DR Doesn't Like Large Files (media offline)???

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Karl Letting

DR Doesn't Like Large Files (media offline)???

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 pm

I have just started 'trying' to use DR this weekend just gone but not having much luck!, I have been using Nivida's ShadowPlay to capture game footage and then trying to use DR to edit this footage. The first file i tried to edit (which was approx 19GB large and mp4 format) i kept getting a 'Media Offline' message for the clip when i tried to add it to the timeline to edit, in fact when i tried to play the clip the preview window kept flipping between the 'media offline' icon and also a black display with green artifacts on it....

I have researched this error and a lot of people have suggested turning auto saving off (mine isn't on to start with) and also deleting the render cache, which i have tried with no luck!!

The 2nd file i have tried to edit was again an mp4 file and this time approx 12GB large, when i added this file to the timeline to edit, it would start to show preview screenshots along the timeline but then they would just turn to solid black, if i played the clip i could hear the audio but there was no video.

Any ideas what the issues could be here?

Scott McKenzie

Re: DR Doesn't Like Large Files (media offline)???

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 1:20 am

What is the codec (MP4 is just a container), frame rate, and frame size of the file? It appears that you are running windows, correct? Could you please also post system specs including exact resolve version?
Scott McKenzie
Colorist / Finishing Editor
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Karl Letting

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 am

Hi, here is the codec information using VLC media player....

My system specs are:

Windows 10 x64
GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H
INTEL i7-4770K @ 4.2Ghz
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1600MHz
Palit GTX 1070 8GB
CRUCIAL 512GB MX100 SSD
CRUCIAL 256GB M4 SSD
WD Blue 1TB
WD GREEN 3TB
ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift G-Sync 165Hz

Resolve Ver. 12.5.2.010

thanks

Karl Letting

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 9:54 am

Any help with this?

Jean Claude

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 am

perhaps :
1- choose Playback> Proxy> half or quarter resolution and play the clip? it'os OK ?
2- transcode with DR to a lossless codec for test (it's OK) and re import the transcoded clip and play?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 2:38 pm

that frame rate is very suspicious...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Steve Alexander

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 4:18 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:that frame rate is very suspicious...

Agreed but I think VLC tries to do some sort of calculation based on number of video frames over a time period established by the audio stream's duration... maybe?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:that frame rate is very suspicious...

Agreed but I think VLC tries to do some sort of calculation based on number of video frames over a time period established by the audio stream's duration... maybe?

exactly, that mean that you have a variable frame rate clip and resolve do not like that at all.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Karl Letting

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Hmm, so Resolve is like Adobe Premiere then??, why is it that Sony Vegas is the only editing software that doesn't have issues with variable framerate!!?, if only Sony Vegas didn't have ridiculous encoidng times i would use that all the time!.

I was hoping resolve would work but looks like it has the same issues as Adobe. :(. Back to using Avisynth then

Jean Claude

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Warning
Avisynth is only 8 bits.
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Steve Alexander

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Karl Letting wrote:I was hoping resolve would work but looks like it has the same issues as Adobe. :(. Back to using Avisynth then

Perhaps you can alter the way ShadowPlay records to a format suitable for Resolve? Is that possible?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Karl Letting

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Warning Avisynth is only 8 bits.

Avisynth may only be 8 bit but if you use it with AvsPmod its fairly effect if you dont mind the code side of it, thats why i wanted to try something that had a slightly easier interface, but AvSPmod just seems to work with anything where as im find out more expensive programs dont

Steve Alexander wrote:Perhaps you can alter the way ShadowPlay records to a format suitable for Resolve? Is that possible?

Sadly not, shadowplay only seems to record at a variable framerate not constant. I could use something like handbrake to convert the file to constant framerate but that just an extra process to add in and if the files are large it will be time consuming to boot.

Im not sure what Sony Vegas does different from Abode and Resolve that make it not seem to be an issue where variable framerates are involved.

Its a shame really as Resolve was shaping up to be very promising! :(

Karl Letting

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Also just tried another file which has a constant framerate and Resolve is giving me 'Media offline' message again, the like is approx 12GB large so i defiantly think Resolve has issues with large file types!?....

Scott McKenzie

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 am

It's more likely that it's a codec or file encoding issue. I and many others work with files much larger than this regularly.

If you capture a short file using the exact same process as the others, do you have the same issue? If so, could you post the short file for troubleshooting purposes? If not, could you post the constant frame rate file? I know 12GB is pretty large, but without an offending file it is very difficult to troubleshoot.
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Dermot Shane

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 5:22 am

Scott McKenzie wrote: I and many others work with files much larger than this regularly.

+1

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 5:27 am

H.264 is not a great format for post-production in general, period. I would convert it to something like ProRes (under Mac OSX) or DNxHR (for Windows) instead in order to lighten the CPU load.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 6:55 am

Karl Letting wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:Warning Avisynth is only 8 bits.

Avisynth may only be 8 bit but if you use it with AvsPmod its fairly effect if you dont mind the code side of it, thats why i wanted to try something that had a slightly easier interface, but AvSPmod just seems to work with anything where as im find out more expensive programs dont

Steve Alexander wrote:Perhaps you can alter the way ShadowPlay records to a format suitable for Resolve? Is that possible?

Sadly not, shadowplay only seems to record at a variable framerate not constant. I could use something like handbrake to convert the file to constant framerate but that just an extra process to add in and if the files are large it will be time consuming to boot.

Im not sure what Sony Vegas does different from Abode and Resolve that make it not seem to be an issue where variable framerates are involved.

Its a shame really as Resolve was shaping up to be very promising! :(

If it is for the interface, rather I prefer VirtualDub. There are quicktime plugin for playing MP4. You can force the framerate to 60 fps constant.

In addition, if you installed the blackmagic codec, you can export to AVI 8 or 10 bits and these are directly readable avi Davinci Resolve.

Karl Letting

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Scott McKenzie wrote:It's more likely that it's a codec or file encoding issue. I and many others work with files much larger than this regularly.

If you capture a short file using the exact same process as the others, do you have the same issue? If so, could you post the short file for troubleshooting purposes? If not, could you post the constant frame rate file? I know 12GB is pretty large, but without an offending file it is very difficult to troubleshoot.

Ok i have just captured a file under 1GB, and it loads up in the timeline fine.

Not sure where i could upload a 12 GB file to so you can have a look??

Marc Wielage wrote:H.264 is not a great format for post-production in general, period. I would convert it to something like ProRes (under Mac OSX) or DNxHR (for Windows) instead in order to lighten the CPU load.

I use OBS to capture stuff and the only file formats that supports is..

mov
mp4
flv
mkv
ts
m3u8

Scott McKenzie

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Karl Letting wrote:Ok i have just captured a file under 1GB, and it loads up in the timeline fine.

What about something a little larger? This could just take some trial and error to create an offending file that isn't too big.

Karl Letting wrote:Not sure where i could upload a 12 GB file to so you can have a look??

Dropbox maybe. 12GB is pretty big, there aren't many free services that support large files.

Karl Letting wrote:I use OBS to capture stuff and the only file formats that supports is..

mov
mp4
flv
mkv
ts
m3u8

These are all containers. Some are pretty restrictive, but others (mov, mkv) can accept pretty much anything. What options do you have for mov captures?

One other thing you could try is if you have ffmpeg installed, re-wrapping the mp4 file as an mov. This should re-build the file headers and may just fix your issue.
The command would be:
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i *your file path.mp4* -c copy "new file path.mov"
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Karl Letting

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Ok, i have tried using a mov recording format in OBS and i have still got the same issues with a approx 2GB file, i even tried deleting the render cache but it didnt help, i have quicktime player installed as well. Here's a video showing the issue....

Scott McKenzie

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 3:56 am

Around 2GB isn't too bad. Could you post a link to the file for testing / troubleshooting purposes?
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Karl Letting

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 9:07 am

Scott McKenzie wrote:Around 2GB isn't too bad. Could you post a link to the file for testing / troubleshooting purposes?

Ok here's the file uploaded to my Google Drive.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-O4Xe ... sp=sharing

Karl Letting

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Have you had a chance to test my file yet?

Steve Alexander

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Karl Letting wrote:Have you had a chance to test my file yet?

I just gave it a shot in Resolve and it is borked (is that what the kids are saying these days?).

I'll try it in Media Composer to see if that works...

No go in Media Composer but I was able to drop it into Sorenson Squeeze and at least see the images throughout.

Something is not entirely right with this video. Maybe others will have a better idea as to what's going on...

