request for SDK in public version tracker or public url

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Dave Rice

request for SDK in public version tracker or public url

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi all,

A major reason that I use Blackmagic products is for the provision of a SDK that can enables free and creative integration of Blackmagic products into open source applications. However, I notice that Blackmagic has removed public urls to its SDK; for instance the public url to Blackmagic_DeckLink_SDK_10.1.4.zip is no longer available. I also notice that BlackmagicDesign has an organizational account but no public repositories available.

I'd like to propose that Blackmagic host the SDK in a public version control system so that it's easier to see the development of and/or contribute to this valuable SDK. In lieu of this I would be pleased to see Blackmagic once again use public urls for the SDK as it would facilitate building many open source tools against the sdk such as FFmpeg, bmdtools, and many others, so we can get the most out of Blackmagic products.

Thanks much for your consideration.
Dave Rice

Kieran O'Leary

Re: request for SDK in public version tracker or public url

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. In the moving image archive where I work, we have moved over to Blackmagic cards whenever we need to replace an old card or need a new capture station. The greatest reason for this is that it allows us to use open source tools that harness the decklink SDK.

I have also recommended Blackmagic to other archives based on this SDK. It would be great if the public URLs could return.

Christoph Willing

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 11:43 am

As a packager for a LInux distro community package site, I would also like to see a return to publicly available SDK downloads. Of course I can modify and rebuild my own personal packages that can use the SDK (ffmpeg has been mentioned; vlc is another) but these modifications can't be mainstreamed because of the lack of public SDK download. Without these mods being mainstreamed, every BM product user has to modify their own packages - not everyone has time, ability or inclination to do that.

Thanks,
chris

Reto Kromer

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 8:13 pm

On my side I work on a daily basis with FFmpeg, and it’s really tedious to not have any longer the publicly available SDK downloads. I second strongly the suggestion to go back to the previous openness, because Blackmagic and open source software would be again a winning team!

stuarticus

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Agreed

Dave Rice

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm

I want to point out that the marketing information on the blackmagic website advertises the capture devices as coming with an SDK that allows users to develop custom solutions to sell. For instance on the ultrastudio software page it says "Available free with all UltraStudio models is an advanced developer SDK free of charge for Mac and Windows. Develop your own custom solutions to use in house or even sell!"

As a customer of Blackmagic devices, I emailed Blackmagic support to find out how I can obtain a copy of the SDK for free that enables me to develop solutions with these permissions and was redirected back to the SDK download page of the support section which requires agreeing EULA that severely restricts my use of the SDK. The EULA required to access the SDK and the marketing material about the SDK appear to contradict each other.

I hope that Blackmagic can correct this and offer an SDK under the same terms that it uses to advertise the SDK.

Return to Software Developers