URSA mini PRO 4.6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jonesy Jones

Re: URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:15 am

Jacob Fenn wrote:
Jamie LeJeune wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:One missed opportunity I see with this awesome new design: simultaneously recording 4.6K RAW to the CFast 2.0 Cards and 1080 ProRes Proxies to the SD Cards. That would have been an amazing feature to have built-in.

For all that Grant talked about workflow in the presentation, BMD still hasn't developed a raw workflow that comes close to the ease of the way r3d color metadata flows from camera to NLE to color. I'm not really a Red fan, but I do enjoy the easy workflows allowed by r3d

I'm in complete agreement here. I actually had my credit card out to buy the Ursa Mini Pro until I realized that, even with 4 media bays, it cannot record raw and proxy simultaneously (BM confirmed this with me on the phone). This is a huge omission, and the reason I'll be sticking with Red for now, despite my preference for not having cameras with skulls on them...

It's a physical switch to choose either CFast or SD, but I wonder if firmware might allow, at the very least, for recording of raw+proxy to one media type.

Come on guys! Gees. There is no other camera on the planet that can do what this camera can do for a price that is embarrassing to all other manufacturers, and still you find a complaint?

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:21 am

Jonesy Jones wrote:
Jacob Fenn wrote:
Jamie LeJeune wrote:For all that Grant talked about workflow in the presentation, BMD still hasn't developed a raw workflow that comes close to the ease of the way r3d color metadata flows from camera to NLE to color. I'm not really a Red fan, but I do enjoy the easy workflows allowed by r3d

I'm in complete agreement here. I actually had my credit card out to buy the Ursa Mini Pro until I realized that, even with 4 media bays, it cannot record raw and proxy simultaneously (BM confirmed this with me on the phone). This is a huge omission, and the reason I'll be sticking with Red for now, despite my preference for not having cameras with skulls on them...

It's a physical switch to choose either CFast or SD, but I wonder if firmware might allow, at the very least, for recording of raw+proxy to one media type.

Come on guys! Gees. There is no other camera on the planet that can do what this camera can do for a price that is embarrassing to all other manufacturers, and still you find a complaint?

I'm not complaining, just pointing out a potential missed opportunity. It simply would have been an amazing feature in this feature full camera. And, also, by stating the desire and having others agree it gives Blackmagic the knowledge that it is desired. This way they can work to implement it in a future model.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:48 am

Regarding the post that reminded us that we've learned to wait a bit before buying a camera, I waited three years 11 months and three weeks before buying the URSA Mini 4.6K PL. I think I was patient. And I waited almost a year before buying a set of IRND filters. Let's see what NAB 2017 brings: with my track record, now that I have a set of SLR Magic APO primes, BMD will announce their own line of primes and zooms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:51 am

Yes but how do you feel now Rick? Disappointed, Contented or Thrilled?
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:02 am

I think the new URSA Mini Pro is utterly incredible of course! I'll wait to see if the URSA Mini 4K/4.6K owners get a break. It may be a long wait though. Demand for this UMP camera will likely exceed their expectations again! So I don't know if BMD will feel any desire to give the UM4/46 owners a break. I love my camera.

I'm happy for those who waited as this camera will be irresistible, eh, Denny?

Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:08 am

If that optical B4 Adapter proves to be of sufficient quality, I'd buy one purely to shoot Rec.709 ProRes 422 HD to SD cards using a nice Fuji 22:1 BERD servo zoom.
HDvideo4K.com

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 am

My BMB4 optical mount has performed very well on the URSA Mini 4.6K PL camera. You're going to be very pleased with your results if that lens is an "HA" Fujinon zoom.

Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:48 am

HA22x7.3BERD-S48 1:1.9 (7.3-161mm) with the 2X Extender - can be found for under US$5K
HDvideo4K.com

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:51 am

Oh ya, that'll be good! I use the HA20x7.8B M10 Cine Zoom (with a Chrosziel Fluid Zoom Control) so technically not an ENG lens but good quality optics recommended by Howard Roll and Denny Smith.

Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:55 am

Say $5K for the lens and what, $8K for a fully optioned Ursa Mini Pro? Does anything else come close for shoulder mounted HD ENG doco work? (with an easy upgrade path for 4K RAW)
HDvideo4K.com

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:12 am

rick.lang wrote:I think the new URSA Mini Pro is utterly incredible of course! I'll wait to see if the URSA Mini 4K/4.6K owners get a break. It may be a long wait though. Demand for this UMP camera will likely exceed their expectations again! So I don't know if BMD will feel any desire to give the UM4/46 owners a break. I love my camera.
I'm happy for those who waited as this camera will be irresistible, eh, Denny?

Yes Rick, this would be the Ursa Mini I would consider buying. It punches most buttons that I use in a camera. Anyone want a good deal on an almost new Panny AF100A :?:
So I can get the new UM Pro. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 am

Craig wrote: "… so I wonder if the optional Ursa Mini Pro Nikon mount has the potential to take a focal reducer where the EF mount will not?"

That's not going to happen, only very short mounts like E-mount or MFT leave enough space for a Speedbooster.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Craig Marshall

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:32 am

Shame. Would be nice to see an 18mm flange to sensor mount option...
HDvideo4K.com

Valeriu Campan

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 am

timbutt2 wrote:One missed opportunity I see with this awesome new design: simultaneously recording 4.6K RAW to the CFast 2.0 Cards and 1080 ProRes Proxies to the SD Cards. That would have been an amazing feature to have built-in.

Very good point! One would hope that a firmware upgrade can enable this in the menu.

Valeriu Campan

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am

Uli Plank wrote:Craig wrote: "… so I wonder if the optional Ursa Mini Pro Nikon mount has the potential to take a focal reducer where the EF mount will not?"

That's not going to happen, only very short mounts like E-mount or MFT leave enough space for a Speedbooster.

Nikon flange distance is too long for a focal reducer. But that would not exclude that someone will make a 'dumb' Sony or MFT mount. Anyone with access to a CNC milling machine could make one. Let's guess: two weeks from now?

Darko Djerich

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 am

This company knows how to push boundaries and get heart rates happening.
It will be hard to improve from now going forward, who will really need 6,8,10,12K...and DR 18,19,22 stops...
There is point where human eye says enough :D
BMCC $2.5k will never be obsolete IMO and its already 4 years old.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Ben Johnston

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 am

I visited the BMD booths at BVE yesterday and bored the reps by telling them how much I (and, I imagined, most other users) would like a BMD camera with comfortable, ENG-style handling, easy controls for exposure and frame rates, NDs, proper audio input controls and cheaper storage options. Either they didn't know about the UM Pro, or they did a good job of hiding it!

I really hope this is a general BMD move towards better ergonomics and more conventional hardware features. It feels like third-time-lucky for the Ursa line and I hope it sells really well and encourages BMD to bring better ergonomics to the smaller cameras.

I guess the only thing preventing this from competing fully with 'production' camera basics is the limited ISO performance? I'd love to see SD-SD mirroring and SD proxies in a hardware update, if possible. And, at the risk of seeming crass, I hope those noise pattern gremlins have been banished.

Beautiful looking camera.

iaincash

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 10:45 am

I have to say that I am super annoyed at this new camera, I have had the mini Ursa 4.6 for just less than a month, and now they bring out the pro. I have done just one pro job with my original mini Ursa 4.6. The fact that the pro is either now shipping or shipping soon shows that they have been working on it and making it for a while. After waiting so long for the original 4.6 to be in stock and then finally getting my hands on it, I find it super frustrating that the new one ships straight away after just 28 days of owning the original 4.6! Had I known the pro was coming I would have waited.

Dan Keeble

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 10:46 am

Ben Johnston wrote:I visited the BMD booths at BVE yesterday and bored the reps by telling them how much I (and, I imagined, most other users) would like a BMD camera with comfortable, ENG-style handling, easy controls for exposure and frame rates, NDs, proper audio input controls and cheaper storage options. Either they didn't know about the UM Pro, or they did a good job of hiding it!

They wouldn't have had a clue about it.
www.flud.digital

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:26 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
TomGruber wrote:With BMD, no one ever really does. Sony finally has some competition for the ENG camera market now ;)

It's interesting that you mention Sony, because I had been debating on whether to buy an FS7 or a mini 4.6k and the mini pro seems to check off a lot of boxes (I do both broadcast/live events and cinematic stuff). However, the question that I have is this: has BM improved their QC and implemented those improvements on the production of this camera, or can we expect to experience the same QC problems that some 4.6k users have experienced with these cameras (magenta, cross hatching, xlr's not working, cameras turning off, dropped frames, side handle bump destroying the camera, forum is full of examples)? If so, I prefer the look of the 4.6k but would buy a Sony because I've used them in the past and they are rock solid dependable.

James Alexander Barnett

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 am

Carlos Garcia-Diaz wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:
TomGruber wrote:With BMD, no one ever really does. Sony finally has some competition for the ENG camera market now ;)

It's interesting that you mention Sony, because I had been debating on whether to buy an FS7 or a mini 4.6k and the mini pro seems to check off a lot of boxes (I do both broadcast/live events and cinematic stuff). However, the question that I have is this: has BM improved their QC and implemented those improvements on the production of this camera, or can we expect to experience the same QC problems that some 4.6k users have experienced with these cameras (magenta, cross hatching, xlr's not working, cameras turning off, dropped frames, side handle bump destroying the camera, forum is full of examples)? If so, I prefer the look of the 4.6k but would buy a Sony because I've used them in the past and they are rock solid dependable.

Carlos as much as I moan about the same things you have highlighted, IMO the URSA Mini is in a different league image wise to the FS7, with the added ND's etc & interchangeable lens mounts it now becomes a no brainer and Sony should be starting to get worried.
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

Daithí de Sionúir

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I am in agreement with the sentiments regarding 'holding off' had I known about the Pro. In the last 4 months I have purchased two 4.6Ks. The internal filters and the ability to record to SD is frigging fantastic which is why I am so incredibly annoyed with BM at the moment. My dream camera was only around the corner had I known. I feel BM are marginalising a section of its users by only offering the rebate on price to a section of its community.Matters are made worse by the constant updating - testing of my two cameras. One is currently in RMA land with the supplier. To have purchased fairly future-ish proofed camera's only now to discover a few months later they are the 'old version' is not honouring those who have been loyal BM users.

Dave Perry

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Rafael Molina wrote:Okay, is brand new so ¿completely Global Shutter sensor, or it has the same Rolling Shutter switching mechanism as the normal 4.6K?

No global shutter mentioned in Grant's press conference.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Daniel Binder

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 pm

In case anyone was wondering, like me, about the delay on the SDI output (most relevant for live event use, where you project on screens on location).

BMD confirmed in an email that the new URSA mini Pro still has the same 3 frames delay on the SDI out, just like the older URSA Minis.

Too bad. So still not useful for live events or in a mixed setup with Micro Studio 4Ks (which have less than 1 frame delay).

I'm not complaining, it seems to be a great ENG camera and useful for some studio application as well (as long as you don't mix with the studio cameras). Just pointing out one scenario it is definitely not useful for :)

Cheers,
Daniel

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Guys, the Ursa Mini Pro is not an upgrade of the UM 4.6 EF/PL. -- it is an entirely different camera, with similar looks and the same 4.6K sensor. There the similarities end.

The UM Pro is being marketed to a different user than the original UM 4.6, yes there is some overlap between the two cameras, but not too much. For live event applications, all are plagued by the same slow video processing resulting in a 3-frame delay. And yes, all three can be used for Cinema type work. They have the same 4.6 K sensor, but one is not an upgrade of the other.

The original UM, like the Ursa is primarily a Cinema camera with some TV Production camera features, like the shoulder mount setup and EVF design. The new Pro is more of a Boradcast/Event design camera that can shoot Cinema -- a flip/flop (other way round) of the original UM.

Going back in time, when Panasonic came out with the AF100, IR was a scaled down Ursa Mini of its day. Everyone looking for a "low cost" ($4Kish) camera were all over this camera. Then there was a request for additional festures, like focus zooming/punch-in, 1080p60 with audio, etc. Panasonic responded with a new AF100A, with an improved video processor giving 1080p60 with audio out the HDMI and focus punch-in, a firmware update for the camera added more features to both models. What did Panny do for their previous AF100 owners -- they made the firmware update -- giving internal 1080P60 recording, and the other firmware updates, like additional frame guides and new recording codec -- available to the original AF100 owners for $150.00. If you wanted all the new features, like 1080p60 output, you had to Buy the new AF100, no discounts, no trade in of recently purchased AF100 made prior to the announcement/release,of the AF100A.

Why should BM do any less or more. Unlike the owners of other makers cameras -- you do not have to pay for the firmware updates that gave your cameras additional functionality :!:
:mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AlexeyUdaltsov

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:59 pm

I got really excited for a moment about the external SSD recorder thinking that it may finally allow higher frame rates for 4K RAW. But then I realized that there is still the bottleneck of the SDI cable capping it at 60fps... Such a bummer. Especially since modern SSDs are perfectly capable to handle 120fps. Oh well... Guess we will have to wait some more for that to happen :)

But UM Pro is still an impressively flexible camera and a great iteration overall.

Daithí de Sionúir

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Guys, the Ursa Mini Pro is not an upgrade of the UM 4.6 EF/PL. -- it is an entirely different camera, with similar looks and the same 4.6K sensor. There the similarities end.

The UM Pro is being marketed to a different user than the original UM 4.6, yes there is some overlap between the two cameras, but not too much. For live event applications, all are plagued by the same slow video processing resulting in a 3-frame delay. And yes, all three can be used for Cinema type work. They have the same 4.6 K sensor, but one is not an upgrade of the other.

The original UM, like the Ursa is primarily a Cinema camera with some TV Production camera features, like the shoulder mount setup and EVF design. The new Pro is more of a Boradcast/Event design camera that can shoot Cinema -- a flip/flop (other way round) of the original UM.

Going back in time, when Panasonic came out with the AF100, IR was a scaled down Ursa Mini of its day. Everyone looking for a "low cost" ($4Kish) camera were all over this camera. Then there was a request for additional festures, like focus zooming/punch-in, 1080p60 with audio, etc. Panasonic responded with a new AF100A, with an improved video processor giving 1080p60 with audio out the HDMI and focus punch-in, a firmware update for the camera added more features to both models. What did Panny do for their previous AF100 owners -- they made the firmware update -- giving internal 1080P60 recording, and the other firmware updates, like additional frame guides and new recording codec -- available to the original AF100 owners for $150.00. If you wanted all the new features, like 1080p60 output, you had to Buy the new AF100, no discounts, no trade in of recently purchased AF100 made prior to the announcement/release,of the AF100A.

Why should BM do any less or more. Unlike the owners of other makers cameras -- you do not have to pay for the firmware updates that gave your cameras additional functionality :!:

Because they have set the precedent themselves by 'doing more' and giving the discount to one group of BM users and not the other. If they they had not, we possibly may not have a legitimate gripe. But they did.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Very exciting news. I hope BM is set to execute with units arriving at resellers within days. It will be interesting to see if there is a magenta corners issue in this camera.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Those staff at the recent dog and pony shows may not have known about the URSA Mini Pro, but the team going to Hanover and Berlin in a few days are showing off the UMP46 cameras!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Nate Porter

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Denny Smith wrote:For live event applications, all are plagued by the same slow video processing resulting in a 3-frame delay.

I haven't heard anything about BM improving this, so I could assume the same, but I hope they have improved this through some optimizations. I'm looking to use this as an IMAG cam and a cinema cam, swapping the b4 and ef mounts as needed. I'll wait a bit and see what initial reviews say and then rent one to test.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Daithí, you are comparing apples to oranges. A full size a Ursa cost $7K plus, and was marketed with w upgradeable sensor/lens turret for which a 4.6K sensor upgrade was promised when the 4.6K sensor came out. The Ursa is a large production camera, and the upgrade to 4.6K was promised by BM to Ursa owners.

Now two-years down the road, one year plus, since the UM 4.6 started shipping (BM had previously stated why would ship the Ursa sensor upgrade first, but didn't). Now a third model Ursa has been released with a 4.6K sensor, and still no sensor upgrade to 4.6K for the Ursa, as promised by BM. Grant (BM) had to do something -- they chose to offer the new Ursa Pro, which (feature and size wise) is betweenthe Ursa Mini and full size Ursa, at a discount to "original" Ursa owners that bought into the sensor upgrade to begin with.

