Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jules Clark

Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostThu May 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Just re-opened a comp I finished animating and rendered last night and now it no longer works properly.

I'm trying to alter a material using replace material on some 3D text. It won't allow anything to be viewed in rt hand viewer, won't show changes made to the material in lefthand view, or it just hangs, then when I close the comp and try to re-open it, it just sits there as if I've done nothing and I have to shut down Fusion.

I've tried deleting some of the 3D tools and re-saved the comp as a new version, but with the same problems occuring.
I've opened the comp in F7 and it works perfectly.

After a couple of weeks use I'm starting to doubt F8's commercial usability when these issues are occurring and I have deadlines to meet, so I think I'm going to stick with F7 until F8 gets a software update.
Are any other users having similar issues? Hard to tell if it's software, hardware or combo - and particularly confusing since F7 works pretty much flawlessly with the same comps.

Jules Clark

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostThu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

... I'm using F8 Studio, not free version.

System is HP Z820, WIN7 64bit, 96GB RAM, Quadro 4000.

I've saved the problem comp in F7 with the changes I needed and then re-opened it back in F8. The comp now seems to work fine. I've got the righthand viewer back and I can make changes to the 3D materials without it hanging.

Hmmm?

Pieter Van Houte

PostThu May 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Open both files in a text editor and compare any differences to see what may cause the crash.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Travis Schmiesing

PostSat May 07, 2016 12:31 am

Is there an advantage to using v8 unless you want to run it on OSx?

Chad Capeland

PostSat May 07, 2016 1:58 am

Travis Schmiesing wrote:Is there an advantage to using v8 unless you want to run it on OSx?

There's some bug fixes, but you also lose some stuff and there's new bugs. So best to keep both on your systems. Can run them concurrently, too.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Jules Clark

PostSun May 08, 2016 11:37 pm

I've now had another problem come up with Fusion Studio 8 - the 3D view keeps playing up - sometimes I can't rotate the scene, can't move objects, it won't update as I move along the timeline and does this weird flickering if I try to move anything. Recently updated to the latest Quadro driver, but don't think it's the gfx card. Fusion7 works perfectly with the same comp.

I think I'm sticking with my nice stable F7 install - until there's a decent Fusion Studio 8 update. I can live without any of the new functions.
It's somewhat frustrating that they haven't got these issues sorted before putting it on the market for users to deal with.

Jens Noelte

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I just built my first comp in Fusion 8.2 but can't render it, Fusion 8.2 keeps crashing/shutting down during any kind of render, either through saver or disc cache or just on previews of differerent nodes. Win7 64, sufficent ram available, gtx 1080. I haven't tried a new install yet. Open GL is off, software render for 3d merge is selected.

Help please! Where can I get Fusion 7???

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

scroll down in latest downloads to find Fusion 7.7.1

Jens Noelte

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 am

Just installed and tried 7.71. It crashes even sooner than 8.2. Win7 64 plenty ram left before crash occurs.

Fusion keeps crashing as soon as I send a node to be displayed in a viewport. In 8.2 I can work with the comp if I display the first input then the next node and then work my way down the comp until everything is cached. If I select a node further down the comp at the start, or try to render the comp through a saver or cache to disc, Fusion crashes after rendering a few frames.

Anybody have an idea how I can get Fusion to work?

Jens Noelte

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

Reinstalled 8.2 and got it to work! Thanks to this this helpful advice in the forum:

find
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\FuScript.exe"
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Fusion.exe"
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\FusionServer.exe"
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\QTServer\FusionQTServer.exe"

and for each, right click and choose 'Properties'
goto 'Compatibilty' tab and set Compatibility mode [x] Run this program in compatibility mode for:
and set all to 'windows 7'

I also checked run as admin...
Last edited by Jens Noelte on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Alexander

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 10:33 am

New to Fusion - curious - what was removed between 7.7.1 and 8.2?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Ahmed Naseem

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Can anyone help me with this problem in fusion studio 8.2 ?
I don't know why this is happening when i preview the work

My Computer Details :

Chad Capeland

PostFri Sep 30, 2016 3:06 am

Talk to your reseller.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

pierre.gerard

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 am

Chad Capeland wrote:Talk to your reseller.

I have the same issue, someone know how to resolve that ?

Sam Steti

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 am

Hey,

What you see is watermark, which happens when you reach a limitation of the free version.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Jules Clark wrote:Just re-opened a comp I finished animating and rendered last night and now it no longer works properly.

I'm trying to alter a material using replace material on some 3D text. It won't allow anything to be viewed in rt hand viewer, won't show changes made to the material in lefthand view, or it just hangs, then when I close the comp and try to re-open it, it just sits there as if I've done nothing and I have to shut down Fusion.

I've tried deleting some of the 3D tools and re-saved the comp as a new version, but with the same problems occuring.

After a couple of weeks use I'm starting to doubt F8's commercial usability when these issues are occurring and I have deadlines to meet, so I think I'm going to stick with F7 until F8 gets a software update.
Are any other users having similar issues? Hard to tell if it's software, hardware or combo - and particularly confusing since F7 works pretty much flawlessly with the same comps.

im getting more and more doubts everyday if i shouldn't just try other software. im getting used to the whole UI and the way of working with all the tools, but im encountering (serious) bugs everyday. i just spent like 30/40 minutes on a simple, smooth 2d animation with some warps/transforms, and got a perfect feeling about it. i now reopened it and the animation is clearly different, like something weird happened with the gridwarp. flickering frames after a 3d renderer even though i have it on software instead of opengl (though i really, really want to use opengl)

if things like these happen just once in a while, ok. but it feels like its happening everyday. and not just on one system. i just dont want to invest much more time in solving these problems because yeah, i got deadlines too. feels like im a little whiny but i think not completely without a reason

Chris North

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:
Jules Clark wrote:Just re-opened a comp I finished animating and rendered last night and now it no longer works properly.

I'm using version 9 and experiencing constant crashes (both mac and PC). It's such a shame because I really want to invest time (and money) in a decent alternative to After Effects, mostly because of the true 3D and node workflow. But Fusion just isn't reliable enough yet. Either there are display glitches, silly bugs (hotkeys not working) or just crashes with no warning.

Compare to the trial version of NUKE.... it's like night and day.

AttilaDeak

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Ahmed Naseem wrote:Can anyone help me with this problem in fusion studio 8.2 ?
I don't know why this is happening when i preview the work

My Computer Details :

Do you have any solution for this error above? We are experimenting the same...
See here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=148051

Return to Fusion