SDK with VB.NET issue

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Philippe Beau

SDK with VB.NET issue

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 am

At first, hello All,

I'm new to DECKLINK's support and have some blocking point. after reading the SDK documentation i have issue to start-over handle the decklink's sdk using SDI interface to capture video flow with VB.NET

Is there some kind of tutorial for this ? i found a lot of C example but near nothing for VB.NET

Configuration : Blackmagic Decklink 4K Pro
Development tool : VS 2015/2017

Kind Regards

Philippe B

Xtreemtec

Re: SDK with VB.NET issue

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 2:54 pm

It would be best to take this question to the Software developer side on this forum..

One of the mod's will put it there soon i guess..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Waqqas Sharif

Blackmagic Design

Re: SDK with VB.NET issue

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:43 am

Hello Philippe,

Unfortunately, we do not have VB.NET samples which demonstrate capture.

On Windows, the DeckLink API is provided as a set of COM interfaces. It is possible to use the SDK from C#.

The DeckLink SDK includes a C# sample called SignalGenCSharp [1]. That sample demonstrates the basics of interacting with the API from C#.

The SDK Manual applies equally to C# as it does to C++ as it documents the interface, not a particular implementation.

I would recommend the Windows CapturePreview sample (Win\Samples\CapturePreview\) as a starting point to capture an image.

In the CapturePreview sample, file DeckLinkDevice.cpp, please see function DeckLinkDevice::VideoInputFrameArrived[2] which is the callback which receives captured video frames.

The IDeckLinkVideoInputFrame parameter to the callback is a reference to the captured video frame. The GetBytes [3] method of the videoFrame parameter can be used to obtain access to the raw video buffer.

To get an overall understanding of the process, see SDK Manual section "2.4.1 Capture" for a high level overview of the steps required to perform a capture operation.

Please see SDK Manual section "2.7.4 Pixel Formats", and the other methods in the IDeckLinkVideoFrame interface (GetHeight, GetRowBytes, etc.) for the information required to interpret the raw video buffer.

Please note that the DeckLink SDK provides access to the raw video data, but does not include interfaces for file IO, video codecs or image file formats.

Regards
Waqqas

[1] Win/Samples/SignalGenCSharp/
[2] 2.5.10.1 IDeckLinkInputCallback::VideoInputFrameArrived method
[3] 2.5.5.6 IDeckLinkVideoFrame::GetBytes method

Return to Software Developers