BTW - Squeeze couldn't transcode your 2GB file - seems that there's something corrupt even though Squeeze can view it ... weird.
Time Traveller

Karl Letting

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Hmm maybe its something OBS is doing when its encoding the file on the fly?

Ive gone back to using AviSynth (AvsPmod) and RipBot for the time being to editing and rendering my videos, that doesn't seem to have issues at all and its what ive always used, i just want to have a better user interface when editing my videos and Resolve seems really good...apart from the fact that it doesn't like any of my captured filed :(

Steve Alexander

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 8:19 pm

That's too bad. There is something wrong with that captured file - too bad we can't figure out what the issue is. Could be something in the header that some NLEs pay attention to and others do not...

Good luck!
Time Traveller

Scott McKenzie

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 pm

So I had a chance to look at the file and I've got some interesting results over here.

The file loads in Resolve on my system (OS X 10.11.6, Resolve Studio 12.5.2.010), but Resolve doesn't appear to like the h.264 encoding. It plays, but isn't able to fully decode the frames (it's showing lots of blocking). I'm able to play the file in QT7, VLC, and Switch with no issues, although moving the playhead around will appear really garbled for a bit until the player has a chance to rebuild the frame. This is the biggest problem of using Long-GOP formats in post-production. You will most likely need to transcode the video to a more post friendly format, even if it is just re-encoding the h.264 codec to a more standard set of parameters.

I've re-encoded the first minute of the video using ffmpeg and just the default h264 parameters and it now plays fine in Resolve for me. Here's a link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qo0mai8pmwc6dt/ResolveTestFile-ReEncode.mov?dl=0

The code I used for ffmpeg was:
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i ~/Downloads/ResolveTestFile.mov -map 0 -c copy -c:v h264 ~/Downloads/ResolveTestFile-ReEncode.mov

You could choose any of the many formats available and customize the encoding to suit your needs.
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

ScottQuat

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:58 am

It seems that your 4K footage are in 4k resolution which looks amazing, but if you don’t know how to work with them your computer may freeze when working with them in NLE systems like DaVinci Resolve.

One workaround is to downsize the source MP4 in 4K to 1080p with lower bitrate and rewrap as mov format with DNxHD codec. After re-building the file headers, get the exported MOV files for use in DaVinci Resolve with optimum performance. [mediadimo.com/4k-to-hd-converter.html]

Karl Letting

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

So is it something the OBS software is doing, when im encoding the video on the fly?, do any of you guys use OBS at all, would it be as simple as changing just 1 setting maybe to get the captures using OBS to work with Resolve, i mean OBS has a fair few settings for the encoding, x264, QuickSync H264 or NVENC H.264
Last edited by Karl Letting on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott McKenzie

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

I've never used OBS, but it definitely looks like an encoding setting. Try using x264. If there's any setting for Open-GOP or Closed-GOP make sure you're using Closed-GOP.
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Karl Letting

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:36 pm

No i dont think there is, i dont even know what GOP is?

This is the current settings i have set.....

Scott McKenzie

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:45 pm

GOP stands for "Group Of Pictures" and is the type of encoding that h264 along with many other formats use. Really quickly, it compresses the video over time so frames are created from other frames (terrible for post production).

Try turning off 2-pass encoding, and try setting keyframes to 1 second.
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

Karl Letting

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Ok, il give that a go, ill set the quality really high to produce a large file size in a short amount of time.

What does the B-Frame setting effect??

Karl Letting

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Well just created a 19GB file and it seems to work just fine in Resolve!! :D

Not sure if it was the 2-pass encoding or keyframes settings that fixed it

Scott McKenzie

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:32 pm

That's great. Could have been either. Depending on the quality of the 1-pass file, you could try enabling 2-pass and testing.
Scott McKenzie
Vancouver, BC. Canada

jendabek

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello, I use OBS Studio too, but I have only x264 encoder available in Encoder rollout.
This doesn't allow me to set those GOP values so I could try to fix the "media offline" issue this way.

Any idea what to try so I can use the editor properly for OBS videos?
Thanks!

Windows 10 64-bit
16GB RAM
ATI 5870 1GB
Xeon X5650

EDIT: Tried to manually set those options via parameters input field and it didn't make any change. Still "Media offline". No other editor has problem with those videos :cry:

Return to DaVinci Resolve