URSA mini PRO 4.6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Krishna Pada

Re: URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Krishna Pada wrote:In a camera like this, why is the EF mount not lockable? Canon, Red and Arri are giving out lockable active EF mounts for their cameras, why not Blackmagic?

My guess is cost.

Not everyone wants it, especially if it means the lens mount is more expensive. It could possibly be somewhere between 50-100% more expensive.

That's acceptable if people are talking "pro". I thought this was a "pro" camera! At least an option should have been there. I hope there would be something from third party vendors if BMD doesn't come up with one.
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Thomas Hennessy

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Krishna Pada wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Krishna Pada wrote:In a camera like this, why is the EF mount not lockable? Canon, Red and Arri are giving out lockable active EF mounts for their cameras, why not Blackmagic?

My guess is cost.

Not everyone wants it, especially if it means the lens mount is more expensive. It could possibly be somewhere between 50-100% more expensive.

That's acceptable if people are talking "pro". I thought this was a "pro" camera! At least an option should have been there. I hope there would be something from third party vendors if BMD doesn't come up with one.

Pro was an odd name for this camera. It really should be the URSA Mini ENG Style One-Man Band Event Shooters 4.6K.

Most all of the added features add negligible value at best when using the 4.6k camera on a professional film set.

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:22 pm

So, then you would use the current Ursa Mini 4.6 or new upcoming Ursa 4.6 on a film set. Since the EF mount comes off the Pro version, a new lockable EF mount could be produced if demand is great enough.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:26 pm

I dunno. But who cares. They have created a replaceable mount, so if BM doesn't make one, somebody else can. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a third party mod in a few months after the camera starts shipping.

Timothy Cook

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Kim Janson wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:It would be great to have "SpeedBooster" versions of the lens mount adapters, then B4 mount already has a lens system in it.

The B4 mount has a longer flange distance (48mm) than EF (44mm). That's why they could put the optic in the UM-PL, which has much less room than the new UMP-PL.

I think the adapters should make it possible for all the lenses. Basically it looks like one could take the lens system form and existing SpeedBooster and fit that inside the EF mount

The current is not, but now they could provide easily such later on.

Kim, I am thinking of the same path you are. It will be cool to see some of the aftermarket lens mounts with Speedbooster built in natively in the coming future.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 7:06 pm

I just measured the optical block (not the overall adapter) of a .71X MFT Speed Booster, which is around 24mm, the BMPCC (.58X) SB optical block is 28mm. Even if the EF mount space was around 10-15mm thick, this is not enough room for a .71 optical block that would need 20-24mm of room.

So I do not think (I could be wrong here, you never know) that a EF Speed Booster mount would be doable. Also you would need enough of a demand for this mount to justify the cost in making one.
Just some thoughts on this... :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Timothy Cook

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I just measured the optical block (not the overall adapter) of a .71X MFT Speed Booster, which is around 24mm, the BMPCC (.58X) SB optical block is 28mm. Even if the EF mount space was around 10-15mm thick, this is not enough room for a .71 optical block that would need 20-24mm of room.

So I do not think (I could be wrong here, you never know) that a EF Speed Booster mount would be doable. Also you would need enough of a demand for this mount to justify the cost in making one.
Cheers

Nice! Already doing some of the leg work. Man I hope your calculatations are off or someone will figure out a mount that will work. Maybe something other than EF? Is there another mount that has more clearance than a EF?

How does Metabones do it with the EF to E mount Speedbooster?
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Timothy Cook

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Timothy Cook wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:I just measured the optical block (not the overall adapter) of a .71X MFT Speed Booster, which is around 24mm, the BMPCC (.58X) SB optical block is 28mm. Even if the EF mount space was around 10-15mm thick, this is not enough room for a .71 optical block that would need 20-24mm of room.

Cheers

Nice! Already doing some of the leg work. Man I hope your calculatations are off or someone will figure out a mount that will work. Maybe something other than EF? Is there another mount that has more clearance than a EF?

How does Metabones do it with the EF to E mount Speedbooster?

