Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Copy/Paste keyframes crashes Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Adam Katz

Copy/Paste keyframes crashes Fusion

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 6:08 am

I might be doing something wrong since I'm new to Fusion, but I can find a way to copy/paste keyframes between nodes. And when I do try to paste keyframes, Fusion immediately crashes.

So say that I have a 2 Merge nodes. Merge 1 has an animation on the blend. I want to copy that same animation to the the Merge 2 node. How am I supposed to go about doing this?

I have tried going into the timeline and selecting the keyframes under Merge 1 -> Blend. I copy them, but if I try to paste them (with the right click menu) Fusion immediately crashes.

I'm running Fusion 7.7 build 0 on Windows 7.

Thanks

Rony Soussan

Re: Copy/Paste keyframes crashes Fusion

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm

First, you can paste an instance of a transform, which will make a depended copy that matches the values of your parent node, and the instanced node can also have individual parameters de-instanced as well.

Once you de-instance the node, it will retain the settings, so you can copy paste instance, and de-instance.

Jens Noelte

Re: Copy/Paste

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 9:52 am

new to fusion
working with 7.71
I box selected keyframes, wanted to copy and paste this group of keyframes to another position in the timeline. That doesn't work for timeline nor spline editor. wtf???

Fusion doesn't crash, I just can't copy + paste keyframes...

Jens Noelte

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Anybody out there...?
How come I can't copy/paste keyframes in the fusion spline editor? Win 7 ctrl+c, ctrl+v. Some hidden checkmark in preferences, is it not possible in fusion, or am I too stupid? Help please!

Ryan Bloomer

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi Jens,

in the example with merges.

1. Select the keyframes in the timeline of Merge1 and copy them
2. Go to Merge2 right-click on Blend and select animate
3. Go to the timeline of Merge2, place CTI where you want the keyframes to start paste

hope that helps

Ryan Bloomer

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 6:57 pm

and make sure you "deselect" the keyframes you copied. if you don't you can't paste, this might be what you're running into

Jens Noelte

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 6:21 pm

deselect worked, thanks Ryan!

Kel Philm

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Is there any quick way to copy just say the transform position to another tool? Currently I have to copy x,y,z seperately. I am sure there must be a way to do this but I can't find it?

Adelson Munhoz

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Kel

You can use the Pickwhipping technique, described at the page 144 of the Fusion 8 Manual.

In summary:

1. In the Edit box of the position you want to copy, type =.
2. Press Return (Mac OS X) or Enter (Windows).
3. Drag from the Add button next to the expression field to the target parameter you want (both has to be selected for this).
4. Adjust the target parameter to adjust the original parameter

KonradWelz

Re: Copy/Paste

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Jens Noelte wrote:new to fusion
working with 7.71
I box selected keyframes, wanted to copy and paste this group of keyframes to another position in the timeline. That doesn't work for timeline nor spline editor. wtf???

Fusion doesn't crash, I just can't copy + paste keyframes...

I have to say that was also driving me crazy. Every other app in the world allows CTRL C / V to copy and paste keyframes. Or Alt+clicking and dragging... But I've just read in the manual you must select the keyframes and then CTRL click and drag them to where you want to 'paste' them. Trying to fall in love with Fusion, but many such irritations on the way. My other pet peeve is why no JKL hotkeys for reverse play / pause / play ?

Salvo Triolo

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 am

Hi, I'm trying to copy/past some animation keys...I'm trying but this software crashes ALL the time.
The demo that I showed to the client is totally out of sync because of some (12 cams) xyz cam position manually copy/pasted.

Me: "obviously It's only a demo"
The Client: "I see..."

So fusion wins...I'm restarting my project with another sw.
Please, solve this painful issue.

Fusion 7.7.1 free on W10.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm

So, have you tried the most recent version of the software? Noone will 'fix' old software.
Download the most recent build and try again. Maybe then we can help you a bit more.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Salvo Triolo

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:So, have you tried the most recent version of the software? Noone will 'fix' old software.
Download the most recent build and try again. Maybe then we can help you a bit more.

I know this version is a bit outdated but I use some useful scripts that I would lose in newer releases but...if Fusion 8.x have no issues in copy/past keys I'll try it (one of this days) :D

Bryan Ray

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 pm

For what it's worth, I get no crashes with this method on Fusion 7.7.1 in Windows 7. I can copy and paste key values from the Timeline or the Spline View with no problem. Ctrl+C/V don't seem to work (although they show as the correct Copy and Paste hotkeys in the context menu), but right-clicking and choosing "Copy Points" then "Paste Points/Value" works just fine.

To copy keyframes in either view interactively, select the keyframes you want to manipulate, hold Control and slide them. I personally don't like that method because I keep accidentally copying my keys into a different channel as well as offsetting them.

You can also copy a node, then right click on another node with the same channels and paste the settings. For instance, copy your Camera3D, create a SpotLight. Switch to the 3D controls of the SpotLight, right click on one of the Translate controls and choose "Paste Translate Group Settings." The translation keyframes from the camera will be copied into the SpotLight.

As for the shuttle and play controls… I dream of a distant future in which those controls are standardized across every platform. In the meantime, you can always modify the hotkeys. It's moderately difficult to do in Fusion 7 and earlier, but very easy in 8. I'm not sure if there's a play reverse command in there, though.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

michael vorberg

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm

works for me

to paste a keyframe with ctrl+v you have to select/mark the "animation curve" you want to insert the keyframe (it gets a grey underlay when selected)

Salvo Triolo

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 9:48 am

I have no problem to copy/past sigle keys along the timeline of a single entity.
My problem is to transfer coordinates/values from an entity to another e.g. two cams:
an animated targeted cam have 6 coordinates values per frame and I want to copy/past this 6 values from cam_A to cam_B so...how to proceed?

michael vorberg

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:35 pm

copyKeys2.gif
copyKeys2.gif (584.67 KiB) Viewed 8933 times

Bryan Ray

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:01 am

I'm just going to quote myself here, since you evidently didn't bother to read it the first time:

Bryan Ray wrote:
You can also copy a node, then right click on another node with the same channels and paste the settings. For instance, copy your Camera3D, create a SpotLight. Switch to the 3D controls of the SpotLight, right click on one of the Translate controls and choose "Paste Translate Group Settings." The translation keyframes from the camera will be copied into the SpotLight.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Salvo Triolo

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

(hope this isn't a double post)
It seems that is possible all sort of copy/past exept the type I need :)
However, thanks to your patience now I know more ways to copy/past keys and this help me a lot.
Attachments
copy_past.jpg
copy_past.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 8897 times

Return to Fusion