How to make my Canon xh a1 work with VA4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Fred Whiteman

How to make my Canon xh a1 work with VA4K

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:39 am

I need help getting my Canon xh a1 earlier model not an s model to work with the VA4K. Do I need special cables,converter or is it just a matter of using the proper settings? Help Thanks

Denny Smith

Re: How to make my Canon xh a1 work with VA4K

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:01 pm

the G1 has a professional jack pack, with an HD SD out, which can feed a signal to the ATEM, but ntrhe camera is a 1080i output only at 60 fps (1080i60).. The issue is whether this output is actually 60fps or 59.94 NTSC, which the ATEM requires. You need to test this by connecting the camera to a SDI monitor, and seeing what the actual output is. I have only used these cameras in SD mode, connected to a Tricaster, which worked fine. Canon often calls 59.94i as 60i, but with another camera, makes a dissection.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Denny he is talking about the XH-A1.. This is the old model without SDI.

The only thing he can do to connect it to his atem is to buy an analog to sdi miniconverter. Put the settings in the camera to> Component Out HD 1080

This way he will get 1920x1080i50 / 60 out of his miniconverter to the atem or VA. (but you need to power the converter too....

Done this many times.. But recently traded my XH-A1 up to a XH-G1 because of the direct SDI output :mrgreen:

The video assist can not work directly without and analog to sdi converter.. As the VA only support SDI. and the XH-A1 does not have SDI at all. Just analog Composite and Component video.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Fred Whiteman

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I think I have it figured out. Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle usb 3 model and hopefully the VA4K`s mini usb will power the Intensity. Thoughts. Thanks

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 pm

OK, thanks Daniel my bad, got the models mixed up, I had the newer one. Yes a Mini Coverter to the component HD output would be the best bet for 1080i50/60. But does the ATEM take full 1080i60, or only 1080i59.94? Remember something about this in another post. :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fred Whiteman

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 am

Just got back from the video store, the shuttle thing will not work, we are going with Daniel`s plan.
Thanks

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 am

Fred No!! Intensiteit shuttle is only for usb capturing to a computer.
And the usb on the Va is only for updates. There is no power on that..

You need an Analog to sdi miniconverter from Blackmagic. Look on the website under miniconverters.

Denny. Not Sure About 59.94. Im in a 50hz country (Thank god!! :mrgreen: )
But on 50 hz it is no problem at all. It intercom ect's with the analog to sdi early and works fine. I even think it is 4:2:2 if used with component. But not Sure About that one. Still love the image of this camera. But i could Be blinded because it was my first boughed camera and have been my workhorse for years till i invested in a JVC hm700
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks Daniel, yes, 50Hz is easier to deal with, no double standards! I started out with the XL, and old it to get a XL2, as a personal camera that I could afford. I used Sony ENG cameras at work, and when HD first started p, and broadcast switched, I was able to get a used Sony DVcam ENG camera, as the station I was working at then, was still a SD Cable station, until it closed. Sold it to go HD/SD with the Panny AF100. But I also still have the XL2, with a Fuji ENG manual/servo zoom and Ikegami pro B&W EVF on it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started