Canon 5D look LUT or color match ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Pages

Canon 5D look LUT or color match ?

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi

I love my new Sony A6000 but i miss the Canon colors. I'm trying to bring the Canon 5D colors to my A6000, so i've download a Canon 5D raw file with a color checker on it (from DPREVIEW).

So i have this node with the Canon 5D ColorMatch on it, i was thinking of "inverting" it and applying it to my A6000 footage, to bring the Canon look. Sadly i can't, or i don't know how to do... Is there any way to do this ?

Maybe there are Canon 5D luts somewhere ? It might seem weird to be looking for this, but i like the Canon natural colors, most Luts are too "hollywood" or "retro" for me...

Thanks for any help !

JosephSlomka

Re: Canon 5D look LUT or color match ?

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 pm

There are plenty of ways to do this. All of the best ones are complicated. There is likely a tool that will do that automatically if you can have the same shotshot from 2 cameras.

If you can get a shot of a color checker with your a6000 and with a canon you want to emulate the look of you can make this as a simple color correction.

Shoot the same color checker locked off with the a6000 and canon of your choice. Shoot -3 stops normal and +3 stops

1st step is to create a curve in resolve so that the tonal ranges of the greys matches up so that 1 curve makes all of the greys close.

2nd look at the RGBCMY patches and rotate the hue so that the hues line up on the normal exposure on a vector scope

3 adjust the saturation so that the normal exposures RGBCMY saturations line up in a vector scope.

That should get you quickly in the ballpark to match the look of the Canon with a Sony camera. You can keep it as nodes or bake that all together as a lut. You can get much more complicated and get better matches, but this route puts you in control and lets you dial in more or less of any part as you need it.

Robert Pages

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Thank you !

I’m new to Resolve and coloring in general… I don't have both cameras, i actually had a Canon 600D, but i'm using the RAW studio sample scene from DPREVIEW dot com. It's all i have, i don't own a color checker myself.

Here are both Color Checkers files if anyone wants to help.

I'm not sure i'll be able to achieve what you're saying but i'll try my best.

Thanks again
Attachments
CC-SonyA6000-small.tif
Sony A6000 color checker
CC-SonyA6000-small.tif (460.87 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
CC-Canon5Dmk4-small.tif
Canon 5D mk4 color checker
CC-Canon5Dmk4-small.tif (560.56 KiB) Viewed 1953 times

Robert Pages

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 7:03 am

I managed to get close but i don't understand what is that distortion on the Sony in the magenta and blue branches... it's hard to correct. Maybe that's why the Sony looks cold.
Here are the vectorscopes of the ungraded pictures
Attachments
canon.png
Canon
canon.png (25 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
sony.png
Sony
sony.png (25.87 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve