BLACKMAGIC POWERED THRU P-TAP ON RONIN M

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tony Perkins

BLACKMAGIC POWERED THRU P-TAP ON RONIN M

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 am

Hey,

I have the BMMCC (Micro Cinema Camera) and I get tired of replacing the Canon batteries as they drain quickly especially since I use a Metabones which draws power as well from the battery. I also have a Ronin M which has a P-TAP and USB connection on them that can power devices. After looking for an alternative solution for my battery, I saw that there is a LP-E6 battery to P-TAP converter cable which will allow my camera to be charged via Ronin M battery, which lasts for HOURS. Has anyone had any experience with using this setup? If so, how long does the battery last on the Ronin when charging the camera as well? The Amazon links dont really show any purchases so im skeptical.

https://www.amazon.com/SmallHD-Battery- ... 6+to+p-tap

(Also, I may be wrong but I read that P-TAP and D-TAP are the exact same thing. )

Thanks,

TP

Howard Roll

Re: BLACKMAGIC POWERED THRU P-TAP ON RONIN M

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 am

Doesn't work, the output voltage is too low. Try this one, I've bought three and they work fine.

Good Luck

https://www.amazon.com/GyroVu-Battery-S ... yrovu+lpe6

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 am

That is a cable setup for the SmallHD monitor, and it only outputs 6.4VDC. The Micro camera needs 7.2VDC, not sure this would work, and the dummy E6 battery dies not fit the Micro camera either. Indie Pro makes a similar LP-E6 regulated dummy battery to P/D Tap ( they are the same) that outputs 7.2 +/- 2VDC, that does work with the Micro camera, I have tested this.

Do Not get the SmallHD dummy battery/cable you referenced, it will not work. B&H also sells the IndiePro cables. Howie testedbthis and the dummy battery did not firbwithout modifying it. Also the IndiePro set up costs less, too.

A dummy battery to PTap is not going to charge the camera's batrery, it replaces the battery. You can get a IndiePro BMCC to PTap that connects to the Micro camera's DB15 break-out (Squid) cable power in plug, that will power the camera and charge a E6battery attached to the camera. Mtjis gives a fail safe, if you loose the power from the PTap, the camera's attached E6 batterynwill continue to power the camera.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tony Perkins

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Doesn't work, the output voltage is too low. Try this one, I've bought three and they work fine.

Good Luck

https://www.amazon.com/GyroVu-Battery-S ... yrovu+lpe6

Cool ! So it does power the BMMCC with the Ronin's battery. Wow ! Since the BMMCC is now drawing power from the Ronin M, does it decrease the Ronin's operating time substantially?

Tony Perkins

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Denny Smith wrote:That is a cable setup for the SmallHD monitor, and it only outputs 6.4VDC. The Micro camera needs 7.2VDC, not sure this would work, and the dummy E6 battery dies not fit the Micro camera either. Indie Pro makes a similar LP-E6 regulated dummy battery to P/D Tap ( they are the same) that outputs 7.2 +/- 2VDC, that does work with the Micro camera, I have tested this.

Do Not get the SmallHD dummy battery/cable you referenced, it will not work. B&H also sells the IndiePro cables. Howie testedbthis and the dummy battery did not firbwithout modifying it. Also the IndiePro set up costs less, too.

A dummy battery to PTap is not going to charge the camera's batrery, it replaces the battery. You can get a IndiePro BMCC to PTap that connects to the Micro camera's DB15 break-out (Squid) cable power in plug, that will power the camera and charge a E6battery attached to the camera. Mtjis gives a fail safe, if you loose the power from the PTap, the camera's attached E6 batterynwill continue to power the camera.
Cheers.

Not looking to particularly charge the BMMCC's battery. I only want the BMMCC to be operable via Ronin battery. I want to use the batteries as a 2nd option being that I have to swtich them out so often.

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Yes, should work, but this will reduce the total operating time for the Ronin. You will need to try it and work out how much shorter the run time will be. You mentioned charging the camera battery, I just gave you the options. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tony Perkins

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, should work, but this will reduce the total operating time for the Ronin. You will need to try it and work out how much shorter the run time will be. You mentioned charging the camera battery, I just gave you the options. :mrgreen:
Cheers

Oh I did say "charge" didnt I? lol....my apologies. But this has helped me. Ive ordered one, waiting on it to come tomorrow so I can test it out. Thanks !

Timothy Cook

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Yes, you can run the micro from the D-Tap/P-Tap.

You will need the a 12V to D-Tap cable. A way to plug the 12V into the Micro, either the stock connector with all the other connectors hanging off, or the CG Micro Connector Box like I have pictured. http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?1 ... nput/page9
There are two versions of these, one that comes with and works with the original CG controller (minus the LANC connection), and one that comes separate and has a LANC connection port.
I have the version with the LANC plug so I can use the Lanparte trigger for hitting record without removing my hands from the Ronin grips. So in Love!

Micro and Ronin.jpg
Micro and Ronin.jpg (951.94 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Tommaso Alvisi

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:09 pm

great!

how connect the strap to the 1/4 20 thread on the back of the lanc trigger box?

Timothy Cook

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Tommaso Alvisi wrote:great!

how connect the strap to the 1/4 20 thread on the back of the lanc trigger box?

I use a Wooden Camera shoe mount, that I had laying around. The strap happen to be the exact width of the shoe mount track, and is fairly rigged so it slide through and stays in the track.
To add to it's security, the WC mount has a stop located in the track, which happens to be a small Allen screw.
All I did is screw the bolt through the Velcro strip while adding a small washer.

So far it works perfect, and it allows me to do quick changes of the trigger when necessary.

Lanparte2.jpg
Lanparte2.jpg (871.67 KiB) Viewed 2775 times

Lanparte1.jpg
Lanparte1.jpg (960.41 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Return to Cinematography