Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with VCR for old VHS Tapes to PC

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Kevin Call

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with VCR for old VHS Tapes to PC

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 pm

I recently launched an exercise to begin transferring old media to digital. I started with the old DV Tapes, and found that to be straightforward using PowerDirector, which I bought to edit my son's sports team videos. Having finished the DV tapes, I thought I would convert all of our old VHS tapes. I have our old Sharp VC-A410 VCR and I bought the Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0 to capture.

It's turning out to not be quite as straightforward as I hoped. I have installed the Desktop Video 10.8.4 from the blackmagic website. The Device is recognized when I launch Media Express. I have the VCR plugged in, turned on, and have the S-Video and Audio cables connected to the Video/Audio out of the VCR and plugged into the SVideo and Audio In of the Shuttle.

I'm at my office so I don't have a TV or anything plugged into the Shuttle's OUT side. I've rewound the VHS tape and hit play and neither Power Director or Media Express are capturing anything.

I'm sure it is something obvious and simple but would appreciate some help getting pointed in the right direction.

Kevin Call
--- Kevin Call

Adam Simmons

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with VCR for old VHS Tapes to

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 pm

What do you have set for the input in the BM desktop video utility?

Also with old VHS tapes you will most likely need a timebase corrector to clean up the signal as BM devices expect a broadcast quality signal
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Kevin Call

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Here is a screen shot of the settings in Black Magic Media Express.

Apologies for the newbie but not sure what timebase corrector means. Not necessarily expecting broadcast quality signal - but want to save these in the best quality I can for the long term.

Thanks
Attachments
blackmagicscreenshot1.jpg
blackmagicscreenshot1.jpg (243.22 KiB) Viewed 15810 times
--- Kevin Call

Adam Simmons

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 5:57 pm

That's not the BM desktop video setup software. You need to set the input to S-video inside that
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Kevin Call

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 pm

HEre are the config settings
Attachments
2017-02-06_12-13-00.jpg
2017-02-06_12-13-00.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
--- Kevin Call

Adam Simmons

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 8:13 pm

You have it set to component, it should be set to S-Video

Kevin Call

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm

You are correct - and in my original post I said S Video and I should have said component.

so it is component, with the yellow video and red/white audio cables.
--- Kevin Call

Adam Simmons

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 9:25 pm

No, that's composite

Kevin Call

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Thank You! I knew it would be something simple...

I'm now able to capture Video. The VHS tapes are older - ~15-20 years old and as expected lots of dropped frames - can you point to where to learn about the timebase corrector and how to address the dropped frames.
--- Kevin Call

Colin Barrett

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Kevin Call wrote:Thank You! I knew it would be something simple...

I'm now able to capture Video. The VHS tapes are older - ~15-20 years old and as expected lots of dropped frames - can you point to where to learn about the timebase corrector and how to address the dropped frames.

If you route your video signal through a TBC you'll eliminate the problem of dropped frames because the TBC re-generates a clean, continuous sync and black burst signal in addition to correcting any colour-framing issues. I use broadcast-grade TBCs on every input to my various Blackmagic capture devices.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Kevin Call

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks - Any recommendations of a TBC to get (or avoid). I'm on the consumer end - but would consider a prosumer level one.

On a side note - I live in the US but did a short term consulting gig in 1999 in Milton Keynes - it was only about a week or two - but I remember it was a great place.
--- Kevin Call

Colin Barrett

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Kevin Call wrote:Thanks - Any recommendations of a TBC to get (or avoid). I'm on the consumer end - but would consider a prosumer level one.

Unfortunately, TBCs aren't really produced any more. There are some cheap ones from companies like TV-One but they're not very good and will still present problems when having to cope with major holes in sync. Your only option is to scour the likes of eBay for sales of ex-broadcast TV or video models like Snell & Wilcox (which I have), For-A, G2, etc. All the TBCs I've bought are from broadcasters like the BBC.

Kevin Call wrote:On a side note - I live in the US but did a short term consulting gig in 1999 in Milton Keynes - it was only about a week or two - but I remember it was a great place.

Ha ha! Hope you enjoyed yourself. Many people know MK from having seen major bands like Bowie, Queen, Michael Jackson etc at the National Bowl.
Last edited by Colin Barrett on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:09 pm

I second Colin on this, I have and use a Snell&Wilcox Kidos TBC, that even includes a ADC to give me a SDI output. Great little TBC..

See EBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snell-amp-Wilco ... 1140137621
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colin Barrett

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, my main TBC is a Snell & Wilcox Kudos TBC11 which is a workhorse - it'll stabilise anything I throw at it! (It was used in a regional outpost of BBC TV in its MCR for years.)

