Linking back to original media from proxies

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Will Montgomery

Linking back to original media from proxies

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm working on a music video with ProRes 4444 flat 4k film scans (35 & 16mm). There are four large film files and some BMPCC DNG files.

I have a basic edit done in Resolve and have a rough color done. I'd like to send this rough cut with proxy colored media to Final Cut Pro X where another editor will do some work on it. I'd like to avoid TC burn-ins if possible.

I can export the timeline from the edit section no problem, but it references the original giant media. If I export from the DELIVER section with the Final Cut Pro X preset, I wind up with a great timeline in Final Cut Pro X with the rendered proxy media, but when I'm ready for final coloring and re-import the final XML from Final Cut Pro X, the timeline is of course linked to the RENDERED PROXY MEDIA.

How can I take a timeline back into Resolve and re-link to the ORIGINAL MEDIA so I can send it to my colorist in a clean format? Since the proxy files are lots of smaller files rather than one giant scan file do the timecodes link back up to the original files?

I feel I'm missing something basic but this is a workflow that I will encounter from time to time with film or RAW files so any help would be appreciated.

If there's a better way to handle it from the beginning, I'm fine hearing that as well.

Simon Rabeder

Re: Linking back to original media from proxies

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 11:37 pm

just make sure you import into a project with the original media loaded. the import the xml and untick automatic media import. it will link to the original files if the naming is the same.

I suggest you take a media export from fcpx and check all edits, sync and sizing for all shots.

Will Montgomery

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Ah, almost perfect.

Linking to original media but all temp grading gone because it's a new project of course, but that's fine for the colorist to start from zero in this case.

DNG files are not syncing...I will do this manually. I was told that it's a good idea to create new "masters" from DNG files as ProRes 4444 and treat them like the flat film scans...

Simon Rabeder

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 10:01 am

DNG has some weird behaviour sometimes.
Try Master Project Settings > Conform Options > Use Timecode from source clip frame count > play around a bit in this section, also try the assist using reel names settings

Marc Wielage

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 11:47 am

I just did a project that relinked to DNG files, and while it had a few hiccups, it eventually linked just fine and all was well. About the only real disasters were major speed changes and effects sequences, but I think you have to resign yourself going in that those are issues with any format and any editing software (Avid, FCP, Premiere, whatever).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Simon Rabeder

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Changed clip speeds are mostly ok, only if it's ramping and keyframes stuff it tends to not translate.

Will Montgomery

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 8:50 pm

I can tell Blackmagic is putting a lot of time into compatibility with other NLE's and it shows. I also understand that there are so many workflows and systems out there that it is nearly impossible to make it completely seamless but once I get it down I will always do it that way (until it stops working.)

Return to DaVinci Resolve