Never mind, I think I just answered my own question by looking at the UMpro with the mount off.
The ND filter is taking up any spare room in between the sensor and the rear lens element which would normally be present in a EF mount set up. The new BMD EF mount takes this into account and is a different measurement than any normal EF mount.

So, anyone trying to make a E mount would be dead in the water at the start since there isn't enough room with the ND filter between the sensor and the rear element of a E-mount lens.
But on the bright side the glass elements in the internal NDs look like they have screws to be removed.

Internal NDs or Full frame and Medium format lenses onto a S35 sensor. Pick your poison!

Saying all of this I could be very very wrong since I know little about proper lens distance and optical engineering (if that's even a term :D ), and that Sony has an internal ND already on a E-mount camera. Soooo, we got that going for us.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Sony has taken that into account on the E mount back focus FFD ( flange focal distance from the lens mount to the sensor, which is only 18mm. EF mount FFD is 44mm, that leaves the required 26mm or so, for the Speed Booster optical block. Same with MFT which is 19mm, but the Speed Booster rear element sticks 2mm or so, further back on the BMPCC SB. It is all in the math, you need physical room for the SB optical elements. Brian Caldwell can address more accurately and better than I, as he designed the SB optical system.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ashok.Vardhan

Timecode

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:How about delay on externally fed Timecode?

Current Ursa Mini doesn't sync to externally fed continuous Timecode (not just jammed and disconnected), it's always 1-3 frames off. Will this also be an issue with the Pro?

Jamie is this delay in just the display side of things (because some audio devices have this issue too eg. Zaxcom Nomad, the display of the timecode on the Nomad screen is off from that the TC source will be sending, however, the actual timecode stamp on the recorded audio clips are known to be just fine)?

Or, is it a known issue with the URSA Mini that the TC stamp on the video files are off from the actual received TC (by whatever known offset)?

These are the different situations of TC issues in most cameras:

1. Drift (depending on the clock inside the camera electronics the TC drifts over time once jammed to a certain source)
2. Offset (a constant fixed "lag" from the TC being inputed into the TC input)
3. Display lag (TC is recorded fine, but due to electronics processing time, the display of TC on the screen will be inaccurate)

It is a worrying thing if it is 1 or 2.

If you look into some of the posts I have made in the past, TC was one of the main reasons I have not bought this camera yet.

Timothy Cook

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Sony has taken that into account on the E mount back focus FFD ( flange focal distance from the lens mount to the sensor, which is only 18mm. EF mount FFD is 44mm, that leaves the required 26mm or so, for the Speed Booster optical block. Same with MFT which is 19mm, but the Speed Booster rear element sticks 2mm or so, further back on the BMPCC SB. It is all in the math, you need physical room for the SB optical elements. Brian Caldwell can address more accurately and better than I, as he designed the SB optical system.
Cheers

In your last two comments you keep mentioning using the EF to BMPCC speed booster. Not sure what you're hinting at? :P.

Are we not talking about the UMpro, and using the Metaboones EF to E mount speed booster? Full Frame to S35/aps-c speed booster. :). Not sure what you mean when you reference the EF to BMPCC Speedbooster.
http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BT2

I know that all SBs need room to fit between lens and sensor. I'm just saying that there is already a SB that works for EF to E. Someone makes an aftermarket E-mount for the UMpro and we slap a already existing Metabones SB onto it and call it a day. My only concern is if the NDs will get in the way some how.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Sorry Tim, I was referring to other posts that thought the MiniPro EF or Nikon F mount had enough room in it for a x.71 speed booster optical block. It does not according to the measurments of a similar SB .71SB I have for the BMPCC (used it for a typical eopticsl element size measurement, which is smaller than the Sony E mount to EF SB you were referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

The EF to E mount works as I,previously stated due to the short 18mm FFD on the E mount. This SB will in no way fit on a UM Pro, as the lens mount flange is much greater that 18mm, propably closer to 30-40mm. So yes, there is not enough room here for a SB, even without the filter system in the way.
Some of the newer MFT P/EF and Nikon SB will not fit in the Panny AF100 because if it's ND filter wheel in front of the sensor.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

chris.white

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Ursa Mini owners got what they bought and was promised by BM