Ursa Mini owners got what they bought and was promised by BM, a Ursa Mini 4.6K camera that rocks :!:
Does (finally) what it was designed to do -- shoot high quality digital Cinema images. Nothing less, nothing more. Buying new technology has its issues and problems, and is part of the package for new equipment adopters, and BM has stepped up to solve those issues, and stand behind their cameras.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Nate, BM in a different thread, has stated the UM Pro has the same 3-frame delay, no changes here at this point. If the delay is hardware based (probably is) than this is what it will always be. If it is a firmware correctable issue, than this might change down the road with a new firmware update. Like you said, wait and see is one approach.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Daniel Binder wrote:BMD confirmed in an email that the new URSA mini Pro still has the same 3 frames delay on the SDI out, just like the older URSA Minis.

Its 1-2 frames on the SDI out on URSA/Mini. If you use our EVF that adds a frame in its processing so 2-3 frames total on the EVF. Some monitors can add even more frame delay in their processing, but either way we are looking to see if we can improve the SDI frame delay.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Captain, we really appreciate the detailed insights you and Tim S. are sharing with us today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Scott Pultz

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 am

Is the LCD 1080?

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 3:36 am

CaptainHook wrote:Its 1-2 frames on the SDI out on URSA/Mini. If you use our EVF that adds a frame in its processing so 2-3 frames total on the EVF. Some monitors can add even more frame delay in their processing, but either way we are looking to see if we can improve the SDI frame delay.

How about delay on externally fed Timecode?

Current Ursa Mini doesn't sync to externally fed continuous Timecode (not just jammed and disconnected), it's always 1-3 frames off. Will this also be an issue with the Pro?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Daniel Binder

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 3:49 am

CaptainHook wrote:
Daniel Binder wrote:BMD confirmed in an email that the new URSA mini Pro still has the same 3 frames delay on the SDI out, just like the older URSA Minis.

Its 1-2 frames on the SDI out on URSA/Mini. If you use our EVF that adds a frame in its processing so 2-3 frames total on the EVF. Some monitors can add even more frame delay in their processing, but either way we are looking to see if we can improve the SDI frame delay.

Can you confirm the 1-2 frames with absolute certainty?
I asked specifically about the delay in an email to BMD support yesterday and got a response from a certain Callum Mclay, Technical Support Manager EMEA. He specifically confirmed 3 frames delay on the new URSA mini pro and all other URSA minis.
1 frame would be acceptable for us, 3 frames are not. Please clarify.
Thanks,
Daniel Binder,
Vienna, Austria

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 5:55 am

Denny Smith wrote:Nate, BM in a different thread, has stated the UM Pro has the same 3-frame delay, no changes here at this point. If the delay is hardware based (probably is) than this is what it will always be. If it is a firmware correctable issue, than this might change down the road with a new firmware update. Like you said, wait and see is one approach.

My bad, I got the 3-frame delay from Daniel's comment from the note he got from BM. :oops:
I have been reading too many comments about this new camera, starting to get it all mixed up :!:
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stephen Brenner

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:I have a question regarding the announced Nikon lens mount. Will it accept an optical Focal Reducer? (aka Speed Booster) One reason I stick with Sony cameras is I can adapt my large and now very valuable collection of Zeiss Full Frame lenses to S-35 with a Focal Reducer to restore each lens' original Field of View.

In the case of the legendary Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 for example, a lens with a ninety degree Field of View and focus virtually from the front glass to infinity, I get a really useful and fast (f/1.9) hand held Prime on any Sony (mirrorless) camera so I wonder if the optional Ursa Mini Pro Nikon mount has the potential to take a focal reducer where the EF mount will not?

I would think that the focal reducer would have to be built into an entirely new nikon mount.
If the camera becomes popular, maybe metabones will build one.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Daniel Binder wrote:Can you confirm the 1-2 frames with absolute certainty?

Its more like 2 but yes. I've clarified with support for future reference. Remember the equipment you connect to will likely also introduce more frame delay.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

AndreeMarkefors

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Do we have footage to look at from an actual Mini Pro?

I realise that it's the 'normal' 4.6 sensor, but I'd like to see for myself what the state of affairs is today—with footage shot on an actual Mini Pro body.

And what's the official statement from BMD regarding things like FPN and color shifts? Is this "user error", "1st gen sensor issues that have since been corrected—for real", "yes, still applies on all bodies" or "yes, still applies on some bodies—you'll get a new camera under warranty".

I read something about wide color gamut. Is this new, or same as classic Mini 4.6?

Thanks!
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 9:08 pm

sbrenner wrote:
Craig Marshall wrote:I have a question regarding the announced Nikon lens mount. Will it accept an optical Focal Reducer? (aka Speed Booster) One reason I stick with Sony cameras is I can adapt my large and now very valuable collection of Zeiss Full Frame lenses to S-35 with a Focal Reducer to restore each lens' original Field of View.

In the case of the legendary Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 for example, a lens with a ninety degree Field of View and focus virtually from the front glass to infinity, I get a really useful and fast (f/1.9) hand held Prime on any Sony (mirrorless) camera so I wonder if the optional Ursa Mini Pro Nikon mount has the potential to take a focal reducer where the EF mount will not?

I would think that the focal reducer would have to be built into an entirely new nikon mount.
If the camera becomes popular, maybe metabones will build one.

Yes, yes it would. You can not make a Focal Reducer (Speed Booster) for NikonF or CanonEF to Nikon or Canon mount, nor Nikon to Nikon or Canon to Canon. The FFD difference has to be great enough to allow for the optics and the physical adapter. That is why you only see them for Sony E to Canon/Nikon, or MFT to Canon/Nikon, the FFD of the MFT and Sony E mount is great enough to allow room for the adapter/focal reducer.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Craig Marshall

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Someone suggested on another thread that a CNC machined 'dumb' adapter could probably be fabricated to adapt the Mini Pro native lens 'socket' to say, E-Mount or MFT to retain the 18mm Flange to Sensor distance required for third party focal reducers. If so, this would allow the Mini Pro to adapt to virtually any lens on the market.
Last edited by Craig Marshall on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDvideo4K.com

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:Someone suggested on another thread that a CNC machined 'dumb' adapter could probably be fabricated to adapt the Mini Pro native lens 'socket' to say, E-Mount or MFT to retain the 18mm Flange to Sensor distance required for third party focal reducers. If so, this would allow the Mini Pro to adapt to virtually any lens on the market.

Possibly, depending on what the MinI Pro lens turret FFD actuall is. And a custom adapter like that, even CNCd, you would also be looking at $2K-3K! :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Craig Marshall

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Denny Smith wrote: ... And a custom adapter like that, even CNCd, you would also be looking at $2K-3K! :mrgreen:
Cheers

I doubt it - no optics required - just fit any existing Focal Reducer/Lens Adapter
HDvideo4K.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 2:21 am

Kim Janson wrote:It would be great to have "SpeedBooster" versions of the lens mount adapters, then B4 mount already has a lens system in it.

The B4 mount has a longer flange distance (48mm) than EF (44mm). That's why they could put the optic in the UM-PL, which has much less room than the new UMP-PL.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 2:39 am

Adding a lens mount with a FFD less than 40mm is a non starter. If you look at the Mini Pro lens mount photos, the EF mount is only about 4-6mm thick. So the lens mount Turret (the surface the lens mount mounts to) is about 38-40mm to start with. This is too long for a MFT mount (19.25mm), let alone a 18mm E mount! The 4-6mm Canon mount or 8mm thick Nikon mount do not have not enough room for any optics. (A MFT to Nikon Speed Booster uses all of the 20-24mm of space between a MFT and Nikon F mount FFD. A B mount is 48mm, so just enough room for a simple correction lens block. The senso on the Mini and Mini Pro is set back enough to allow for PL mount (52mm) lenses that have a rear element that protrude 6-10mm into the mount, so they clear the sensor and filter system on the Pro).
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krishna Pada

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 4:54 am

In a camera like this, why is the EF mount not lockable? Canon, Red and Arri are giving out lockable active EF mounts for their cameras, why not Blackmagic?
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:56 am

Krishna Pada wrote:In a camera like this, why is the EF mount not lockable? Canon, Red and Arri are giving out lockable active EF mounts for their cameras, why not Blackmagic?

My guess is cost.

Not everyone wants it, especially if it means the lens mount is more expensive. It could possibly be somewhere between 50-100% more expensive.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

George Tsikos

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi

Does anyone know...

- Is there an IR filter at ND setting 0?

- The SSD adapter, due to come out later in the year, connects via SDI IN/OUT. Two questions, why does it need the SDI IN? Also, isn’t anyone else here worried that by doing that you are left with no SDI out for a Focus Puller or Director monitor, or are there alternative solutions to this?

Thanks
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography