Decklink Mini Monitor Deep Color

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fabián Matas

Decklink Mini Monitor Deep Color

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 4:38 pm

I wanted to ask if Decklink Mini Monitor does have Deep color for 10 bit hdmi output? I'm gona buy a cg247x and they specify this:

A graphics board and software which support 10-bit output are also necessary for 10-bit display. Equipment that supports Deep Color is necessary with the HDMI inputs.

thanks in advance,

Barry Murphy

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor Deep Color

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 12:08 pm

+ 1 on this, just bought a CG277 and have exactly the same question. Anyone able to shed some light on this ?

Cheers

Willian Aleman

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Fabián Matas wrote:I wanted to ask if Decklink Mini Monitor does have Deep color for 10 bit hdmi output? I'm gona buy a cg247x and they specify this:

A graphics board and software which support 10-bit output are also necessary for 10-bit display. Equipment that supports Deep Color is necessary with the HDMI inputs.

thanks in advance,

Yes. The DeckLink has 10-bit color precision in the HDMI Output.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Adam Simmons

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 pm

The thing you have to take into account is whether the monitor supports the Mini Monitors output formats. You may have to look at the Mini Monitor 4k
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Samuel Delacroix

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Didn't find that post in the forum, thank you.

So what did I do wrong with my setup? The graphics card of my Mac Pro does support 10 bit. I checked that with Apple's knowledge database. So does the Eizo and the UltraStudio.
In the preferences of DaVinci I set the bit depth of video monitoring to 10 bit.

But why is the preview monitor showing banding? If it were true 10 bit, it wouldn't do that, right?
What am I missing?

Adam Simmons wrote:The thing you have to take into account is whether the monitor supports the Mini Monitors output formats. You may have to look at the Mini Monitor 4k

What output formats are we talking about? Resolution?

Thank you.

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 pm

My UltraStudio MiniMonitor doesn't provide 10bit for my Eizo CG247 via HDMI.
Instead I take the SDI out to a HDLink Pro and from there I use the DisplayPort to the Eizo for 10bit signaling.

Samuel Delacroix

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Erik Wittbusch wrote:My UltraStudio MiniMonitor doesn't provide 10bit for my Eizo CG247 via HDMI.
Instead I take the SDI out to a HDLink Pro and from there I use the DisplayPort to the Eizo for 10bit signaling.

Oops, I confused this thread with my original one, which wasn't approved at the time.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54286&e=0

Sorry about that.

But since we're talking, would a simple converter like the BM Micro Converter SDI to HDMI hooked up behind the Mini Monitor suffice for 10 bit out?

I don't want to invest too much into FHD-Tech anymore, since 4K is ante portas.

Appreciate it!

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 pm

You really should ask BMD support or check out by yourself.
I know some people claiming to get 10bit color with the MiniMonitor's HDMI...

Christian Lessner

PostFri Dec 02, 2016 6:52 pm

I have done the following test with my GUI display HP z24x.

1. Generate gray ramp in Resolve and export a frame to 16 bit TIFF
2. Display said TIFF in xnview and set it to fullscreen. This is on DVI input (8 Bit).
3. The BM Mini Monitor HDMI out is connected to the same monitor, showing the same ramp.
4. Switch back and forth between HDMI and DVI.
5. Observe that banding is visible on DVI input, but no banding on HDMI.

Conclusion: The BM Mini Monitor card does indeed output 10 Bit on HDMI.

But: There might be some kind of "handshake" between the devices to configure the mode and maybe Eizo mucks that one up, resulting in the Mini Monitor switching to 8 Bit.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 | Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Intel i9-10980XE | RTX 3090 (528.49 SD) | 64 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (12.4.2) | Mini Panel

Paulo Jan

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Christian Lessner wrote:
Conclusion: The BM Mini Monitor card does indeed output 10 Bit on HDMI.

But: There might be some kind of "handshake" between the devices to configure the mode and maybe Eizo mucks that one up, resulting in the Mini Monitor switching to 8 Bit.

Resurrecting this old thread, since I just spent an afternoon researching this very issue. It seemed to me, after reading everything written about this, that this mysterious "handshake" is what specs keep calling "Deep Color", which must be something more specific than just 10-bit color, and must involve something mysterious. Also, "Deep Color" is a term that keeps appearing in the context of HDMI specs.

So I had an idea, and went looking for the official HDMI specification. It is a proprietary document, but I managed to find it (ahem :lol: ), and... guess what: it says that, when transmitting "deep color" (higher than 8 bit depth), images MUST be transmitted in RGB or YUV 444... but NOT YUV 422.

Now, the Mini Monitor's spec page (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-DLK-06) say that it has 10-bit color precision... but ONLY YUV 422 color subsampling. Noticeably, the "HDMI" portion of the spec doesn't use the "Deep Color" term anywhere. On the other hand, the Mini Monitor 4K's spec does say clearly "Deep Color" (and also says "HDMI Video Sampling: 4:4:4, 4:2:2 & 4:2:0").

Erik Wittbusch: I've been finding your posts about the subject everywhere (both here and in LiftGammaGain), since you seem to have a very similar setup to mine (I also have an Eizo CG247), and I've been following your email rounds with Eizo and Blackmagic's support. I don't know if you are still interested in the issue, but I guess this finally answers the question you had in this post (http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/inde ... post-56707). And that also means, I guess, that we now know specifically what to shop for if we want to send 10 bits to the Eizo...

Craig Marshall

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 2:44 am

There are a number of us who have had this problem over the fast few years and still, the best solution for those wanting to use accurate 'computer' monitors with Resolve (as opposed to a true SDI 'video' monitors) appears to be: avoid HDMI all together and convert SDI to Display Port. We use the BMD HD Link converter and achieve Rec.709 at 10bit 4:4:4 on our PG2401PT display.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Return to Post Production