Well, not entirely... When originally announced, BMD said the 4.6 would include gyro and switchable rolling/global shutter. We all know how that turned out ;)
---
c

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 am

Chris, true, but the surprise substitution of the B4 mount at least on the PL camera with the 12-pin hirose has been appreciated. I not it's not the same, but it was something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:05 am

Yes, and this new development was disclosed prior to the camera's release, so,early adopters had the opportunity to cancel or change their pre-orders. The Micro Cinema was also supposed to have a GS, but I didn't cancel my order, glad I didn't, as it turns out the sensor read out times for both sensors is very fast, compaired to BM's previous RS cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

And now the reviews... this review by Ben Allan ACS stresses the ease of operation of the USRA Mini Pro:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/03/06/i ... -mini-pro/

Rick Lang

Que Thompson

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Comic relief:

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 pm

How about adding Best Buy as a BMD Reseller? ;)
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jacob Fenn

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
Jonesy Jones wrote:
Jacob Fenn wrote:I'm in complete agreement here. I actually had my credit card out to buy the Ursa Mini Pro until I realized that, even with 4 media bays, it cannot record raw and proxy simultaneously (BM confirmed this with me on the phone). This is a huge omission, and the reason I'll be sticking with Red for now, despite my preference for not having cameras with skulls on them...

It's a physical switch to choose either CFast or SD, but I wonder if firmware might allow, at the very least, for recording of raw+proxy to one media type.

Come on guys! Gees. There is no other camera on the planet that can do what this camera can do for a price that is embarrassing to all other manufacturers, and still you find a complaint?

I'm not complaining, just pointing out a potential missed opportunity. It simply would have been an amazing feature in this feature full camera. And, also, by stating the desire and having others agree it gives Blackmagic the knowledge that it is desired. This way they can work to implement it in a future model.

You're misreading our intent Jonesy. The camera and price point are truly laudable, but the proxy omission is a big deal and there are more than enough warm fuzzies for the camera in other posts here. The most beneficial feedback isn't loading forums with info on how groundbreaking the camera is, but pointing out the features that could be changed–particularly those with a low implementation cost and a high return on capability. I would hope that adding a proxy recording option via firmware is just such a feature.

But, since you want to hear more of my feature wishlist, here goes. I'll give you my top four features available in other manufacturer's cameras which are still missing in the Ursa Mini, and I think you'll realize why the proxy feature was the most relevant (implementable) one to have mentioned. Please note, I'm mentioning multiple manufacturers here so please don't accuse me of being an ignorant fanboy of any one specific camera platform or of being anti-Blackmagic. Why do I think this is relevant to post here? Because Blackmagic may be one of the few camera manufacturers who will actually pay attention to this list. This is far from a list of everything I'd see on my ideal camera, but I think it represents the most major advantages of other camera systems compared to the UM 4.6k Pro. If everyone helps add to or subtract from this list it could be a very helpful bit of information.

1) Red's built-in WiFi capability in conjunction with the Fool Control app is amazing. You get full control of pretty much everything in the camera from basics like start/stop recording and recording codecs and framerate to specific looks modifiable with custom RGB curves (which stick with the footage all the way through post incidentally), all right from your phone. You can trigger playback from the camera with the app, input metadata, and, best of all, pull focus on Canon lenses right from the app. I've never seen anything like it and it's probably my current favorite feature. The focus pulling works better than it ought to with a decent lens and it has meant not installing a separate follow focus motor, gears, and receiver which is more helpful than I have words for. Red opening up their SDK to third-party development was a very good move in my opinion. Incidentally, I also appreciate Red's weight and form factor as it makes mounting on smaller gimbals a breeze. I've already mentioned Red's ability to shoot ProRes proxies alongside the .R3D raw files. Not having to copy all the data from a shoot over, but rather taking low-weight proxy files and doing a quick copy and edit on a laptop, only to re-conform to the original .R3D files (and at that point only copying the ones to my local drive that I need) is more helpful than I feel people give it credit for. Once you've worked this offline/online way it's tough to go back, and Blackmagic, makers of phenomenal post editing and grading tools, would be the logical ones to accommodate this workflow.

2) Sony's low light capability. The 4.6k sensor is simply not anywhere near the low-light league of the Sony sensors. Not much more to say there.

3) Olympus's sensor stabilization. After shooting handheld with smaller mirrorless cameras and their stabilized sensors, I have to admit really missing it when I pick up the cinema cameras from any manufacturer. I don't know that an S35 sensor could ever physically perform like a smaller MFT one when it comes to sensor stabilization, but it still makes a big difference when handheld on something like an S35 a6500.

4) Canon's dual pixel AF. On-sensor phase detection has made video AF truly usable in a huge number of situations, and now that BM has really made a competent ENG-style camera, this is one area where a C300 II really has an advantage.

Again, by no means a comprehensive list of my 'perfect camera', but here are the biggest advantages from other manufacturers (at least the big ones that came to mind) in my view from all the other cameras I've used. Everyone please chime in, and perhaps help rank these ideas (and yours) in priority. Again, you can see why adding the ability to shoot simultaneous proxies makes way more sense than trying to change any one of these aforementioned items. And again, if this camera weren't an amazing value for the things it *does* do at this price point I wouldn't be making this list in the first place. The Ursa Mini Pro is amazing, beyond the descriptive power of any of the available emoticons here :o
Written by an extremely average person.

timbutt2

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Jacob Fenn wrote:1) Red's built-in WiFi capability in conjunction with the Fool Control app is amazing. You get full control of pretty much everything in the camera from basics like start/stop recording and recording codecs and framerate to specific looks modifiable with custom RGB curves (which stick with the footage all the way through post incidentally), all right from your phone. You can trigger playback from the camera with the app, input metadata, and, best of all, pull focus on Canon lenses right from the app. I've never seen anything like it and it's probably my current favorite feature. The focus pulling works better than it ought to with a decent lens and it has meant not installing a separate follow focus motor, gears, and receiver which is more helpful than I have words for. Red opening up their SDK to third-party development was a very good move in my opinion. Incidentally, I also appreciate Red's weight and form factor as it makes mounting on smaller gimbals a breeze. I've already mentioned Red's ability to shoot ProRes proxies alongside the .R3D raw files. Not having to copy all the data from a shoot over, but rather taking low-weight proxy files and doing a quick copy and edit on a laptop, only to re-conform to the original .R3D files (and at that point only copying the ones to my local drive that I need) is more helpful than I feel people give it credit for. Once you've worked this offline/online way it's tough to go back, and Blackmagic, makers of phenomenal post editing and grading tools, would be the logical ones to accommodate this workflow.

This here I agree with. I've been asking for Wi-Fi integration into the URSA Mini camera lineup for maybe a year because I believe strongly in it. Even after Firmware 4.0 I thought it was the perfect next evolution. And, that's why I continue to push it.

Also, MovieSlate app also takes advantage of the RED Wi-Fi for Slate Metadata, and I think Blackmagic adding Wi-Fi will help DITs and Camera Assistants greatly with regards to this. Imagine being able to remotely update the Slate Metadata without having to dig into the camera menus on the camera, but doing it from a phone or tablet. Oh my! It's brilliant. No need to hassle the camera operator.

So, yes I think Wi-Fi needs to be the biggest focus for NAB 2018 and the next URSA Mini Pro Elite Cinema Camera. Maybe a new name is needed. Either way, beyond that I would say a new sensor with 15-stops of DR, Global Shutter, and a true Academy 35mm Sensor Size enabling Anamorphic shooting at full 35mm, and then cropping down to Super 35mm by not recording top and bottom pixels. Oh my, indeed.

