What carry case to use for the URSA mini that's fully rigged

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim Rudolf

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm looking for a run and gun case. I have a simple rig, the viewfinder, lens of course, shotgun mic and the control arn on the side of the camera. I'm looking for a soft case that I can just pull out the camera, power up, and shoot. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

Denny Smith

Re: What carry case to use for the URSA mini that's fully ri

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 am

PortaBrace makes several run and gun ENG bags that would work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:03 am

@Jim. I recently purchase the FLANDERS Solutions Cam 3, flew with it to Boston. Of course broke the camera down and took it on board. Packed all my audio and other goodies and checked it.Image Image

Another option just came out from Tenba.

Cineluxe Roller 21, will be adding to my transporter collection. http://www.tenba.com/collections/cineluxe.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gek, jr.

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:05 am

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:@Jim. I recently purchase the FLANDERS Solutions Cam 3, flew with it to Boston. Of course broke the camera down and took it on board. Packed all my audio and other goodies and checked it.Image Image

https://www.shopfsi.com/FSI-Solutions-C ... p/cam3.htm

Cineluxe Roller 21, will be adding to my transporter collection. http://www.tenba.com/collections/cineluxe.aspx

gek, jr.

Jim Rudolf

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks George,
Nice set up. I was looking for a case where I can just shoot an run, The camera is so wide with the VF and side grip.

Jim

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:@Jim. I recently purchase the FLANDERS Solutions Cam 3, flew with it to Boston. Of course broke the camera down and took it on board. Packed all my audio and other goodies and checked it.Image Image

Jim Rudolf

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi Denny,

LOVE Portabrace. They do you have run n gun kits. But mostly the eng cameras. The thing with the BM camera is the VF does not slide in, and the side grip handle, Making the camera about 11 inches wide, it's a weird shape.

Jim

Denny Smith wrote:PortaBrace makes several run and gun ENG bags that would work.
Cheers

Ivon Visalli

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 am

Jim,

I use this bag...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=864090&is=REG&fromDisList=y

It handles my fully rigged UM4.6K including evf, matte box, and battery. I see the model I have has been discontinued, but you might be able to find one with similar specs.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:29 am

My Lowepro Pro Runner 450 backpack might do as you can reconfigure the padding. I use it all the time with the camera rigged. Don't be afraid, this link refers to Canadian dollars so it's almost nothing anywhere else.

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/pro-runner-bp-450-aw-ii-ca

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jim Rudolf

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks Ivon,

This is what I have been looking for. I'll look on the PortaBrace site, When I get to a site, I hate putting the camera together. I just want to pull it out, mount to my sticks and go. It would save me so much time,

Jim
Ivon Visalli wrote:Jim,

I use this bag...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=864090&is=REG&fromDisList=y

It handles my fully rigged UM4.6K including evf, matte box, and battery. I see the model I have has been discontinued, but you might be able to find one with similar specs.

Jim Rudolf

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks Rick, they look like nice bags. What kind of camera do you have rigged?

Jim

rick.lang wrote:My Lowepro Pro Runner 450 backpack might do as you can reconfigure the padding. I use it all the time with the camera rigged. Don't be afraid, this link refers to Canadian dollars so it's almost nothing anywhere else.

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/pro-runner-bp-450-aw-ii-ca

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Jim, the URSA Mini 4.6K PL Cinegears 270 Wh battery, Chrozsiel Fluid Zoom (as a follow focus), lens support, with BMVF, BMD Shoulder Kit, SLR Magic APO primes, and BT Misfit Atom matte box. I'll include a pic later. I need to rearrange my dividers to illustrate how it works now I have a box of 4x5.65" filters to include.

When I'm driving to a site, this is how I transport the camera. The 12" rails should be replaced by 8" rails when I'm using the APO primes. The Fujinon requires the 12" rails and when using that lens I have also carried it in the pack with some rearranging and the battery then on the camera. I have many padded dividers not shown that provide safe and stiff support for travel.

If I had to close the backpack, then the top handle and mic need to come off. Not as good a solution as the taller Portabrace, but the back pack has many other compartments to store filters etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jim Rudolf

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Wow Rick,

Thanks for the pic. That helps. They look like great bags! I'll have to see if they are going to be at NAB this year. It's a shame the VF doesn't slide to the right, to slim it down a little, I'm getting back into video, I use t a videographer with the Broadcast cameras, betacam. I'm use to just powering up the camera and shooting. It's a good camera for working on a set, but in the field shooting b-roll, or quickly trying to grab shots, it's a little cumbersome. But I'm happy with the quality of the image, so I need to make it work. You know?

Jim

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Lowepro also has larger bags including rollers, but I wanted a backpack for its utility.

Rick Lang

robmneilson

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 4:46 pm

I quite like the Portabrace CTC 3. You can have enough room for a full rigged Ursa mini (though you will have to take the mattebox off, but there is still space to stash it in the case).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _Case.html

Jim Rudolf

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Thanks Rob,
I looked at this, but wasn't sure how the VF would fit.

