Live Broadcast Help

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Barry28a

Live Broadcast Help

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 am

I have been trying to do my homework on the subject of Multi-Cam Live Broadcasting and if there was a test I would fail. There are so many options for my plans that I dont know whats the best and CHEAPEST. So this is what I want to do:

I am trying to provide a live broadcast of sprint car racing. I want to use 2 stationary cameras (about 300ft from computer) and 1 mobile camcorder. I plan on buying a desktop computer with Intel i7 processor to run Vidblaster Pro and stream to either LiveStream or Ustream. My thoughts are to get a Intensity Pro capture card but do I need a capture card per camera? Or can i use HDMI and the RCA at the same time on 1 card? What cameras would you suggest I use as a stationary camera and what cables should I use to go 300ft? Is there a wirelesss solution for the mobile camera?

Also, there is no internet at the racetrack. I am considering getting Verison's JetPack mobile broadband device. Anyone have a better solution than that? (comcast wanted $21k to run a line).

Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Barry

Tanner Schelle

Re: Live Broadcast Help

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 6:50 am

Hey Barry,

First off what is your budget? It's hard to talk cameras and all of that without having a dollar amount. Also the intensity is a nice addition to the computer but you will need a switcher to feed it. I would recommend the 1 M/E but if your just going to be doing three cameras then you could just go with the TV and use the H.264 USB output.

Tanner Schelle

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am

The Livestream Broadcaster with a Verizon 4G adapter would be a way cheaper way to stream the race too.

http://store.livestream.com/products/li ... roadcaster

Florian Loeffler

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 am

The Livestream Broadcaster can only stream to livestream. A better alternative maybe is Vidiu (http://www.teradek.com/pages/vidiu) but Vidiu is not released yet. With Vidiu it is possible to ad mobile connect via an USB-Stick directly connected to the device. It is supposed to stream to all major streaming services including livestream, ustream,... And the best it will have a proce tag of $ 699.-

But: I opened another Post at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4770 that is maybe interesting for you and all other users of BM products.

Cheers from Munich!
Florian

Florian Loeffler

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 7:22 am

And as switcher for 3 Cams i`d suggest the BM Television Studio for $ 999. That will perfectly do the job. I am using it with 3 Canon XA10 over HDMI.

Florian

Florian Loeffler

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 am

Sorry. me again. The Television Studio has also H.264 USB output and if you are using it in conjunction with the Livestream.com software "Livestream for Producers", the Television Studios USB H.264 output is certyfied for that software. So you just start, choose the televison Sturio as device and you`re done. As there won`t be any converting on the Mac/PC runnning livestream for Producers, the CPU idles at about 5-10% usage. Works like a charme. So on location just use a mobile UMTS/HSDPA/LTE stick ynd you`re ready to stream. Good Luck!

Barry28a

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 9:03 am

thanks for all the responces! Very helpful. My budget is $2000. I already have cameras. The Television Studio seems to be the best bet. Now I need a way to connect my camera to the Televicion Studio from about 300ft. The camera has HDMI out. What is my best option?

Tobias Dieterich

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 am

I would use the camera converters. But you could also use a mini converter and use HD-SDI.
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Florian Loeffler

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 am

for the "remote" camera i think HDMI>SDI http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... onverters/ will work as SDI will reach over that distance (as far as i know...) And in the BM Television Studio you also have 4 SDI ins.

Florian Loeffler

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 am

Toby, is there any chance to cantact you directly. As i am from Munich maybe we are able to chare thoughts and maybe someone of us needs more manpower at an event...

Return to Live Production