Still really love the announcement of the URSA Mini Pro.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Phillip Bergman

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Yea I'm hoping that they are currently making the next upgrade for the ursa mini (global shutter, new sensor perhaps, 120fps without having to window, etc), so that by the time NAB 2018 comes around they can announce the camera, and then start shipping in a month or two, rather than announcing, and start shipping a year, to a year and half later with tons of problems. The announcement of the ursa mini pro is actually kind of perfect, because it adds exterior features to the camera that we will want to have when they actually upgrade the ursa mini in a year or two and hopefully by that time they will have worked out any issues to be able to give a really good camera.

Que Thompson

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm predicting an Ursa Mini 6K and the updated Pocket Cinema Camera at NAB this year.
Last edited by Que Thompson on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Que, what shipping dates are you predicting with those cameras?

Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm

There's a brief Mini Pro 'First look' - [unboxing] story just published on RedSharkNews: http://www.redsharknews.com/production/ ... o-unboxing
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Que Thompson

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm

rick.lang wrote:Que, what shipping dates are you predicting with those cameras?

Ursa Mini 6k "Shipping In July" and the updated Pocket Cinema Camera will be available "now".

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 pm

It ain't real 'til you see an unboxing. Enjoy this:

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/ ... o-unboxing

Or a feature from B&H Photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/vi ... 62/kwid/ez

Rick Lang

SylvieCasarella

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 pm

B&H has changed its listing for the Pro from being available March 8 to "Coming Soon". But if one is interested in using a PL lens, the PL adapter is now listed as coming in the Summer.

Assuming the camera comes in the next week or two, that means there is no point in buying one now if you use PL lenses! Is this the kind of thing to be expected from BM?

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm

My vendor here in Vienna/Austria (EU) got the first UMP 14 hours after the announcement - and it was sold just a few hours later. I think this says something. Or somebody mixed up Austria and Australia ;)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Its 1-2 frames on the SDI out on URSA/Mini. If you use our EVF that adds a frame in its processing so 2-3 frames total on the EVF. Some monitors can add even more frame delay in their processing, but either way we are looking to see if we can improve the SDI frame delay.

Thanks for that info. Is this typical of high-resolution cameras in general? I'm concerned about the delay for focus-pulling, especially when you add more delays that are inherent with monitors and wireless video transmission. By the time you've stacked the delays for those, and potentially added a bit more for a wireless follow focus, I'm wondering if you can focus on a moving subject accurately.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 am

SylvieCasarella wrote:B&H has changed its listing for the Pro from being available March 8 to "Coming Soon". But if one is interested in using a PL lens, the PL adapter is now listed as coming in the Summer.

Assuming the camera comes in the next week or two, that means there is no point in buying one now if you use PL lenses!
The camera is shipping now and in good quantity. This is why it is being seen in stores and customers have started receiving them already. There has been heavy demand for this camera right from the announcement so if you get in early with your orders you will be in a good spot in the que and we will get through any backorders quickly.

URSA Mini Pro PL mount is not an adapter it replaces the EF mount and so is much more robust than a simple mount adapter. First batch of B4 and PL mounts have shipped from the factory as of yesterday so the ones that were ordered early should be available very soon.
Last edited by Tim Schumann on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:12 am

¡Excelente!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Matthew Emmanuel

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 am

Timothy Cook wrote:So, anyone trying to make a E mount would be dead in the water at the start since there isn't enough room with the ND filter between the sensor and the rear element of a E-mount lens.
But on the bright side the glass elements in the internal NDs look like they have screws to be removed.

Dang so the Ursa Mini Pro probably won't get an E-mount turret in the future...I was thinking it'd be cool to get those new Fujinon MK zooms for the Ursa Mini Pro. Maybe the lenses will come in EF or PL in the future

Czardas Wang

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 am

Tim Schumann wrote:
SylvieCasarella wrote:B&H has changed its listing for the Pro from being available March 8 to "Coming Soon". But if one is interested in using a PL lens, the PL adapter is now listed as coming in the Summer.

Assuming the camera comes in the next week or two, that means there is no point in buying one now if you use PL lenses!
The camera is shipping now and in good quantity. This is why it is being seen in stores and customers have started receiving them already. There has been heavy demand for this camera right from the announcement so if you get in early with your orders you will be in a good spot in the cue and we will get through any backorders quickly.

