Protools Audio Handles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matthias Hofmeister

Protools Audio Handles

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm using DaVinci 12.5 for the first time as NLE for a current project and I really love it so far. Today I had to export my timeline to a sound studio, what I usually do with an embedded AAF File (in every other NLE). But this seems not to be an option in Resolve, so I figured out to render an AAF File with related media files using the PROTOOLS Preset. That works fine so far.

But now my question, I can't find any way to add some handles to the exported audio files, is there any solution? I was already studying the manual and asking the web, but without any success.

I think this is a must have for the sound guys in post, an AAF without handles seems pretty useless to me ...

Rakesh Malik

Re: Protools Audio Handles

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm in a similar situation; not being able to export an OMF with handles may make it not feasible to use Resolve as an NLE on projects where I'm working with sound designers using ProTools, since the AAF file I sent to my sound designer didn't import into ProTools.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

RandyLarcombe

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 am

I am having the same problem, has anyone found a solution to this? There seems to be nowhere in the export window to choose how long you want the length of the handles. While export to Protools is a nice idea it doesn't seem to be a complete function to me unless I'm missing something.

Peter Eaton

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 am

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I just locked picture on a feature and sent audio files to sound. I used the Avid AAF function, and it exported MXF files. Upon importing, the MXF files are stuttering, they are clicking and popping. Really frustrating.

Does anyone at Blackmagic Design have any idea how to fix this problem? How am I supposed to send my project to pro tools for sound mixing and mastering? What preset proves functional? I would really appreciate some insight from the BMD engineers. Have posted several posts about this today w/out any response yet...

Please. Help.

Matthias Hofmeister

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 8:03 am

This is still the one and only reason we can't switch to Resolve as our main NLE. We love to work with Fusion and Resolve for Grading, but as a NLE it's just not usable because every of our projects is finished by an external audio house and they always insist on an AAF file with handles refering to the original sound files.

So this is a big feature request for a future release, it would be great if we could just stay in Resolve and Fusion environment only.

Best regards!

Hugh Scully

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm going to toss my cookies. I have a short that I happily edited in Davinci Resolve. I'm zooming along on the latest version right now.

I exported an AAF for import to protools. I didn't see the setting for handles... otherwise, it worked great - imported fine. I'm chugging away on protools 12 - just needed to Ctrl F me some fades and guess what? There are no handles! At all. So I come here to see what dumb thing I missed and it looks like, from these posts, it doesn't export handles AT ALL! Are you kidding?

Somebody please tell me that there's a way to do this. I can't get the dialog mix done without audio handles.

I used the ProTools preset. Will the Avid AAF preset work? I will try it. ARRGGGHHHH!

This is a show stopper. You can't edit and NOT export audio with handles. I'm doing this one to see if I can actually edit with DaVinci Resolve. The answer is NO! What is the thinking here? If I were sending if off, I'd be shot right now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve