Editing question: slip in and out point with snap

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Arnold

Editing question: slip in and out point with snap

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:10 am

In general, I use Resolve for color grading, not editing, but I often need to fix things that get broken in the XML import. A thing I frequently need to do that I haven't found a solid way to do is this:

Clip A is on the timeline, is the correct length, and has all of the right attributes, but its start timecode is wrong (i.e. it's the wrong part of the clip). From my days editing in FCP7, my impulse is to make sure snapping is turned on, double-click the clip to load it into the viewer, type the correct start timecode in to put the viewer playhead at the right in-point, and shift-drag the in point and outpoint together to the new in-point. This almost works, except that snapping doesn't seem to happen in the viewer.

Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?

Thanks!

John Paines

Re: Editing question: slip in and out point with snap

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:29 am

It's a bit awkward, but if you put a marker in the source viewer at what should be the starting timecode, you can go back into the timeline and slip the clip there, snapping to the just added marker.

Robert Arnold

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:05 am

Is there really no better way to do this?

Craig Marshall

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 am

Robert Arnold wrote:Is there really no better way to do this?

Not that I've found and why I prefer Lightworks 'Edit Trim' features - simply class leading but like you, I often need to trim a clip in Resolve post AAF/XML import. It's getting better but it's not there yet...
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 am

If u double click a timeline clip it's placed in the source viewer, adjust the in/out point and see the timeline clip change in real time. Use pointer or trim mode as you need. Does this not solve your problem?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Craig Marshall

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:09 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If u double click a timeline clip it's placed in the source viewer, adjust the in/out point and see the timeline clip change in real time. Use pointer or trim mode as you need. Does this not solve your problem?

That's a good start Peter but have you tried that with any USB Jog/Shuttle device such as the Contour or X-Keys? If the picture in Source Viewer could 'spool' back and forth in real time with zero lag as it can in LW, then that would be a very good thing...
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

John Paines

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:35 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If u double click a timeline clip it's placed in the source viewer, adjust the in/out point and see the timeline clip change in real time. Use pointer or trim mode as you need. Does this not solve your problem?

If I understood correctly, he's looking for snapping in the source viewer, to make slipping to a given cursor position easier.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 am

John-With the clip in source viewer, type the TC desired for the in point and then select I to move the in. No need to snap. Or have I misunderstood?

Craig-Not used that controller but understand what you are looking for.

John Paines

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm

The difficulty is, if you're slipping the clip (in Trim mode) in the source viewer, you have to shift-drag the in or out point (or use "," or "."). Changing the in point alone will change the duration of the clip, no?

I think what the OP wanted was for the shift-drag operation to snap to the cursor position.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Ok, now I see the approach. For now, try the scrub tool on the source viewer control bar.

Sam Steti

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Well, I'm interested in understanding what my crappy english probably prevented me to, this time :? ... After years and years on FCP7, I'm also trying to find strong habits in Resolve as well, and why not get rid of FCP7.
Now, I didn't get what "snapping" referred to (sorry) : I do the same as the OP up to I & O points in the viewer, than either I replaced the TL clip at the TL I point (overwrite here), or use sort of match frame to reach my goal and wipe what should be next...

I'll check later on

Edit : ah ok... Reading it is the very useful "n" function here, I can now also understand the reference to shift key to ensure you won't make a mistake...
Therefore yes, this was really more pleasant in FCP7, but I'm almost used to this very regression in Resolve now :)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Robert Arnold

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Ok, now I see the approach. For now, try the scrub tool on the source viewer control bar.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Return to DaVinci Resolve