DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

mattfezz

  • Posts: 122
  • Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 7:01 pm

• Timecode out when in the edit page over SDI/RP188.
Works great in color room & deliver room, but when in the edit room it doesn't output anything.

• Ability to use both "copy and trim" and "relink to new files" at the same time when media managing timelines (I think this used to work in resolve 12?)

• Copy local grades to remote grades (new versions created for non-identical grades for same clip source)

• Some type of AE style mesh-warp as a resolve FX

• Disable Output Blanking in deliver page

• Automatically re-smart cache transitions etc when blanking changes (shots remain blanked currently unless re-cached manually)

• Ability to freeze frame a node at a specific timecode/current frame (for when using key lock and cloning) (not sure if this is possible)

• make offset wheel a bit more intuitive to access on big panel and allow it to be used with 4th trackball on tangent element

• a bit of attention to the mc color mapping (shadow/highlight control & master offset next to contrast/pivot would be lovely)

• A relatively simple one click option in the stabiliser to smooth out the shot (like smooth cam/warp stabiliser). Compared to how simple it is to track, doing simple stabilisers sometimes can be fiddly with less than ideal footage.

• Make clicking on keyframes a bit more forgiving in color room especially for pen&tablet. Might just be me, but I can never get my wacom pen to work on them (can click & drag fine, but if i click on them they won't stay selected) Have to use mouse.
Offline

Ara Thomassian

  • Posts: 99
  • Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Can we please get rid of the annoying "No color correction information is stored in the still" error pop up..

I hate that thing with the fire of 100 suns.
Offline

Alex Potemkin

  • Posts: 131
  • Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:27 pm
  • Location: Queens, NY

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 4:10 am

John Paines wrote:
Alex Potemkin wrote:What about MULTIPLE in/out points?
The idea is:
I have the long footage, and I want to use couple fragments from this one.
Now, the only way to do it is cutting the footage at the edit page.
Why not create multiple IN/OUT points at the review stage on the MEDIA tab? Then, after dragging to the timeline, the footage should be imported as the series of clips according to the markup.


Double click the clip in the Media Storage page, mark in/out points, right click the bar, create subclip. Repeat. All the subclips created in this way will be added to the media pool. Don't think anyone would want to do this without discrete subclips, even if the system allowed it(?)


Yes, but why not multiple in-out then "create subclips"? :) It will be much faster anyway, and easy to manage the project if you will be able to see all working fragments together in the one source footage.
Alex Potemkin
http://yourphoto.nyc
http://yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
http://alexpotemkin.com
Offline
User avatar

seanross67

  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Timeline specific resolutions, instead of project wide. (For example, just had to finish an indie at resolution 2.39 domestic AND 1.78 for foreign. 2 separate projects instead of 2 separate timelines.

Timeline frame rate changes, instead of project wide.[/quote]

I think this is the most vital change if Davinci wants to be a finishing and/or editing package!!! But I think it is a huge one, as it seems that it underlies the entire Resolve paradigm.
Linux Resolve on a Centos workstation. 3 Titan GPU cards and 32gb RAM. Davinci Resolve 15.2
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 3:21 pm

seanross67 wrote:Timeline specific resolutions, instead of project wide. (For example, just had to finish an indie at resolution 2.39 domestic AND 1.78 for foreign. 2 separate projects instead of 2 separate timelines.

Timeline frame rate changes, instead of project wide

I think this is the most vital change if Davinci wants to be a finishing and/or editing package!!! But I think it is a huge one, as it seems that it underlies the entire Resolve paradigm.

Agreed on this one
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Jakob Kenda

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:17. Resolve Lite for Linux [ by Martin Schitter ].

A version of Resolve Lite that works on all Linux distributions would be very nice.
That way I could get rid of Windows and fill its space with more usefull stuff. :D
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 7:15 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
seanross67 wrote:Timeline specific resolutions, instead of project wide. (For example, just had to finish an indie at resolution 2.39 domestic AND 1.78 for foreign. 2 separate projects instead of 2 separate timelines.

Timeline frame rate changes, instead of project wide

I think this is the most vital change if Davinci wants to be a finishing and/or editing package!!! But I think it is a huge one, as it seems that it underlies the entire Resolve paradigm.

Agreed on this one
I agree as well. Professional finishing tools need this flexibility.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 5:56 am

Jakob Kenda wrote:
Njordy Jovanovich wrote:17. Resolve Lite for Linux [ by Martin Schitter ].

A version of Resolve Lite that works on all Linux distributions would be very nice.
That way I could get rid of Windows and fill its space with more usefull stuff. :D


not going to happen IMHO...
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline
User avatar

Jean Claude

  • Posts: 2973
  • Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm
  • Location: France
  • Warnings: 1

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 7:37 am

For Davinci resolve Studio Windows version, I wish the possibility to buy a plugin to have PRORES (delivery/transcode)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |
Offline
User avatar

dariobigi

  • Posts: 269
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 am
  • Location: New York City

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
dariobigi wrote:Add/Update the Safe Area settings.
Safe Area/Title to RP-2046 (safe area 93%, safe title 90%) and EBU R95 (safe area 96.5%, safe title 95%) standards


better, let the user define % for both horizontal and vertical independently. that is one of the few thing I miss from quantel.

and I could have up to 3 aspect ratio at the same time (the safe Area lines)

How about presets and a user defined option? This way we know they are accurate without having to look up all the details and still some user defined presets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Editor / Colorist CSI
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 646-436-4600

HP z840 - (2) 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM - 2 TitanX 12GB - SSD 8TB RAID - Win 10 Pro 1809 - DR 15.3 Studio - Fusion 9.0.2 Studio - BMD Mini Panel - FSI CM250 - Panny BT300
Offline

William Eguienta

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:53 pm
  • Location: Montpellier, France

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 6:45 am

Resolve need to Follow exactly the aces standard, not the case here


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 9:08 pm

William Eguienta wrote:Resolve need to Follow exactly the aces standard, not the case here


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
can you elaborate?
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Zeb Chadfield

  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 7:00 pm

I want (more that my clients want) a big timecode window to pop up for my clients reviews. Also RP188 timecode comes through to external scopes/monitor when reviewing in colour or delivery. I'm doing more reviews from the edit tab as I'm updating subtitles etc more than grades so it would be great to have the embedded timecode coming via SDI when in the edit tab too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offline

Zeb Chadfield

  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Someone mentioned clone stamp that would be great. The only thing I miss from Media Composer is the paint effect. Tends to get you out of a bunch of situations and has clone within it. There are other handy bits but clone is the main one. Also adjustment layers or effects would come in handy. I have tried to replicate the way it works in FCPX using an empty title but it's a no go. You can kind of make it happen with a compound clip but that isn't ideal, I may want an effect to go across multiple edits or easily place it throughout the timeline or extend/reduce etc.
Last edited by Zeb Chadfield on Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 3005
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 2:28 am

Zeb Chadfield wrote:Also adjustment layers or effects would come in happy..... I may want an effect to go across multiple edits or easily place it throughout the timeline or extend/reduce etc.


You can apply the equivalent of an adjustment layer to an entire timeline in the color page -- switch the setting from clip to timeline, upper right. But unless you create compound clips, the effects are applied either at the clip level or to the entire timeline, nothing in-between.
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 6096
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 4:24 am

Jean Claude wrote:For Davinci resolve Studio Windows version, I wish the possibility to buy a plugin to have PRORES (delivery/transcode)

That decision is up to Apple, not BMD. My observation is that I don't think BMD would want to rock the boat with Apple by encouraging a 3rd party company to provide a plug-in that could allow pseudo-ProRes under Windows.

Zeb Chadfield wrote:I want (more that my clients want) a big timecode window to pop up for my clients reviews.

Gee, the timecode font can go all the way to 540 lines (this screen grab is 320). How much bigger does it need to be?

Image
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline
User avatar

Jean Claude

  • Posts: 2973
  • Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm
  • Location: France
  • Warnings: 1

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 10:33 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:For Davinci resolve Studio Windows version, I wish the possibility to buy a plugin to have PRORES (delivery/transcode)

That decision is up to Apple, not BMD. My observation is that I don't think BMD would want to rock the boat with Apple by encouraging a 3rd party company to provide a plug-in that could allow pseudo-ProRes under Windows.


At least I will have tried. I understand BMD very well.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |
Offline

Martin Schitter

  • Posts: 899
  • Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 12:01 pm

Jean Claude wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:For Davinci resolve Studio Windows version, I wish the possibility to buy a plugin to have PRORES (delivery/transcode)

That decision is up to Apple, not BMD. My observation is that I don't think BMD would want to rock the boat with Apple by encouraging a 3rd party company to provide a plug-in that could allow pseudo-ProRes under Windows.
At least I will have tried. I understand BMD very well.


IMHO an open API to build resolve third party extensions would be enough to solve this issue.
specialized software houses are offering similar products for other software as well (i.e. drastic technologies mediareactor). they are apparently more successful dealing with apples and pears (and penguins).
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 12:58 am

about the timecode, the ability to save a still with or without burn in.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Zeb Chadfield

  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 2:32 pm

John Paines wrote:
Zeb Chadfield wrote:Also adjustment layers or effects would come in happy..... I may want an effect to go across multiple edits or easily place it throughout the timeline or extend/reduce etc.


You can apply the equivalent of an adjustment layer to an entire timeline in the color page -- switch the setting from clip to timeline, upper right. But unless you create compound clips, the effects are applied either at the clip level or to the entire timeline, nothing in-between.


I'm after an adjustment over a few sections. Not the whole timeline. This is more from an editing point of view. a quick example would be to create a transition that zooms in and has an OFX bad tv effect on it. I just want to take that and pop it over a bunch of cut points or have a look that is over my flash backs or pretitles that also includes scanlines, or other effects and I want to be able to layer them wherever I like and have them effect the below layers. Easily done in Prem Pro, FCPX and Avid, one of the few things missing in Resolve. Compound clips can get messy very quickly. I like to be able to look at my timeline and be able to see exactly what is going on where, also makes it easier for anyone at my company taking over a project.
Offline

Zeb Chadfield

  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Zeb Chadfield wrote:I want (more that my clients want) a big timecode window to pop up for my clients reviews.

Gee, the timecode font can go all the way to 540 lines (this screen grab is 320). How much bigger does it need to be?

Image


I don't want to burn it in on my output. I want it in the GUI. I may have a lot of effects that enabling this would require rerendering. Also I want to be able to monitor my scopes correctly and not have them effected by the timecode, also don't want the timecode taking over the reference monitor and potentially cover something of importance that we need to pickup in the review like a dead pixel etc.
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 3005
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Zeb Chadfield wrote:I want to be able to layer them wherever I like and have them effect the below layers. Easily done in Prem Pro, FCPX and Avid, one of the few things missing in Resolve.


It would be a nice feature, but Avid, Premiere and FCPX integrate color correction and adjustment layers into the editing timeline because color-grading is at most an after-thought and the timeline is where everything takes place.

Since Resolve offers two distinct applications, I'm not sure you can expect (or that professional graders would want) the same level of integration from the editing timeline, any more than Avid or Premiere integrate Protools or AE into their timeline GUIs.
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 8:50 pm

John Paines wrote:
Zeb Chadfield wrote:I want to be able to layer them wherever I like and have them effect the below layers. Easily done in Prem Pro, FCPX and Avid, one of the few things missing in Resolve.
Since Resolve offers two distinct applications, I'm not sure you can expect (or that professional graders would want) the same level of integration from the editing timeline, any more than Avid or Premiere integrate Protools or AE into their timeline GUIs.
I agree that the notion of layer- or track-based adjustments may be out of the context of Resolve's heritage. However, if Blackmagic truly has aspirations for Resolve to become a full-flegded NLE, competing with the likes of Premier and Media Composer, then this type of functionality needs to be addressed. There are an endless list of editorial scenarios where this is required.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 6096
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 2:04 am

waltervolpatto wrote:about the timecode, the ability to save a still with or without burn in.

Now THAT I would like. At the moment, the Gallery signal chain is before the timecode.

Zeb Chadfield wrote:I don't want to burn it in on my output. I want it in the GUI. I may have a lot of effects that enabling this would require rerendering. Also I want to be able to monitor my scopes correctly and not have them effected by the timecode, also don't want the timecode taking over the reference monitor and potentially cover something of importance that we need to pickup in the review like a dead pixel etc.

OK, but that's not what you originally asked for.

It sounds like what you want is two simultaneous outputs, one that has visible timecode in the picture, and one that does not have visible timecode in the picture.

When I review with clients, I typically make the timecode small but readable at the very bottom left or the very top left, right at the raster, with white level at about 60 or so. It's bright enough to be seen, not so bright that it's distracting. I think the timecode comes almost last in the chain and does not have to be cached in the case of a node cache situation. If you're using optimized media, I can't help you.

There is hardware available that will superimpose visible timecode in the image using HD-SDI connections and normal analog timecode audio inputs. Evertz is a good choice -- I think their units start at around $1200.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline
User avatar

Nick Lear

  • Posts: 105
  • Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:58 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 7:23 am

Working with audio plug-ins needs a bit of help. For example, displaying the parameters in the inspector without a disclosure triangle can mean a lot of scrolling just to go and find the GUI button for the next plug in.
Win Pro 10, i7-7700K 4.2GHZ, 32GB RAM, RX 480 8GB VRAM, Resolve 15.3.1, dual HD monitors, DeckLink Mini Monitor feeds client TV. SSD boot drive, external drives for rushes.
Offline
User avatar

timbutt2

  • Posts: 1325
  • Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm in agreement about the individual timeline resolutions and frame rates over project based. This is a feature I've been hoping for as it's something I'm able to do in Premiere Pro without blinking.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, URSA Mini 4.6K EF & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Late 2015) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
Offline

Peter Cordes

  • Posts: 176
  • Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 am

Hi,

I wish to have the possibility to define which Audio-Tracks of the source files are mapped to which audio-tracks in the timeline.

Let me explain:
X-AVC always has 8 audio-tracks. I normally use two of them. Track 1 for the microphone on the boom pole, track 3 as a sync-track with the built-in microphone of the FS7.

So it would be very handy if I could define, to import source-track 1 to timeline-track 1, source-track 3 to timeline-track 2 and to ignore (don't import) the other 6 tracks.

Thanks.
Peter
Offline

Alexandre Westphal

  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm
  • Location: Paris

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 1:10 pm

Peter Cordes wrote:Hi,

I wish to have the possibility to define which Audio-Tracks of the source files are mapped to which audio-tracks in the timeline.

Let me explain:
X-AVC always has 8 audio-tracks. I normally use two of them. Track 1 for the microphone on the boom pole, track 3 as a sync-track with the built-in microphone of the FS7.

So it would be very handy if I could define, to import source-track 1 to timeline-track 1, source-track 3 to timeline-track 2 and to ignore (don't import) the other 6 tracks.

Thanks.
Peter


And the Audio options of the "clip attribute" menu don't allow to do that ?
www.embelliefilms.fr
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4203
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Al Spaeth wrote:Output Formats
Please add H.264 MP4


Man, is this desperately needed.

As is an unmuxed, Blu-ray compliant M4V and WAV option. (Or a .264 and .wav option.)
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4203
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:50 pm

John Paines wrote:the effects are applied either at the clip level or to the entire timeline, nothing in-between.


That is why Adjustment Layers are needed.
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 10:47 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:the effects are applied either at the clip level or to the entire timeline, nothing in-between.


That is why Adjustment Layers are needed.


I like the way sone software implement this.

I think is resolve could be easily implemented as [effect clip] that look like any clip from editorial point of view, but it does not contain any media. if you go to the color page, the clip will just get the input from whatever clip result is underneath and apply the node structure.

you can easily span multiple clips, creating a layer effect.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Dermot Shane

  • Posts: 1940
  • Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:48 pm
  • Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:the effects are applied either at the clip level or to the entire timeline, nothing in-between.


That is why Adjustment Layers are needed.


I like the way sone software implement this.

I think is resolve could be easily implemented as [effect clip] that look like any clip from editorial point of view, but it does not contain any media. if you go to the color page, the clip will just get the input from whatever clip result is underneath and apply the node structure.

you can easily span multiple clips, creating a layer effect.


+1
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4203
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 4:10 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:implemented as [effect clip] that look like any clip from editorial point of view, but it does not contain any media. if you go to the color page, the clip will just get the input from whatever clip result is underneath and apply the node structure.

you can easily span multiple clips, creating a layer effect.


That is pretty much the definition of an Adjustment Layer. It'd be a great new feature foe Resolve.
Offline

Zeb Chadfield

  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 4:32 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Zeb Chadfield wrote:I don't want to burn it in on my output. I want it in the GUI. I may have a lot of effects that enabling this would require rerendering. Also I want to be able to monitor my scopes correctly and not have them effected by the timecode, also don't want the timecode taking over the reference monitor and potentially cover something of importance that we need to pickup in the review like a dead pixel etc.

OK, but that's not what you originally asked for.


More like the attached which is just a screen shot of the timecode zoomed in. I get this all the time in client viewings. I have external hardware at my office for this (although when in edit mode timecode doesn't come through) which I use there but when I'm onsite with clients I need to have timecode up in the GUI as I do with every other NLE so would be handy to have when needed. Timecode on the monitor is a no go as I can have 5 or more clients that all want to see it for notes and I can't have it impacting the reference monitor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 16.26.40.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 16.26.40.png (512.63 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
Offline

Alexandre Westphal

  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm
  • Location: Paris

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:implemented as [effect clip] that look like any clip from editorial point of view, but it does not contain any media. if you go to the color page, the clip will just get the input from whatever clip result is underneath and apply the node structure.

you can easily span multiple clips, creating a layer effect.


That is pretty much the definition of an Adjustment Layer. It'd be a great new feature foe Resolve.


Hi all,
is that really different to the group level nodes (and effects) ? (effects and nodes you can apply to a number of clip, between one and the all timeline) ?

For the timecode window, this would be really useful. I remember that in the first version of FCPX, there was a plugin for that. So maybe an OFX plugin that pops up a window with the timeline TC inside could do the trick...if any developper comes by... :mrgreen:
www.embelliefilms.fr
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 9:43 pm

yes it is, you cannot use the groups to workaround certain situations.

let me explain: assume that you have a shot with in v2 a graphic, you want to do a global effect: either you do a compound clip of that or you cannot get the result and go for it.

you might already use the group for, you know, groups.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

William Eguienta

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:53 pm
  • Location: Montpellier, France

DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 11:24 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
William Eguienta wrote:Resolve need to Follow exactly the aces standard, not the case here


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
can you elaborate?


Resolve isnt reconized by the aces standard because it doesn't precisely follow it

I'm not a technician but you can find more infos about it on acescentral.com forum


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 12:39 pm

that's funny. AFAIK, resolve had the same aces implementation than baselight, I really don't know what are you getting the info.

edit: http://acescentral.com/t/no-davinci-resolve-section/555

if that is what are referring to, I still have to see issues with aces in resolve, (and I saw some with OCIO in nuke that should not have been there).
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline
User avatar

dariobigi

  • Posts: 269
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 am
  • Location: New York City

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 am

Media Management
Files which cannot be trimmed (which are supposed to move or copy instead as a default) sometimes crash the Media Manager or give errors which no not help fix/determine the issue. A possible list view/breakdown of files/actions would be of help prior to starting the process. See Resolve Collect for the Mac and pay Nicolai Waldman for a windows version.
Dario Bigi, Editor / Colorist CSI
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 646-436-4600

HP z840 - (2) 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM - 2 TitanX 12GB - SSD 8TB RAID - Win 10 Pro 1809 - DR 15.3 Studio - Fusion 9.0.2 Studio - BMD Mini Panel - FSI CM250 - Panny BT300
Offline
User avatar

cezmikardas

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:17 pm
  • Location: TURKEY / Istanbul

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 am

Gamut Scope
When working, it would be nice to see which color is in space.
Image
CezmiKARDAŞ | CSI
DIRECTOR | COLORIST | VFX ARTIST
cezmikardas.com

DaVinci Resolve Studio R16.1
DeckLink HD Extreme 2
Windows 10 x64 1903
Intel i7 990x CPU
48Gb DDR3 Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb Ram
Asus Rampage Formula 3
Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 pm

cezmikardas wrote:Gamut Scope
When working, it would be nice to see which color is in space.
Image


I like the idea, but I cannot use it effectively... also the gamut only have meaning of match the display used, otherwise is meaningless.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Hilary Glaps

  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am
  • Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 3:34 pm

For the 13th DaVinci Resolve version,
I would wish the resolve an alternative
For which PhotoRam is reworked.
A great alternative to Lightroom.

In addition, I would like functions for the timelapse editing.

Thank you very much
Hilary
Offline
User avatar

Alex Mitchell

  • Posts: 104
  • Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Request: Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB support for DNG decoding

There are tangible benefits to using Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB--compared to BMDFilm--when decoding DNGs. It would be as much of a benefit to BMD camera users as it would be for Digital Bolex users to have Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB supported in the Camera Raw panel of DaVinci Resolve.

The biggest benefit right now is that highlight information that exists >5 stops above middle grey would be preserved instead of clipped. This affects nearly every BMD camera at some point, especially when you're exposing for higher ISOs. Considering that more cameras are beginning to support DNG encoding while also expanding their dynamic range and base sensitivities, this is only going to become a bigger problem in the future.

The specifications for Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB are documented and published openly by Eddie Barton, Digital Bolex's colour engineer. As a BMD and Digital Bolex camera owner, I'm invested in getting the best image I can out of my gear and hope that BMD will consider adding these options in future revisions of the Camera Raw panel.
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7173
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Alex Mitchell wrote:Request: Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB support for DNG decoding

There are tangible benefits to using Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB--compared to BMDFilm--when decoding DNGs. It would be as much of a benefit to BMD camera users as it would be for Digital Bolex users to have Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB supported in the Camera Raw panel of DaVinci Resolve.

