Segmenting RAW media issue , Ursa Mini 4k EF

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Zac Gaetano

Segmenting RAW media issue , Ursa Mini 4k EF

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Alright this is getting really frustrating. After playing in the mud all day for a ad-shoot I get back and offload footage to find this mess, luckily I don't actually need audio but changing raw setting is a massive pain because the clips are segmented 30-40 times for a 8-second clip. I'm using Lexar 64gig and Transcend 128 gig. Problem happens with every card, and its always a random amount of clips that have the issue. Does anyone else have this issue ? Is it a setting thing ? should I be using dual record ?

Settings for this shoot was :

RAW 4k 59.94 FPS
RAW 4k 3:1 59.94 FPS

Normal Timeline when files are identified as .DNG

Messed up Timeline , when folders are not identified as .DNG

View of Card

roger.magnusson

Re: Segmenting RAW media issue , Ursa Mini 4k EF

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Yep, when your framerate is above 30fps and you're shooting 4K RAW, you likely need to use dual card recording.

The BMD recommended cards list only certifies 4K RAW up to 30fps.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Roger is correct and the camera manual does state that dual Card recording should be used above 30 fps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Sac, does the URSA Mini 4K firmware include the Menu Record tab option to stop recording after a dropped frame? If so and you turn that option on, it will be more evident that you are having dropped frames since the recording will cease.

Rick Lang

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Zac Gaetano wrote:Does anyone else have this issue? Is it a setting thing? Should I be using dual record?

Looks like you were dropping frames. There is information about this on page 67 of the current URSA Mini Manual.

As Rick has mentioned you might want to look into shooting dual card, especially when you are shooting Lossless RAW at 4K above 30p.

If you go to the third page of the RECORD menu there is a feature that you can switch on which is 'STOP RECORD IF CARD DROPS FRAMES'. It is a good idea to set to 'ON'. Then you can use it to test the speed of your cards easily. This is always a good idea before shooting at high data rates. The feature also makes sure you notice quickly if you are dropping frames during a production.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Shot for over 90 minutes worth of footage on Saturday. 60 fps on a 29.97 fps timeline and dual Card recording. No issue on my Wise 3400x CFast 2 cards.

Rick Lang

Michael Moore

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm

You have a Windows message with "scan and fix problems" when you copy/paste from card to computer? In this case you must to use the Clone function in Davinci Resolve.

Return to Cinematography