% here but the price is not justified by the VAT differences between EU countries. For example pick an online store wherever you like in EU, see the price ex. VAT and put your country's VAT. That's not the case. For example in UK, which is an EU member (for now), the price excluding VAT is 1,790 pounds and if we put your VAT is 2,165.90 pounds and in euros that's around 2,520 so as you can see, VAT is not the issue, but the premium they putting. Total unfair and unprofessional.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography