usb 3.0 the evil...

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

usb 3.0 the evil...

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:21 pm

A simple but important question to BMD developers...
Anyone have ever thought that actually there are a lots of device usb 3.0 only?
actually i have myself and with some friends since twenty computers between notebook and desktop, and no one can work throught usb 3.0 to update firmware or upload luts to BMPC4k and VA4K.
I checked that we have different chipset from nec to renesas to intel and more...

when someone buy a products that not have usb 2.0 or old computers not work?
The problem is not BMD related, but most of newer products have problems with usb 3.0 connection.

Actually i have an old (2012) mobile workstation HP that with usb 2.0 i can update my gears, but if it will be broken in some way... i'm feared about it..

roger.magnusson

Re: usb 3.0 the evil...

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 pm

No issues with USB 3.0 on my HP:s or Macs. Are you perhaps using cables only certified for USB 2.0 with USB 3.0 devices? USB 3.0 cables usually have ferrite rings on them.

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 am

Not necessarily, inexpensive USB cables use the rings to compensate for poor shielding in the cable.
I have and use high bandwidth USB cables, no issues with USB 2 or 3. I would definitely get good new USB 3/hig bandwth cables, should solve your problems. :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mubarak Almubarak

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:no one can work throught usb 3.0 to update firmware or upload luts to BMPC4k and VA4K.

Wait, you can upload luts to BMPC4K? :shock:

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 9:40 am

Mubarak Almubarak wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:no one can work throught usb 3.0 to update firmware or upload luts to BMPC4k and VA4K.

Wait, you can upload luts to BMPC4K? :shock:

No, update on bmpc, Lut on va4k

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 am

Denny Smith wrote:Not necessarily, inexpensive USB cables use the rings to compensate for poor shielding in the cable.
I have and use high bandwidth USB cables, no issues with USB 2 or 3. I would definitely get good new USB 3/hig bandwth cables, should solve your problems. :mrgreen:

uhm... please let me know why i need to use a usb 3.0 cable on 2.0 device? usb 3.0 shouldn't be compatible in all to usb 2.0?
if i can't use 2.0 cable like i can do with printer, scanner, many usb 2.0 device, webcam, and more... why usb 3.0 cable have same port? is a industry mistake that i'm compatible with usb 2.0 device, but only with usb 3.0 cable (that i cannot use in their high bandwidth be cause i connect to 2.0 device).

i just aware that there are many troubles between hard disk and many motherboard due the chipset incompatibility between hd controllers and motherboard controllers, but no one talk me about i must use usb 3.0 cable only.

if is this the problem, i'm happy to solve in that way, but i'm afraid again about usb3.0 lack of quality in the standard.

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Carlo, you can use USB3 cable that has a USB 3 on one (computer) end and either a USB 2 c or c connector on the other end. You were complaining you could not use a USB3 computer to update your camera or VA4K, Whichmhavema USB c or b port. BM Devices are very picky about cables, I tried using a lower bandwidth cable, and it did not work with my IMac, changed to a new cable, worked without issue to update my VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 am

Here too.. No problems with USB 3 ports to update BMD gear..

Have a HP Elitebook and Asus laptop.. Both handle BMD gear with USB2 without a problem..

Have updated VA, Atem mixers, video hubs, Micro Studio cams, mini converters... ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Here too.. No problems with USB 3 ports to update BMD gear..

Have a HP Elitebook and Asus laptop.. Both handle BMD gear with USB2 without a problem..

Have updated VA, Atem mixers, video hubs, Micro Studio cams, mini converters... ;)

i have hp elitebook 8540w, with usb 2.0 cable not work on usb 3.0 port, but work on usb 2.0 port.
actually i bought three different brand usb 3.0 and only one work for update or connection with bmd product. i understand, like in many other situation, that quality cable could be different but not everythings are affected.

Return to Getting Started