MultiDock Simultaneous PC/Mac Access

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Brian Poe

MultiDock Simultaneous PC/Mac Access

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 pm

I am contemplating the purchase of a MultiDock and notice that it has two Thunderbolt ports. Can I connect both a PC and Mac computer simultaneously? Can both access the drives simultaneously or would only one unit at a time? Do the drives need to be formatted in a specific manner to be accessible to both? Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: MultiDock Simultaneous PC/Mac Access

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am

It is a link trough to connect some other thunderbolt device.

If you connect 2 machines to it you will probabbly blow your ports.. Or get serious issues..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Colin Barrett

Re: MultiDock Simultaneous PC/Mac Access

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 am

Brian Poe wrote:I am contemplating the purchase of a MultiDock and notice that it has two Thunderbolt ports. Can I connect both a PC and Mac computer simultaneously? Can both access the drives simultaneously or would only one unit at a time? Do the drives need to be formatted in a specific manner to be accessible to both?

I also have a MultiDock, but I wouldn't dream of connecting it to two separate devices. It might even invalidate any warranty!

The two Thunderbolt ports are there for daisy-chaining Thunderbolt connected devices, not for serving two separate computers. If you need to share storage, consider buying a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive system instead.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Getting Started