Video Assist Setup (win 10) not finding display

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Emiel Elgersma

Video Assist Setup (win 10) not finding display

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Just bought a Video Assist 5" and would like to run the windows software. Install was ok, but after connecting the display with usb it is not popping up in the software. tried orginal sd, downloaded latest software. did 2 reinstalls... not showing up. Any tips? System = windows 10.

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist Setup (win 10) not finding display

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 5:05 pm

The Video Assist USB is only for downloading the firmware updates. It is Not a Widonow's recognized device, and will not show up on your computer desktop. The VA is a camera Video recorder/display only, not a direct computer recorder. The VA is looking for a 8/10-bit, 4.2.2 video signal (not RGB).

It will show as the VA on the Firmware update software only, when connected via the USB connection.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Emiel Elgersma

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 1:06 pm

thnx.
It's a bit confusing as the software says: no video assist found.
Should be: your video assist is up to date, i guess.

Emiel Elgersma

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm

This is actually not the case. I connected the VA to my old macbook and there it was finding the device in the software.

Windows 10 seems to have driver problems with my VA which makes it not show in VA software... any idea how to fix it? I unistalled the drivers, software. re-installed the software... still not showing up in the VA Software on win10.

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Check device manager and see if it shows up at all. If there's an unknown device there, it may have a record of the error preventing driver install.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Adam Simmons

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 am

If your system uses secure boot then it may also be blocking the BM driver due to driver signing issues
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

davepanton

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Has anyone figured this out yet? I am dealing with the same issue. Can't update the firmware of my 5" video assist because when I download the firmware update my Video Assist won't show up in the software when I plug it in via USB and turn it on.

CMGoodin

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 am

I am also having this problem. Have Windows 10 64bit 1607 version and
Device Manager shows error when you plug in the VA 5"
Error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

It disables the driver. Tried uninstalling all Black Magic Software and re-Booting and Re-installing the VA software 2.3.1 also tried older version 2.3.0 NO LUCK...

Any solutions for Black Magic releasing a signed driver for this product so we can update the firmware?

Adam Simmons

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 1:45 pm

The driver is signed, just not signed by Microsoft which is what is required if you have secure boot enabled in the BIOS
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

CMGoodin

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:The driver is signed, just not signed by Microsoft which is what is required if you have secure boot enabled in the BIOS

Black Magic needs to fix this since almost all EFI based computers come with secure boot turned on.
They need to have the drivers registered or signed by Microsoft so we can install updates. Getting into the Bios to change the secure boot is problematic since it requires 4 reboots to change it, install the update and then change it back.

Adam Simmons

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 am

CMGoodin wrote:
Adam Simmons wrote:The driver is signed, just not signed by Microsoft which is what is required if you have secure boot enabled in the BIOS

Black Magic needs to fix this since almost all EFI based computers come with secure boot turned on.
They need to have the drivers registered or signed by Microsoft so we can install updates. Getting into the Bios to change the secure boot is problematic since it requires 4 reboots to change it, install the update and then change it back.

That would depend on if you buy a prebuilt system form someone like HP or built it yourself.
Motherboards themselves rarely come with secure boot enabled and therefore has to have it enabled by the user.
I was a system builder for over 17 years and never enabled secure boot as it's a complete waste of time due to the encryption keys already having been leaked, so once you turn it off you may as well leave it off

Return to Getting Started