URSA Mini Pro PL mount is not an adapter it replaces the EF mount and so is much more robust than a simple mount adapter. First batch of B4 and PL mounts have shipped from the factory as of yesterday so the ones that were ordered early should be available very soon.

Most of our distributors have received the Pro. Glad to see how efficient and fast BMD work on it this time.
Wise Advanced / Business Development / Taiwan

rick.lang

URSA mini PRO 4.6K

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Cinema5D's introductory review. Believe it contains an error re the audio quality, so let's not consider that comment from Nico seriously.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 4:21 pm

URSA Mini Pro PL mount is not an adapter it replaces the EF mount and so is much more robust than a simple mount adapter. First batch of B4 and PL mounts have shipped from the factory as of yesterday so the ones that were ordered early should be available very soon. Tim S. BM

That is what I keep saying, everyone is also calling the B4 Mount for the Ursa Mini PL an adapter too?
It's not an adapter, it is also an actual mount :!:

Good to know it's all shippping. Thanks Tim.
Cheers :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Phillip Bergman

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:00 pm

chris.white wrote:

Well, not entirely... When originally announced, BMD said the 4.6 would include gyro and switchable rolling/global shutter. We all know how that turned out ;)
---
c

Not to mention a messed up sensor that took almost another year to correct. I think all in all, from the time I ordered, it took a year and 8 months to get a working camera lol.

So I'm hoping they announce an Ursa Mini Pro 6k at NAB this Year! That way, by the time it ships (Which will probably be sometime in the summer of 2018, I'll be ready for another upgrade ;)

Adam Silver

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:

The camera is shipping now and in good quantity. This is why it is being seen in stores and customers have started receiving them already. There has been heavy demand for this camera right from the announcement so if you get in early with your orders you will be in a good spot in the que and we will get through any backorders quickly.

Hi Tim,

I ordered mine from B&H on Wednesday because it said they were arriving on Thursday ,March 9. I just called customer service, and they said they will not be receiving them until late April! Can you please find out about this?

Adam

Tommaso Alvisi

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Phillip Bergman wrote:So I'm hoping they announce an Ursa Mini Pro 6k at NAB this Year

That's funny, I'm hoping for a 2.5K version s35 sensor with the same tech (latitude)
but a larger pixel pitch and maybe even an OLPF...

I'm tired of the extreme sharpness and aliasing/moiré...

Paul Kramm

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 2:13 am

Adam Silver wrote:
Tim Schumann wrote:

Hi Tim,

I ordered mine from B&H on Wednesday because it said they were arriving on Thursday ,March 9. I just called customer service, and they said they will not be receiving them until late April! Can you please find out about this?

Adam
I just received a email from B&H photo and my camera will be delivered tomorrow !!!!
I ordered it March 3 and I will be receiving it tomorrow…
Can't wait to check it out !!!

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 4:00 am

Phillip Bergman wrote:
chris.white wrote:

---
c

Not to mention a messed up sensor that took almost another year to correct. I think all in all, from the time I ordered, it took a year and 8 months to get a working camera lol.

So I'm hoping they announce an Ursa Mini Pro 6k at NAB this Year! That way, by the time it ships (Which will probably be sometime in the summer of 2018, I'll be ready for another upgrade ;)

Yes, when the first cameras were released, it had some sensor issues, which BM resolved on a case-by-case basis. The Pocket camera also had sensor issues upon its release, and was about a year until it became fully functional Camera it is today. The BM announced before the UM and Micro Cinema camera release, that global shutter and GPS would not be available, to give any one a chance to cancel their order.

As it turned out, both cameras have a very fast sensor readout time, which helps reduce RS artificats.

Yes, the UM camera had issues, but it is a great little camera now, doing what it was designed to do -- make good images. It is being used successfully on several major Movie shoots, and some TV shows.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 1:29 pm

uhm... a question very important for me...
Pro mean for me only one interesting point, SSD recording instead CF.
Anyone can point me about official tech note about it? Until now i read only speculation about Grant talking.
Anyone know if is avaible also for old (not exactly old...) ursa mini 4.6k?
actually for me 4.6k classic seems perfect for my needings, but 1000$ + XXX for ssd recording is for me a good deal instead to spent a lot for CF and CF SATA reader and more... for raw recording.

