60hz Mac with ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bryon Shaw

60hz Mac with ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Ok, So maybe this is answered somewhere else, but I have searched for the last few days and I want to be absolutely sure. I am looking into the ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K and I have read that there are potential issues when sending a video signal from a computer that is running a 60hz refresh rate.

The setup that I'm going for is from my iMac to a BM mini converter, then into the ATEM switcher via SDI, is this going to give me issues? or will the mac automatically switch to the 59.94hz that is supposedly supported by the ATEM? At this point, any external display I connect to defaults to 60hz and the iMac won't let me adjust it.

If this will cause issues, what are my options to remedy it?

MambaFiber.com

Re: 60hz Mac with ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 pm

you can try SwitchResX on the mac to get 59.94 out. however i have one mac mini that still outputs 60 despite SwitchResX showing 59.94 in the settings...its a 2011 model. all my other other macs work fine with SwitchResX.

The Decimator MD-HX is a great unit for this fix. Run HDMI out of Mac mini to Decimator, set it for HDMI in to Scaler (DUC), and scaler out to SDI, connect SDI to ATEM. Set Decimator scaler to 1080i59.94 and it will convert any incoming format to the flavor of 1080i that the ATEM will accept.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello Byron. You could feed the iMac to the HDMI input #1 which will accept the 60Hz signal. If you are converting to SDI because of cable distance, then you would need to convert back to HDMI. The Teranex Mini HDMI to SDI has a 1080p60 to 1080i59.94 mode for doing the SDI conversion which will work. Or there are 3rd party boxes.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Loving Gary almost saying MDHX there ;)

Seriously if you don't own a Decimator then get one. If you already have some then get more. They are so useful you'll never regret it! (oh and get at least one of the MD-Cross version too, it's more expensive but the test pattern generator and onscreen audio monitors are seriously useful on occasion.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Matt Certa

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 pm

i currently have my macbook hooked up to the HDMI input 1 ME 4k Prod Studio and it works just fine.

daveknode

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 pm

The Data-Video DAC-70 will also scale any computer to an SDI or HDMI format that can be set to match your ATEM unit. And unlike the Decimator, the DAC-70 has a VGA input as well. We use them for corporate events so we can have a box at the lectern that can accept any resolution on HDMI or VGA and will scale it to what our switcher wants to see.

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 5:07 am

Matt Certa wrote:i currently have my macbook hooked up to the HDMI input 1 ME 4k Prod Studio and it works just fine.

Can you tell me a little bit about your set-up? I'm trying to use a Macbook Pro in the ATEM's input 1 (HDMI) but the ATEM will not see it. What resolution/frame rate is your ATEM set to for your Macbook HDMI output to be seen by the ATEM? I've read multiple threads on here and the internet about this and it is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am

Carlos Garcia-Diaz wrote:
Matt Certa wrote:i currently have my macbook hooked up to the HDMI input 1 ME 4k Prod Studio and it works just fine.

Can you tell me a little bit about your set-up? I'm trying to use a Macbook Pro in the ATEM's input 1 (HDMI) but the ATEM will not see it. What resolution/frame rate is your ATEM set to for your Macbook HDMI output to be seen by the ATEM? I've read multiple threads on here and the internet about this and it is driving me nuts.

Thanks

While i don't have a lot of MAC experience. You should still read the FAQ about this as there is a lot of information about this.!!
Frequently Asked Questions - Atem Mixer > Point 1.02
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mats W.

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 am

Hi there, this might be a bit of an overkill for your needs but here is the setup we run to give out multiple sources in choosable hz.

so we got a MacBook Pro with the software Millumin 2 sending out 25p signals mapped onto Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitors into the ATEM, which is also set to 25p

This is all a bit costly but I am sure there is free software where you can output a single signal over a Mini Monitor which is around 140 €.
Hope this may helps you with your issue

Return to Live Production