A basic workflow: suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
Theiamania

A basic workflow: suggestions.

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello everybody,
I'm starting from scratch with DaVinci, and before of all, I'd like to fix a basic (so, not advanced) workflow:
1 - fter clips import, we should provide to make a basic color correction (Primary CC);
2 - then, if we need, we can make a Secondary CC to underscore some part of the shot, and similar;
3 - we should now provide to match the colors of the multiple camera shots. In this case,I think we should choose a reference shot and match the others shots with the reference shot chosen. There is a way to choose it - i.e. choosing Establishment shot and match Coverage/b-roll shots with it? Or is simply an aesthetic choice, simply choosing the shot with betters colors, mood, and so on... and match its colors with those of the other images?
4 - finally, when all shots are uniformed and color matched, we can provide to give a specific mood, style, look... through Color Grading process.
5 - export.
Do you thing is a good workflow, or at least a good starting point?

Many thanks in advantage for a glad rely.

Cheers. :P

Marc Wielage

Re: A basic workflow: suggestions.

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:07 am

I would suggest reading the manual from start to finish before using Resolve, and then go through some of the basic tutorials out there (including the very good ones from Ripple Training, Mixing Light, and/or FXPHD), and read a decent book or two on the process of color correction, like Alexis Van Hurkman's Color Correction Handbook.

The process is not exactly as you explain it, because actually a lot of these steps can take place simultaneously. Be warned that this is not something you can learn in a week or a month, but it does get faster and easier with time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Theiamania

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:10 am

Okay, thanks...

Dermot Shane

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Theiamania wrote:Hello everybody,
I'm starting from scratch with DaVinci, and before of all, I'd like to fix a basic (so, not advanced) workflow:
1 - fter clips import, we should provide to make a basic color correction (Primary CC);
2 - then, if we need, we can make a Secondary CC to underscore some part of the shot, and similar;
3 - we should now provide to match the colors of the multiple camera shots. In this case,I think we should choose a reference shot and match the others shots with the reference shot chosen. There is a way to choose it - i.e. choosing Establishment shot and match Coverage/b-roll shots with it? Or is simply an aesthetic choice, simply choosing the shot with betters colors, mood, and so on... and match its colors with those of the other images?
4 - finally, when all shots are uniformed and color matched, we can provide to give a specific mood, style, look... through Color Grading process.
5 - export.
Do you thing is a good workflow, or at least a good starting point?

Many thanks in advantage for a glad rely.

Cheers. :P

- i make 1 &3 the same, basegrade and matching in the same nodes, and i never use secondaries there
- then turn to 2 & 4 together

i use a basic node tree for everything, add it to every shot at the begisning with;
node 1 = ballance exposure, contrast & saturation using film style gradeing tools
node 2 = L*a*b for trims
node 3 and beyond = "looks"usiing lift, gamma, gain, secondaries, curves, keys, masks, ofx, noise reduction, layer and combiner nodes

i really do not touch looks untill the base is very solid, and as clsoe to final as possiable with the simpelest and cleanest tools and workflow equaling the cleanest images possiable

Return to DaVinci Resolve