Pity it doesn't have an ADC though, because that would be handy to feed directly to the Teranex 2D and avoid my having to output as YUV Component.

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Yes, the Kudos is a nice unit. Mine is a NRS50, I picked up with my Sony DVCam editing deck for $150 (about 10 years ago), so it was a good deal, even today $150 would be a good price. I sent the SDI out to an AJA outboard video interface, that was FireWire output to my Mac G5, the AJA IO, could take separate audio and embed in the SDI output signal, or send the video/audio to the Mac. The Kudos is Video only, no embedded audio.

I would like to upgrade to a new HD BM PCIE card based video processor board on my new MacPro Tower (Intel 2011/12 model), with SDI HD/SDI inputs, and audio inputs, any suggestions Colin?

Also, the new BM ATEM TVS HD looks like it would work as a nice stand alone video switcher, connecting multiple SDI/HDMI sources to a SDI based computer video input/output board, so I could get away with just a SDI in/out video board.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colin Barrett

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, the Kudos is a nice unit. Mine is a NRS50, I picked up with my Sony DVCam editing deck for $150 (about 10 years ago), so it was a good deal, even today $150 would be a good price.

That was an exceptionally good price 10 years ago - DVCAM deck AND Kudos TBC. Wow. And - yes - I'd jump at that even now.

Denny Smith wrote:I would like to upgrade to a new HD BM PCIE card based video processor board on my new MacPro Tower (Intel 2011/12 model), with SDI HD/SDI inputs, and audio inputs, any suggestions Colin?

'Fraid not. I don't need high processing power because for 95% of my time my systems are simply turning 4:3 SD PAL and NTSC off-tape sources into 10-bit Quicktime YUV files for archiving and I can get away with anything really. I am looking to upgrade soon, though. To what I'm not sure yet - depends on funds.

Denny Smith wrote:Also, the new BM ATEM TVS HD looks like it would work as a nice stand alone video switcher, connecting multiple SDI/HDMI sources to a SDI based computer video input/output board, so I could get away with just a SDI in/out video board.

Yes, I'd like a new switcher - it would make source selection a lot simpler. The single SDI output to my Teranex and other devices would be handy too.

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Colin, thanks, maybe I will just get an newer (used) AJA IO PCIE unit. I paid $150 for the Kudos, the tape deck was another $200, but still $350 for both was still a good deal, and no shipping, as I picked it up in San Francisco, and got a nice lunch in the bargain at the SF Clif House.

Yes, I am thinking about that new switcher too.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colin Barrett

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 10:09 am

Denny Smith wrote:Colin, thanks, maybe I will just get an newer (used) AJA IO PCIE unit. I paid $150 for the Kudos, the tape deck was another $200, but still $350 for both was still a good deal, and no shipping, as I picked it up in San Francisco, and got a nice lunch in the bargain at the SF Clif House.

I keep threatening to pay SF a visit. My son has been there and loves it. Trouble is that I just don't get time for any vacation longer than a week these days!

Nick Pitarakis

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Does the black magic save its configuration settings after we restart the pc or we switch it off or every time we must apply aggain the same configuration settings in the black magic dektop setup?

Colin Barrett

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 2:24 pm

All Blackmagic capture devices are managed by the Desktop Video installed driver package which then gives you options on the hardware set-up, but used in combination with this is the Blackmagic Media Express software which gives you a general capture, clip management and playback interface. Into this you can enter clip metadata information for each clip (which is embedded into the clip file itself) and at the end of the session you have the option to save the whole list as an .xml file. Having closed down the session and then re-opened it later, you can then use "File > Open Most Recent" and re-open the previously-saved .xml file. This will restore all your clip info and settings, provided that nothing has changed.

This is helpful if you are working on more than one capture / clip management project with different capture settings; each time you load a specific project's .xml file Media Express will automatically load all the parameters related to that project.

georgios

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 am

Colin, you mentioned that passing the signal through a DVD recorder like the Sony RDR HX900 would stabilize it a little bit, and indeed I tried and it works quite good.

Do you think that a tape player with DVD recorder like the Sony Slv-d960p would have a similar effect?

Thank you so much!

Eric-Jan

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

The SONY SLV-D960P is a normal video cassette recorder with a build-in DVD player ! The component connectings are only for de player, not the VCR.
What you want is a recorder combo like the Panasonic DMR-ES35V ! this is a good combination with the Intensity Shuttle, you don't have artifacts like you have from composite (RCA) or s-video (minDIN)
A DVR as passthrough could also be an option, but you can only input into composite or s-video that way.(twice.. output > input)
I own the DMR-ES35V, the component video out into the Shuttle gives a sharp image, the s-video output gives a "foggy" image, some people don't mind that, but they never have seen the difference !
You should study the manuals of vcr's, Google for it, also for the component connections, and if they are in "play" for the vcr part of a machine, and if they can be switched into progressive, Which is possible for the DMR-ES35V, . Later models do not have this "feature" for copyright protection reasons.
The DMR-ES35V gives a stable video signal, never had any black or dropped frames, even with "fast forward" or "freeze frame" the noise-bars are visible within the capture that way ofcourse...
The MDR-ES35V is still available on internet sites like Amazon or eBay.
update edit> the ES47V and ES48V models seem to have also these same features <.

btw. I just discovered that the DVR RDR-HX900 does have component video inputs ! never seen that !
but.... the component video inputs of this DVR accepts only standard definition interlaced video,(not of much use that way though) there are also several copyright protection scemes in play... all can be read in the manual >
https://www.docs.sony.com/release/RDRHX900.pdf
In short: both SONY machines mentioned have hidden extra's which may not be desireable to use them in capture setup's.
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

ranjster

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi, I am looking to convert around 200+ VHS tapes to computer. I have the Panasonic DMR-EZ49V and using a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle USB3.0

The DMR-EZ49V only has composite output and when I try to use the HDMI connection I get no signal coming into the Shuttle. I was looking at getting a player with component outputs and saw your post about the ES35V. I see that the DMR-EZ47V and EZ48V has component outputs and I noticed your sentence about output in Progressive. On the EZ48V manual Page 54, theres seems to be a seeting to select 'On' to enable progressive output. Do you think this is the right setting, sounds like it. I have tried to look for the ES35V but not many of these models about but there are plenty of EZ47V & EZ48V.

Just thought I'd ask the question before buying it.
Thanks

Eric-Jan

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 6:26 pm

Yes, just checked out both manuals for the ES47/ES48V models.
The only thing is, these recorders can't output the VHS signal while recording, that should not be a problem,
you have to set progressive mode in the combo menu, and then you can play a VHS tape and capture over the component connection RCA's depending on the tape/recorder's tv system format NTSC or PAL, you have to set for 576p or 480p in all the capture settings of both tool/driver and Media Express, if this is also a multisytem recorder like the ES35V, you have to set the correct tv-sytem also in the combo menu.
(in my case if i want to burn a NTSC dvd i have to set this before formatting the dvd)
But without recording in the Panasonic combo you can use the vhs deck for capturing or use the combo as passtrough for another vcr/camera player, for me this works with the ES35V model, i have likewise descriptions in my manual.
The HDMI does not work because of its protocol, that's another story about (digital) sound & legality, that can't be discussed here.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

ranjster

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi Eric-Jan, thats right I only need to use the VHS player part of the machine and dont need any recording functionality of it. Just a VHS output via Component. So in theory should work as described. Will try obtain one of these models and see how it goes.
Thanks

Eric-Jan

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Yeah, although these types have no some sort of TBC, They "do" something, to make a stable output for the Intensity Shuttle, capture wise that is, any other problems can be caused by slow storage speeds during capture.

btw. i can't see much difference between these two models, if i where you, i go for the ES47V one, for "some" reasons :)

Massimiliano Celindano

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 pm

ranjster wrote:The DMR-EZ49V only has composite output and when I try to use the HDMI connection I get no signal coming into the Shuttle.

You need to put a HDMI splitter between them, which is essential for bypassing HDCP signal from the Pana, if you want to make it work. Alternatively you could use its SCART (Peritel) output (S-Video mode) with the right cables/adapters.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Sometimes you can use a DVD recorder as a passthrough between your vcr and capture device.
DHCP and macrovision are copyright protection scemes, and can't be/should not be discussed on the Blackmagic forum(s)
HDMI has never been a good way to capture analog signals through it, component (RCA), s-video (DIN) composite video out, are the only ones (also in order of quality) best to capture from, other options would HDD, SD, PVR's
looking carfully at the specs of such a device, otherwise handycams with the correct "features"
also with european vcr's that have SCART sockets it's worth to look at what's featured by that.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:DHCP and macrovision are copyright protection scemes, and can't be/should not be discussed on the Blackmagic forum(s)
I was just discussing about a way to overcome a technical limitation and no copyright infringement is intended. I would like to be able to capture my own footage taking advantage of the HDMI connection, which is, in my humble opinion, an overkill solution in most cases.

Return to Getting Started