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 5:14 pm

The UM SSD drive is not out, only u. Development, so who knows when and if it comes out. We only have Grant's reference to it at this time. It is not known if it will work with any of the other UM, or just the Pro.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Nicholas Tran

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Not to sound impatient, but did "shipping now" mean "shipping weeks from now"?
Hoping to the the camera in and do some tests before using it for a job, but now concerned if it will even be here on time... perhaps I should go with another solution just in case... :?

John Simpson

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 10:56 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:uhm... a question very important for me...
Anyone can point me about official tech note about it? Until now i read only speculation about Grant talking.
actually for me 4.6k classic seems perfect for my needings, but 1000$ + XXX for ssd recording is for me a good deal instead to spent a lot for CF and CF SATA reader and more... for raw recording.

I think you'll find the SSD rear drive unit won't be a replacement for CFast but good for proxies or shooting UHD 444 hq Prores simulaneously. Its seems the same as the 4KVA as it records from the SDI port, and why no RAW is available. CFast cards are cheap now... no need for SSD unless you need to record 8 hours straight lol. You'll need a CFast card in the slot for it to work, I think.
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 am

John Simpson wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:uhm... a question very important for me...

I think you'll find the SSD rear drive unit won't be a replacement for CFast but good for proxies or shooting UHD 444 hq Prores simulaneously. Its seems the same as the 4KVA as it records from the SDI port, and why no RAW is available. CFast cards are cheap now... no need for SSD unless you need to record 8 hours straight lol. You'll need a CFast card in the slot for it to work, I think.

i think i express my point in the wrong way, i read about ssd recorder like alternative to cf for RAW recording. CF are not cheap, i spent since 500$ to record 12 minutes of raw instead of ssd where i can record 40minuted with 190$. i bought blackmagic for raw, not for prores... i just have Va4K for proxy or good prores alternative to raw, but for me ursa with dual CF is not a good solution. i risk to spent for a shooting day since half of value of camera.
CF are bad solution be cause :
- actually 1 hour of shooting raw is very expansive
- interface of adapter to copy shooting to computer and backup are slow (i not have and not want to use thunderbolt be cause is not enough efficient for its cost)
- CF are less simplier to find than good ssd (if you are in emergency, if someone stole your card bag, if you shoot more than thought, if you need more card than the time of double copy for backup, and more).
- Is very simplier to found fake CF in the shop, and if an Ssd is simplier to check, CF performance if you not test with bmd are not so easy to check

i understand that not everyone have same necessity and everyone need different support for different task. But if Ssd with 180-200 mbs can record 25 fps raw 4k, i think a ssd 480mps like extreme pro that i can use with bmpc4k could save 60fps 4.6k raw...

roger.magnusson

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I wonder if BMD is implementing a protocol for RAW output over the SDI port. Would make sense for the SSD recorder.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 12:38 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I wonder if BMD is implementing a protocol for RAW output over the SDI port. Would make sense for the SSD recorder.

actually bmd have sdi prores video recorder (from years), from 2 years have video assist recorder, then actually the reason of a new recorder is only if you can record a raw, or is not justified a developing of new recorder, and talking about it especially in a ursa minipro presentation

roger.magnusson

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 1:59 pm

There's existing SDI recorders that do what they're supposed to, sure. But form factor and ease of use isn't very good. With current firmware you can't even trigger recording unless the camera is also recording to internal media.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Another decent review carefully presented by Paul G Williams. Still no stills or video in these early reviews.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/03/13/w ... the-field/

Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Yes, a very good read with excellent photography. The writer's several criticisms are valid though and the lack of Timecode control especially, is a bit confronting. A camera operator's ability to set up Reel Numbers with User Bits in the field for example, is absolutely essential IMO and can save a lot of time/money in Post.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography