Why Resolve can't export to mp4 container?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JPOwens

Re: Why Resolve can't export to mp4 container?

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 4:43 pm

If anyone is still interested:

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... qtff1.html

The Quicktime framework itself dates from around 1991, so probably much older than many (but not all) of this forum's subscribers, thus explaining its mysterious nascence.

jPo, CSI

Mark Sterne

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 8:20 pm

JPOwens wrote:If anyone is still interested:

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... qtff1.html

The Quicktime framework itself dates from around 1991, so probably much older than many (but not all) of this forum's subscribers, thus explaining its mysterious nascence.

jPo, CSI

At first I read that as "mysterious nastiness".

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Best would be to abandon old specs (done during analog age) and come up with even "better" than YUV color model, like YCgCo which can be losslessly converted to and from RGB (and in the same time it's compression friendly, not like RGB).

That would be ideal, but I hear the ghost of NTSC rattling its chains... moaning "backwards compatibility"... :twisted:

Martin Schitter

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 8:25 pm

JPOwens wrote:The Quicktime framework itself dates from around 1991, so probably much older than many (but not all) of this forum's subscribers, thus explaining its mysterious nascence.

yes - that's true. but andrew was almost right, because accurate and exhaustive specifications were not always available while drifting on the ice floe[s]. ;)

tracygreen201503

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 am

I have the same problems, thanks for sharing.

Al Spaeth

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 am

For those of us "non-professionals" wanting h.264 mp4 export, I currently export using Resolve's QT h.264 MOV and then use VLC to simply "re-wrap" the container to mp4.
A word of caution - Resolve's h.264 encoding currently has some quality issues covered in another thread "Poor H264 encoding quality in DaVinci" so I now render to DNxHR HQX and Encode to mp4 using x264 as suggested in that thread.

I guess the question is not "Why Resolve can't export to mp4 container?" but rather why doesn't it export mp4? Every other NLE I've ever seen and used can and does. h.264 mp4 is probably the most popular codec used today and compatible with all media players, tvs etc. One of Resolve's biggest shortcomings is it's limited import and export formats when compared to NLEs like Adobe and others.
Using ffmpeg and other third party software should not be necessary in the "world's best edit software".
Just my "two cents"
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve