Video Assist won't trigger record from Ursa Mini

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alex Dacev

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 3:11 am

Hey there,

Any help would be appreciated. I can't seem to get VA 5' to trigger record from the Ursa Mini. I have the trigger record setting and source set to SDI, but the VA just won't respond. Is there a setting in the camera that I'm missing?

Thanks

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist won't trigger record from Ursa Mini

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 6:02 am

First, you ned to set the VA to T/C Run, which uses time code in the SDI or HDMI (auto detects) to start and stop the VA. BM cameras including the Ursa Mini do not support SDI/HDMI Rec Trigger (mostly used by DSLR cameras). Then set your Ursa Mini to T/C Run and have T/C set to output through SDI, not sure on the actual menu setting here, as I do not have a UM, but it should be in the camera manual.
Good Luck
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alex Dacev

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks Denny! I'm gonna give that a shot.

Alex Dacev

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 11:06 am

Unfortunately Dennny, I don't see anything about timecode in the Ursa Mini menu. I refuse to believe that Black Magic designed two products that can't work together. I know that the VA works with Canon and Sony? Anybody out there that can help? It's a real pain in the butt having to use the monitor to record.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Don't know why it isn't working for you, but the Ursa Mini does support record triggering over SDI. I'm using it right now on a 4.6K with the 4K Video Assist.

Ursa Manual, page 20 wrote:Trigger Record

Your URSA Mini automatically sends a signal via the SDI outputs that will trigger recording when connected to equipment that supports the SDI trigger record feature, such as Blackmagic Video Assist. This means when you press record on your camera, your external SDI equipment will also start recording, then will stop recording when you press record again.

You will also need to set your equipment to enable SDI trigger recording to make sure it responds to the trigger signal from your URSA Mini. If your SDI equipment supports SDI trigger recording, it can usually be enabled using your SDI equipment’s settings menu.

As far as I can tell there is no way to turn the feature off in the camera, so it should just work if the Video Assist Trigger Rec is set to SDI/HDMI.

Alex Dacev

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Hmmmm...I don't know why either. Been trying for hours. Just not happening.

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Ace, I assume you are on the latest firmware levels for camera and BMVA. If not, do the firmware updates first. It's a long shot, but try restarting both the camera and the BMVA and then activate the Video Assist Trigger Record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Set the VA for T/C Run and give it a go with the Ursa Mini, it should be outputting T/C when you hit the record button. Just be sure T/C is set for "Run". You can check this by hitting record then wat ch the T/C display, stop, wait a a few seconds, then start Rec again, as see if the TC has advanced any or restarts from 0:00:00:00. If no change while stopped, then you should be good to go.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Simpson

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Denny, just tested that with the 4kVA and the UM46 with the latest firmware on both and the T/C Run doesnt work as you describe... its for when the camera doesn't have Start/Stop SDI/HDMI. On the Ursa Mini the 4kVA is triggered by SDI/HDMI and assume the 5" is the same :)
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks, for the clarification, John. Nice when it's automagic!

Rick Lang

John Simpson

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 11:35 pm

rick.lang wrote:Thanks, for the clarification, John. Nice when it's automagic!

Hahaha yes and when it 'WORKS!!' Still long for the old days when all you had to do is load the film, set aperture/shutter and just make sure you got focus! 4 THINGS!! :shock: nowadays the checklist is so long its like being on the flightdeck of the space shuttle :lol:
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 am

That's exactly how I feel when I start my car. In my youth, you turned the ignition, glanced a a couple of dials, and you could drive. Now, you're in a cockpit, visually checking a dozen things, interacting with a few things like the navigation system, the temperature readout, the various air controls, and so on, looking in the mirrors and the back up camera, and then you can back out of the garage, assuming the garage door opened!

Rick Lang

Alex Dacev

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Hey Denny and Rick, thanks for the input. I've gone through everything mentioned and still nothing. Gonna try and exchange the VA on the weekend. I'm pretty sure I've gone through everything, I mean it's not complicated right? Anyways hope the exchange goes well and we get a working unit, cause its been a total pain in the ass for my 1st AC.

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Ace, let us know how the new BMVA works out.

Rick Lang

John Simpson

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Ace 3003 wrote:Hey Denny and Rick, thanks for the input. I've gone through everything mentioned and still nothing. Gonna try and exchange the VA on the weekend. I'm pretty sure I've gone through everything, I mean it's not complicated right? Anyways hope the exchange goes well and we get a working unit, cause its been a total pain in the ass for my 1st AC.

Ace, I'd test out the SDI cable as well, it might be faulty. I had all sorts of problems with a cheap Small Rig cable and now use a Canare L2.5 sheilded cable... worth a shot :)
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 pm

John, I was troubleshooting in the dark here, as I didn't have a Mini handy. The T/C Run ,odevworked with ny Panny AF100, however. Ace said he tried SDI/HDMI Triggerbwith no luck, so was just suggesting the alternative. Thanks for testing this out, now we all know for sure how it is supposed to work. :D

Checkingbtge cable is also a good idea. I also use the Canare LC2.5 cables great stuff there!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Simpson

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Denny Smith wrote:John, I was troubleshooting in the dark here, as I didn't have a Mini handy. The T/C Run ,odevworked with ny Panny AF100, however. Ace said he tried SDI/HDMI Triggerbwith no luck, so was just suggesting the alternative. Thanks for testing this out, now we all know for sure how it is supposed to work. :D

Checkingbtge cable is also a good idea. I also use the Canare LC2.5 cables great stuff there!
Cheers

Hey no probs Denny :) My monies on it being a faulty cable rather than a faulty 4kVA... but we shall see, although there have been faulty mini output's as well... but if you can see a picture surely it should be working?
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Alex Dacev

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 am

I feel stupid saying this, but the guy at the shop told us that you need to see Cfast card inside the camera to work the trigger record. Surely that can't be it? Kinda defeats the purpose right.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

OK Ace, you did not tell us you didn't have a CFast card in the camera. We are good, but not that good :!:

Bad news: All the pro video cameras, including BM cameras, I have ever used would not "record" without media (disk, tape etc) in them. The only exception I can think of, is a real film camera, you could run it without film (kinda hard on th camera though).

Good news: If you want to record only on a the VA4K, you are in luck, there is a work around. When you are using the camera in a tripod, just touch the VA screen "Record" button to start a recording (I do this with my Micro Studio camera and AF100), quicker than reaching for a camera record button. When shooting with the camera handheld or a better idea, on your shoulder, Connect the camera's side grip connection cable to the VA4K LANC plug (you might need a short ext. cable) instead of to the camera, then, pressing the red record button on the grip will start/stop the recording on the VA4K. The grip is actually a LANC remote, and the plug on the camera it connects to is a LANC input.

Now, you can only record widowed 4K and down, ProRes or DNxHD recordings, not full open gate 4.6 or Raw files. Also you can not do over cranking (limited to HD 1080p60 max fps or 4K at 30fps max). :mrgreen:
Good luck
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Gosling

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:55 pm

I have the same problem but with my Nikon D810 not triggering record over HDMI on my BMVA 5". Hasn't worked since the update to 2.3 (worked perfect before - I had to downgrade to get it working again).

Chris

merakifilm

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Wondering if anyone has tried triggering the VA over SDI from an Arri camera? I have the Hyperdeck Shuttle, which triggers over SDI from Red, Sony, Canon, just not Arri.

I really hope the VA doesn't have the same issue. Sound mixers and AE's would never let me set the camera to Rec Run TC, so that option is impractical.

merakifilm

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Black Magic, can you answer this ^^^^
Would love a definitive answer whether the VA will trigger over SDI from an Arri camera?

costinik

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 8:15 am

Hi guys,

Can I use VA 5” as a remote for Ursa Mini Pro to record/play clips while is installed on Ronin?
All the buttons on VA are grey without a card and with card it rec only on it (1080p) not on the camera.
Is there a setting I’m missing?

Thanks!
______________________________________________________________________________________

Costin Marian
Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K
www.popotamproductions.com

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 8:24 am

No, the VA is not a remote device. The Record and Play buttons are only for recordings made on the VA, to its SD card. You need to put a compatible SD card in the VA to record on it. The VA can not trigger recording or playback on the UM Pro. However, yiu can set the VA and use the UM Pro to trigger recording on the VA.

That said, You canuse BM’s IOS program to remotely start and stop recording on the UM Pro with an IPad, or with one if the new IPhone or Android apps thst are available.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

costinik

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 8:29 am

Denny Smith wrote:No, the VA is not a remote device. The Record and Play buttons are only for recordings made on the VA, to its SD card. You need to put a compatible SD card in the VA to record on it. The VA can not trigger recording or playback on the UM Pro. However, yiu can set the VA and use the UM Pro to trigger recording on the VA.

That said, You canuse BM’s IOS program to remotely start and stop recording on the UM Pro with an IPad, or with one if the new IPhone or Android apps thst are available.
Cheers

I tried with trigger record and it works but only 1080p (as its the 5").
I need 4K in camera and a comfortable solution for Ronin.

The second solution sounds great.
I don`t have and iPad but can you tell me please the name of the apps available for iPhone?

Thank you!
______________________________________________________________________________________

Costin Marian
Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K
www.popotamproductions.com

michaeldhead

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 7:07 pm

costinik wrote:The second solution sounds great.
I don`t have and iPad but can you tell me please the name of the apps available for iPhone?

Thank you!

Go to iTunes - search for "Blackmagic design inc" - it's called "bluetooth+ for blackmagic"
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Return to Cinematography