The biggest benefit right now is that highlight information that exists >5 stops above middle grey would be preserved instead of clipped. This affects nearly every BMD camera at some point, especially when you're exposing for higher ISOs. Considering that more cameras are beginning to support DNG encoding while also expanding their dynamic range and base sensitivities, this is only going to become a bigger problem in the future.

The specifications for Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut RGB are documented and published openly by Eddie Barton, Digital Bolex's colour engineer. As a BMD and Digital Bolex camera owner, I'm invested in getting the best image I can out of my gear and hope that BMD will consider adding these options in future revisions of the Camera Raw panel.


theoretically, can you debayer linear light out of the bm camera, and use a mathematical formulae with a dctl to map out to the bolex space? it should not be difficult.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline
User avatar

Noel Sterrett

  • Posts: 385
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Multiple viewers, with the ability to assign each to a node (a la Fusion) would be at the very top of my list.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Ubuntu 19.04 | Asus Z10 Xeon*2 32G | GTX 1080 8G | Resolve Studio 16 | Desktop Video 11
Offline

ChrisLarsen

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 6:13 am

Let us float the viewer window. Please. Give a giant popup that warns about the inaccuracies of moving it over to a monitor that isn't properly calibrated or fiddled with by the OS, but let us decide if we want to run a dual monitor setup, or even just to have the viewer window sit off to the side of the monitor for someone like me who owns an ultrawide. I understand this may seem like it'll cannibalize your hardware decklink/ultrastudio sales but I'm pretty sure any serious colorist isn't going to try and circumvent buying one of those. For the plebs like me, maybe we just want real estate and we understand we're not necessarily getting the best color out of the mix, but I should be able to take that viewer window and put it where I want.
Offline

Stepan Ko

  • Posts: 280
  • Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 am

Multiple fps timelines in a single project

Version up several clips at the same time.

Delete several nodes at the same time (as would be expected when you drag a marque over several nodes and press delete).

Export individual source clips with baked time ramps (can't believe you can't do it now).

Support for nomals pass.

Choice of dissapearing window and bezier curve UI upon dragging like in baselight (this is real tiny stuff i know you can have it on in the ui and off in the main monitor but this functionality is just really handy in BL).
Offline

Nick Lindridge

  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:49 pm
  • Location: Kent, UK

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 am

1. "Repeat Last Operation". An example use case is adding a particular flag to a series of clips. You add the flag to one clip, then select the other clips in batches or one by one and trigger the repeat last operation via its hot key or dedicated CS button. Sure you can ctrl-click to build up a selection, but if you miss click you could accidentally deselect everything before you've made an operation on the group and need to start again.

2. "Undo history" view similar to AP with ability to see what the history items are and to jump back and forwards over multiple items.

3. Make undo work in all cases. Adding a flag, for example, cannot be reversed with undo, and if you do use undo expecting something to be undone and nothing appears to happen, it's unclear whether or not something did happen and what it is.

4. Option for scene detect to add a single clip with cuts rather than individual source media items.

5. The start of an API to allow and encourage innovation in areas such as control surfaces. If we could just could connect to a socket, authenticate, and then send JSON packets to adjust parameters values and trigger actions it would be HUGE. If we could subscribe to receive JSON packets when things happen in the interface, it would be even more awesome. There's so much untapped potential by not being able to do this.
Offline
User avatar

Nick Lear

  • Posts: 105
  • Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:58 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:59 am

It would be good if when you selected a clip and hit match frame, it would match for that clip, ignoring the auto selection controls (ref. p372 manual). It's a hassle to turn them on and off just to match frame. This already works for "find clip in media pool" where you have select first.
Win Pro 10, i7-7700K 4.2GHZ, 32GB RAM, RX 480 8GB VRAM, Resolve 15.3.1, dual HD monitors, DeckLink Mini Monitor feeds client TV. SSD boot drive, external drives for rushes.
Offline
User avatar

Alex Uzan

  • Posts: 106
  • Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:49 pm
  • Location: France

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

- To be able to add a node to a TextTitle. For grading or fx.

- Keep transparency of a compound clip.

- Double-click in media pool to import media.

- Curves for position keyframe.

-When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always move the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

- A shortcut/button to export an image right from the timeline.

- A new timeline created from a clip could have the same name by default.

:D
Last edited by Alex Uzan on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Focus Studio, Jeremy, tdcochran and 36 guests