Jim

robmneilson wrote:I quite like the Portabrace CTC 3. You can have enough room for a full rigged Ursa mini (though you will have to take the mattebox off, but there is still space to stash it in the case).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _Case.html

robmneilson

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Jim, I keep the EVF attached to the camera in my CTC3 case. Since its essentially made for ENG style cameras that have a viewfinder there is a hollowed out channel for the eyepiece. So you're set there.

In my case right now I have a TON of space (since mattebox, filters, batts are stored elsewhere) but in the past I've flown with my camera, 2x antion bauer batts, evf, handles, cards, filters all in this one bag.

I'm tempted to buy another (since Ill have a mini & pro shortly) but I've got an old portabrace thats way bigger sitting around (almost too big).

Jim Rudolf

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification Rob. That's what I thought the VF would fit in, but wasn't sure. I didn't want to buy and then send it back. Too bad you can't get commission on this from Porta Brace.
Have a good one!
Jim

robmneilson wrote:Jim, I keep the EVF attached to the camera in my CTC3 case. Since its essentially made for ENG style cameras that have a viewfinder there is a hollowed out channel for the eyepiece. So you're set there.

In my case right now I have a TON of space (since mattebox, filters, batts are stored elsewhere) but in the past I've flown with my camera, 2x antion bauer batts, evf, handles, cards, filters all in this one bag.

I'm tempted to buy another (since Ill have a mini & pro shortly) but I've got an old portabrace thats way bigger sitting around (almost too big).

Craig Marshall

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I mostly use a 19" Rack flight case when traveling internationally as it takes my Sony full rigged with matte box and Rode NTG3. These hard cases are designed for transporting sensitive audio gear so feature a robust carry handle and removable top & bottom covers. You simply position the case on its bottom, remove the top hatch, lift the fully rigged camera out and start shooting. They are available on ebay at prices way below overpriced 'brand' cases designed for cameras. If your rigged camera is < 19" long, you're in business. The cases come in various 'rack units' so the width of your camera should not be an issue.

If you need a soft case, I recommend a custom camera backback. The Fancier unit I use will carry up to 20 Kg of camera and accessories comfortably on your back into remote areas and it does not look like it has and expensive camera and lenses inside. My partially rigged camera can still be on the sticks and shooting within 30 seconds but the same backpack and my 7Kg fluid tripod fits neatly inside any large suitcase so can be safely shipped through airport carousels like any other tourist luggage.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:19 am

I also use the Flanders Cam3. Fits the rigged camera very well along with extra batteries and accessories.
Perfect for any location where you can roll as the wheels and handle are solid and work very well. If you've got to take a lot of stairs or hike, it's not a good option.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Michael Moore

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:07 pm

I use a Fancier WB-HDC888 and its perfect for ursa mini with viewfinder, shoulder mount and battery attached to camera.

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 am

Jim Rudolf wrote:Hi Denny,

LOVE Portabrace. They do you have run n gun kits. But mostly the eng cameras. The thing with the BM camera is the VF does not slide in, and the side grip handle, Making the camera about 11 inches wide, it's a weird shape.
Jim
Denny Smith wrote:PortaBrace makes several run and gun ENG bags that would work.
Cheers

With the EVF attached and camera mounted, the UM is about the same size as a Sony DXC series 1/2-inch ENG camera, if it will fit a CT3/4, it will fit a PortaBrace ENG Quick Draw (Run and Gun) case. But these cases have minimal padding, so they do require some care.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Phillip Bergman

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 10:12 pm

So I had been searching for a Bag to quickly carry my fully rigged Ursa Mini in for local shoots where I want to be able to pull it out of the bag, ready to go. Most bags that were big enough seemed to run upwards of $200 for something that was solid. So I went to Home Depot and found this tool bag for $50 (online), $70 in store. It's a Husky 24" Big Field Duffle. I can fit my Ursa Mini 4.6k with Shoulder rig, top handle, mattebox, and Extension arm. I took the Handle off of the extension arm because if I leave it on it has to sit more centered in the bag and then I couldn't fit the inserts that I have to hold extra stuff. Those inserts that I have in there are just sock drawer collapsable inserts that I got at Ikea for like 10 dollars. But yea, so I can fit the fully rigged mini with some space for extra stuff, like as you see in the picture, my 24-105mm and 70-200mm, and then I have room to throw in an extra battery or other miscellaneous items. And there's a front pouch where I can put power cords and things like that. The bag is huge, is probably not something you'd want to be traveling on plane with, but for a local shoot where I just want to quickly pull out the camera and shoot it seems to work great. Very sturdy bag and pretty cheap.

Bag 1.jpg
Bag 1.jpg (691.2 KiB) Viewed 11172 times

Bag 2.jpg
Bag 2.jpg (483.86 KiB) Viewed 11172 times

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Great idea, it works, and does not scream "Video Camera" :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Rudolf

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:22 am

That's a awesome idea! I did order a bag from Porta Brace. I'll post pictures to show how it works!

Jim

Return to Cinematography