HyperDeck Studio Mini FTP

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

SimonCoates

HyperDeck Studio Mini FTP

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 pm

I am looking into using the HyperDeck Studio Mini for a particular job and it is almost perfect for our needs, except for the fact that it records solely in Prores: we need to be able to quickly copy the recorded footage onto USB sticks to be played back on any computer.

I noticed in the documentation that reference is made to FTPing files on to the HyperDeck and I was wondering it is also possible to FTP files off too? If so, then I can create a workflow that converts the footage fairly easily.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Simon Coates

Tony Marone

Re: HyperDeck Studio Mini FTP

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Simon,

I have 8 of the Hyperdeck Minis. My experience is that the FTP transfer is very s l o w. You better pack a lunch if your files are over 30 seconds long.

Tony

SimonCoates

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks for the advice Tony. That's a great pity - our videos tend to be around two-minute mark. I might have to investigate another approach. :(

Simon

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:30 am

Are you using a gigabit (1000 Mbit/s) Ethernet connection with the HyperDeck Studio Minis? And if so, what kind of transfer speeds are you seeing over FTP?

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm interested in this as well. Was looking at the Hyperdeck Minis as a way to get media off the devices and sling it across the country. But if the FTP is painfully slow that may not work for me :(
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

David Hutchinson

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm

With a gigabit network I'm getting 3MBs while recording and 4MBs when not recording .... did someone say it was slowwwwwwwww?

Andrei Matei

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 6:38 am

I am getting 2.5 MB/s with FileZilla when I copy from the HyperDeck Mini to my Mac and 10 MB/s when I copy to the device. So I would say it is very slow, we need to find another solution to get files from it. When having a 45 min video material, it takes 1 hour.

Connection to switch is gigabit. Do any of you have other solutions for this?

Nathan Allworth

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 pm

It needs SMB or AFP to be really useful. I have a weekly recording I need to get to as well, and trekking across campus to get to it is a pain (why yes, I'm lazy...why do you ask?). I'll just have to make sure our TDs and operators pull the card at the end of the production and plug it into one of the computers that I have network remote access to. Not ideal but serviceable.

Ben Harper

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I've just been running some speed tests on our Hyperdeck Minis and seem to be getting a much improved transfer speed over what's reported above:

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Ben Harper wrote:I've just been running some speed tests on our Hyperdeck Minis and seem to be getting a much improved transfer speed over what's reported above
Yes, I believe in HyperDeck firmware update 5.2 released in December 2017, they significantly improved the FTP transfer speeds.

Ben Harper

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:08 am

Good to hear - I hadn't seen this info publicly on forums, etc - so was pleasantly surprised when I found the faster access.

tydr7to

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:24 pm

We purchased a HyperDeck Studio Mini to replace a BM Shuttle drive that we are currently using to record our services. One of the reasons we went with the Mini is because of the FTP upload and download. We have multiple venues each Sunday and instead of carrying a SD card between sites we are looking at uploading the service to each mini for playback. This week while testing, I uploaded a 9.5gb file from our production office to the mini. I think I remember seeing that it was going to take 15 minutes or so. (Might be a result of the SD card we are using) I found that about a third of the way through I lost connection to the mini. I actually had to unplug the mini and then plug it back in to regain connection. This happened twice in the process of uploading the file. We normally have a stable network so this was a surprise. I was using Filezilla on a Mac to upload the file. I'm not sure if this is an equipment issue or a network / Filezilla issue. Has anyone else had this happen?

Martin Jones

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 12:34 am

Has the situation improved with the FTP?

What speeds are people getting now?

When you upload files, are the automatically recognized for playback?

Martin Jones

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 pm

I'll answer my own questions.

FTP is very fast, I get about 70MB/sec over my network.

The files are automatically recognized by the deck. Sometimes it takes a second.

If the deck is set to record a different format than the file you uploaded, it won't see it.

glazij

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 12:57 am

this is driving me nuts, using a mac book pro running Catalina, tried a couple of ftp apps. but i cannot get my sdcard into read and write, nothing i do will allow me to change my permissions, any ideas?

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSat Jul 10, 2021 8:40 am

I am able to send files to the deck via FTP, however, if I try getting a file from the deck, the ftp server locks up.
anyone has the same behavior ?

Return to Live Production