No relink on Change Source Folder

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gabriel Willow

No relink on Change Source Folder

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 12:34 am

Hi guys, I'm pretty sure this question about workflow was done over and over but now is my turn. I'm looking for the answer online but I can't get it.

Someone gave me DNG files to edit, 2.5k. I have to do it in a laptop MacBook Pro on DaVinci resolve. That means no power and create proxies or optimized media. I did Optimized media and I loved it. Plays great but no audio and I would like to have the camera audio as reference.

2- choice. As a quick test, I imported one 2.5k shot into a timeline which file extension is
BMC01_1_2017-01-18_1214_C0001_[000000-001417].dng
From here I went to the delivery page and I exported that file as Apple ProRes 422Proxy, individual clip, keep source name into a proxy folder.
It came out as BMC01_1_2017-01-18_1214_C0001.mov

I put it in the media pool, right click on the shot .mov and change source folder and I directed it to the Roll 1 folder where that DNG file is. Of course its telling me "media offline".

So, what's the best proxy type to use and later do a change source folder with these 2.5k DNG long name files.

Thanks guys

Gabriel

Gabriel Willow

Re: No relink on Change Source Folder

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 3:58 am

hey guys, I did Optimized Media again and it came back with sound. Great. It run smooth. I did ProRes Proxy and is fine. A few days ago all the proxies disappeared so I had to do it again. 560 gigs of DNG took about 3 hours and 30 mins to do the proxies on an old MacBook Pro with quad core 2.3 i7 processors.

I think the problem will come and I'll start color correcting as I'll have to unchecked the optimized media.
I'll let you know later.
Cheers

Gabriel

Paul Sangha

Re: No relink on Change Source Folder

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Gabriel (or anyone else) - I am trying to setup optimized media on a laptop for untethered/offline work and much like you it comes without sound. It only plays sound if the source DNG media/drive is online.

You mentioned later that you could get sound with optimized media when you attempted it again - did you do something to get it working like that?

XPS 15 9560, Resolve12.5.5
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

Return to DaVinci Resolve