Hyperdeck Shuttle and it's uses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Merticgoren

Hyperdeck Shuttle and it's uses

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am

I have a SmallHD DP6 monitor. It only has HDMI though.

Does anybody know if I can use the Hyperdeck shuttle as a converter as well to connect my HDMI only monitor to the BMCC ?

I couldn't decice between selling my DP6 monitor and getting a new one or buying a hyperdeck shuttle, since I also have a MARK III and I can use it to record prores when Canon comes out with the new firmware..

Thanks !

Darryl Gregory

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle and it's uses

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

Check out the BMD Mini Converters, SDI to HDMI for the DP6

The Hyperdeck should work well for recording the (If it ever happens) clean HDMI out from the MKIII
But only time will tell, This question needs beta testers.

Cheers

Merticgoren

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

What exactly is the difference between BMD Mini Converter and the Battery converter ?

I've also looked into the Atomos S2H Connect converters but seems like The Battery Converter is the best option right now. The Atomos S2H only accepts Sony NP batteries and my whole system is built on the Canon world.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm

you know what?? I have know Idea, But be sure you get what works for you at the best price,
And check for any Lag with these converters, I hear some of them can have serious lag.

adamroberts

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:24 pm

• Mini Converter needs a 12v power supply. This could come from a v-mount battery system on you rig.
• Battery Converter includes a rechargeable battery that lasts about 2hrs. It can also be powered by a 12-30v power supply like the BMCC.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Merticgoren wrote:I have a SmallHD DP6 monitor. It only has HDMI though.

Does anybody know if I can use the Hyperdeck shuttle as a converter as well to connect my HDMI only monitor to the BMCC ? ...

I use a HdS (version 1) to convert the BMCC's 1080p HD-SDI out to HDMI for use with a variety of monitors. The HdS also converts HDMI to HD-SDI.

In my limited testing most monitors & HDTVs are compatible with the BMCC's 1080p signal, which is progressive only (not PsF or interlaced), but there have been reports of a few display devices which are not. Check the specs for your display device. I've seen at least one report of a display device firmware update which enabled compatibility with 1080p. YMMV.

The HdS version 2 can record 1080p as uncompressed, ProRes or DNxHD video. If the BMCC is running firmware v.1.2, the camera's record start/stop feature will start/stop an external HD-SDI video recorder, too. I've recently tested this informally with the HdS, Atomos Samurai, Convergent Gemini, and AJA KiPro Mini. For example, some users will record RAW CinemaDNG in-camera while recording compressed 1080p on an external recorder.

Cheers.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 8:24 pm

I use the hyperdeck shuttle as an HDMI convertor for the DP6 (and if appropriate to simultaneously record raw on camera and prores on the shuttle - straight to edit with prores and grade the raws - the bmcc will trigger start/stop recording on the shuttle!!). We also have 2 5Dmk3's and it would be great if the April firmware makes it worthwhile to record to the shuttle from the canon. I have a switronix battery to power both camera and shuttle, but i really like that both camera and shuttle have an internal battery as well.

Lag with shuttle to DP6 is acceptable for me, but to the Zacuto EVF is more:

• BMCC - 1 frame
• SmallHD DP6 - 2 total (1 from BMCC)
• Zacuto EVF - 3~4 total (3 from BMCC)

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Merticgoren

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 am

Is the Hyperdeck Shuttle crazy heavy ? I'm going back and forth between the mini converter/battery converter and the HdS.

I would wanna use it on a shoulder rig for handheld work..

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 am

Merticgoren wrote:Is the Hyperdeck Shuttle crazy heavy ? I'm going back and forth between the mini converter/battery converter and the HdS. I would wanna use it on a shoulder rig for handheld work..

A HdS weighs about 1.33 pounds including a SSD. Without a SSD it weighs about 3 ounces less.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 am

I have the hyperdeck shuttle 2 mounted to one side of a zacuto zwiss plate, and on the other side is the switronix battery. They sit at the back of my shoulder rig and work pretty well as counter balance. I was counting on the weight for this.. i'll take a picture of my current rig in a few moments and post so you get a better idea.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 am

I just went outside and took some photos of my rig..

You can see the shuttle and switronix mounted at the back with the zacuto plate:

The rig is actually pretty well balanced, i think i could improve it by getting the BMCC further back onto my shoulder. The only piece in this rig that isn't mine is the actual shoulder pad (shoot35) which i'm borrowing from a friend, i tested his shape shoulder pad too which allows the BMCC to sit more on the shoulder so i may go for that.

I've also used a redrock offset at the front to get the zacuto grips more central to my body which makes operating much more comfortable for me:

Dennis Nomer

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 am

The Hyperdeck shuttle is not so heavy, but the steel mounting plate that BMD makes for it is rather heavy. The Hyperdeck Shuttle itself is rather shy of mounting options without the mounting plate. And you won't want to go drilling and tapping into it, for fear of hitting something important!
Dennis Nomer

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 4:20 am

I got the mounting plate as well to attach to the zacuto plate.. i forgot to mention that!

Andreas35

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 pm

I am very satisfied with Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, i have the Zacuto mounting plate and use Sony PMW-F3. A good option. Only disadvantage, the shuttle no has headphone output.

Andrew
http://www.onfootage.com
Attachments
blackmagicshuttle.jpg
Zacuto mounting plate with HyperDeck Shuttle 2
blackmagicshuttle.jpg (114.34 KiB) Viewed 5355 times

ChrisBarcellos

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 am

I have tried to use the Shuttle Hyperdeck 2 with my new BMCC to act as HDMI convertor to my Marshall HDMI monitor. I have monitored from the Shuttle before on an HDMI feed to the Shuttle.

I bought a Laird Red One Camera 3GSDI NIN 1.0/2.3 to BNC Male adapter, but after hooking it up and turning on camera and Shuttle, the video input like on the Shuttle does not light. My Marshal reports there is no signal.

Am I using wrong cable ? Anyone successfull at this ?

ChrisBarcellos

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 am

Follow up. I have now gotten this to work. It appears that prior owner of the Hyperdeck may have bent the center contact on Hyperdeck connection. After straightening that out, I now can confirm that my set up indeed sends video out as follows:

Camera to Shuttle via 3GSDI din 1.0/2.3 to BNC Male cable
Video to Marshall monitor via the HDMI output on shuttle.

Thanks for you time in looking at this and hope this definitely confirms it all for anyone still looking.

sambak

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 pm

i have a cheap 7 inch monitor with no name!!
it's cheap but i got it free with one of the Chinese rigs i bought recently.
So my question is; will this setup work with this sort of low quality monitor? which otherwise is useless for me, and i wanna make some use of it if it works in the following formation:

Video source: Blackmagic Cinema Camera

As SDI to HDMI converter: HyperDeck Shuttle2

For HDMI monitoring: 7" HDMI Monitor (Cheap and China made)

thanx

sambak

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 5:20 pm

My hyperdeck shuttle 2 though recording fine from either a dslr or bmcc input BUT i am not being able to display the image on a 7 inch external monitor (800x480 resolution).

Canon 550d+Hyperdeck+7 inch monitor= working fine (recording and displaying image)
BMCC+hyperdeck+7 inch monitor= recording but no image on display monitor rather a green tint fills the whole screen.

I heard hyperdeck shuttle only supports yuv color but its wrong my dslr and Bmcc both output RGB color, and hyperdeck certainly recording the input from both the cameras but showing no display when bmcc is connected to it.

(Is it a resolution problem of my monitor (800x480)?

(just to add a little more to it, my DSLR canon 550d only outputs 800x480 image with overlays while bmcc outputs 1920x1080 with or without overlays.)

can anybody shed some light??

thanx

Return to Cinematography