Hyperdeck Studio Mini - naming device and/or files

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Alasdair McWilliams

Hyperdeck Studio Mini - naming device and/or files

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Guys,
Just received the new Hyperdeck Studio Mini.. does anyone know if it's possible to assign the device a name, and/or, how to set the filenaming?
Previously we ran our ATEM to one of our Atmos recorders, and on the Atmos could a)name the unit itself so we knew which device was in use, and b)set the filenames to show the production, scene and shot numbers (with "Takes" incrementing automatically each time "record" was hit)
Is any of this possible on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini?
The BMPCC has a metadata option on the on-camera menu for this.. but can't see anything similar on the HSM...

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini - naming device and/or files

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 pm

There is no way to name/label the HSMs currently but we will log this as a feature request to the devs.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Alasdair McWilliams

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Cool- thanks :-)
Is there any way to set filenames (like the BMPCC Metadata menu item)

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 7:24 pm

There is no way to rename files within the unit via FTP established connections.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

JosiahThiesen

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 am

I would like to second this request to have the ability to name recorders or have a more logical naming convention than just starting over from 0000 every time a card is formatted.

We have two decks and having the exact same file name is kind of insane. We manually rename it as soon as we copy the footage to our computer but this really leaves things open to a chance of error. If black magic advertses this as a solution for live recording with multiple camera ISOs... they really need to enable this feature of giving each recorder a name and each file a time stamp or custom name.

Casey Boone

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Agreed. There needs to be a way to set file names. Can be very confusing trying to find the correct files with multiple cards.

bbc415

PostTue May 08, 2018 5:32 pm

One year later. I just got done updating the Hyperdeck Utility app, and the unit. Still, the only options are recording format and trigger control. How is it possible that you can't update the name of the file? How is it possible that it starts over at 0 every time you format and doesn't keep track of cards? Come on Black Magic, Aja KiPro set the standards for tapless workflow back in the 00's. All of us production companies that have invested in these units deserve an answer as to when you are going to update the file naming system to something useable.

pm@NYSMSC.net

PostWed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm

bbc415 wrote:One year later...

IMHO, that's a pretty big fail. I wish I had known this before ordering. :shock: I guess I'll have to try a script approach to naming clips before record incorporating the "record: name: {name}" command.

JayRozanski

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 am

any update on this BMD?
Jay Rozanski
Cameraman & Editor
oXyFire Media Creative, UK

@JayRozanski
http://oXyFire.com

Mark Estdale

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 pm

pm@NYSMSC.net wrote:
bbc415 wrote:One year later...

IMHO, that's a pretty big fail. I wish I had known this before ordering. :shock: I guess I'll have to try a script approach to naming clips before record incorporating the "record: name: {name}" command.

Aargh! I just spoke to technical support about the same issue. I just want to hook studio pros and minis up to a database to handle 50k plus videos. and I want to config the recorders to start wherever I like so they can filename sync with all the other tech. They said it's in the firmware and cannot be changed BUT I can submit a 'feature request' to a black hole they called 'product development.' and that they might one day consider my opinion and then do whatever product development do ...or don't do....

IMO this is customer care stupidity, especially when timeliness is the essence of the professional production world that their products supposedly serve.

Earlier in the month when I was considering my choice of recorders - between AJA and Blackmagic, both sales team and technical support were falling over themselves with glorious helpfulness. which encouraged me to buy. Now regret is seeping in.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 10:01 pm

You can with Atomos recorders.. But theire customer support is also slow and hard to reply.. Dont expect Sony style customer support while you paying 1/20th of the price.. ;)

BMD is good hardware as long as you know what does not work and were you might run in trouble.. As long as you can work arround things like this. (which should be on any broadcast called deck) Then it is perfect stuff to run with. :D
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ruben Gomez

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Still no ability to do this? I've been wondering since we bought our Hyperdeck 12Gs in 2016.

Tonoff

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Any update in this topic? How can I change the clip name with Hyperdeck studio Mini??

Come on Blackmagic!!! you post a video with nice renamed clips!!

Youtube:
"Introduction to the HyperDeck Control Protocol"

mathalex

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 9:13 pm

3 years later...
sorry for the long delay and for my english but I can try to explain my "solution".
I had the same problem with 2 Hyperdeck studio mini.
The file name is the same "Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Mini_0000". The modification of the name is locked when you use a TFP client.
My solution:
I use a Elgato Stream Deck with Companion.
There is a fonction to select a other name. I use the function:
"Hyperdeck: Record (with name and current date/time)"
I can choice the name and Companion send the date/time to the hyperdeck.

I understand that is not a easy and free solution but for me that was the easier solution.

The other free solution is Filezilla:
In "parameters" you can choice the action when the name of file is identical.
You can select "Rename the file".
It's not perfect but that works!

Return to Getting Started