Dead HD need to change scratch disk to use stills

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Miklós Barna-Lipkovszki

Dead HD need to change scratch disk to use stills

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Dear everyone! Please help! I have been working on a project for days and right when I was exporting the external hard disk I've been working from DIED. It was the scratch disk for the project, so now I constantly get the error message that Resolve has no write permission to access the drive. However, the stills I generated from the clips are still visibe, node graphs included - so now I could start a new project, get the video files from the client on a different hard drive and I could just paste grades from my stills. Problem is that for some reason it's not letting me export them. Does anybody have a suggestion how to fix this?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Dead HD need to change scratch disk to use stills

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 2:35 am

The full res stills are also normally stored on the scratch drive, so those are likely gone. What you see in the GUI are thumbnail images of the stills, which are kept in the project database.

You should still be able to do a new project and copy the grades from the original project using the Gallery window. You don't need to export the stills from the original project for this.

In the new project, open the Gallery window and select the original project and timeline in the Stills area on the left, and you should see all the still thumbnails in the Group Stills area on the right. The grades will be available in those.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve