Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Mixing free and studio licenses

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Claudiu Olaru

Mixing free and studio licenses

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:08 am

Hey,

I'm just trying to figure out if it's OK to use both the free version of Fusion 8 and the paid Studio version in the same facility. I seem to recall reading something about it a while ago, but I can't find any info now and the EULA isn't helping either.

Thanks!

Claudiu Olaru

Re: Mixing free and studio licenses

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:03 pm

So nobody's doing this or has any idea?

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Sure you can use Fusion free and Fusion Studio in the same facility.
there is no license restrictions on Fusion free, you can use it on commercial projects

Chad Capeland

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 am

It's great to have Fusion everywhere and just put Fusion Studio on where you need it, but the installers don't really help you much here. It would be so nice if there was a commandline option to open Fusion Studio as Fusion. That way you don't check out a floating license or check for a dongle if you're just playing back an EXR sequence or something simple like that.

EDIT: We did this back in the day with DFX+. Production managers, editors, illustrators, etc. would use DFX+ because it was cheaper but could still read files shared by the Fusion users. It's an even better setup now as Fusion has more features that you'd actually use than DFX+ did. But it's just a pain not being easily able to differentiate between Fusion and Fusion Studio now.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:30 am

+1

We have 4 computers installed here, multiple resolve/fusion users, but mostly one at the time, depending on who is available for the designated coloring/compositing projects. would be handy to be able to have both versions installed at the same system, because alot of times the extra functions that comes with the studio versions aren't necessary. but sometimes they are. then we just move over this one dongle we have.

But i guess we should just buy 4 licences then :)

Return to Fusion