Media not visable Resolve 12.5.5 WIndows

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Adrian Sancho

Media not visable Resolve 12.5.5 WIndows

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:29 am

I just installed this program, and media files do not appear in folders when trying to import them. A search around the web shows that A) this has been a common problem with Resolve for several versions now (both on Macs and PCs) and B) I did not find a resolution to this issue.

So, what's the deal?

My system setup is as follows:
Win 7 SP1
Intel i7-4790K Standard clock speed
Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF motherboard
32 gigs Crucial DDR3 ram
nVidia Geforce 970 GPU 4 gig
SanDisk 960 gig SSD system drive
OCZ 100 gig SSD scratch disc
Hitachi 4 TB mechanical data drive

Thanks for any info on this.

Adrian Sancho

Re: MEDIA NOT VISIBLE RESOLVE 12.5.5 WINDOWS

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 am

Just bumping this because there was a delay in posting. Any help with this issue will be appreciated, thanks.

Chip.Murphy

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 7:35 pm

What codec and container is the footage in?

Also, 12.5.5 has minimum Windows OS of 8.1, so your windows 7 install is outside of Resolve's minimum system requirements
Last edited by Chip.Murphy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan Worsley

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm running Resolve 12.5.5 on Windows 7 x64 without issues. I think it is more likely an issue of codec/container acceptability.

Adrian Sancho

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks for your replies. I've tried some test footage now from 3 different sources, a GoPro-type SJ4000 running h264&32k audio, a Panasonic GM5 running h264&48k audio, and some old SD MPEG-2/48k footage.

Resolve can see the drive and the folders the media is in, but shows the folders as empty. Searching around the web shows this to be a longstanding issue with Resolve on both Macs and PCs, so I find it baffling that the issue persists. I assume there has to be a solution.

Thanks for any help with this.

Chip.Murphy

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 am

Adrian Sancho wrote:Thanks for your replies. I've tried some test footage now from 3 different sources, a GoPro-type SJ4000 running h264&32k audio, a Panasonic GM5 running h264&48k audio, and some old SD MPEG-2/48k footage.

Resolve can see the drive and the folders the media is in, but shows the folders as empty. Searching around the web shows this to be a longstanding issue with Resolve on both Macs and PCs, so I find it baffling that the issue persists. I assume there has to be a solution.

GM5 10 bit files are only supported in Resolve Studio 12.5.5

I bet the H264 footage is some funky flavor and Resolve probably doesn't support the mpeg2 stuff. Try transcoding it to Cineform, dnxhr, etc in another program.

Paul Provost

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 am

Got any RED, Alexa, Sony, prores?
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 am

The culprit is W7 for the h.264 issue
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Bryan Worsley

Re: Media not visable Resolve 12.5.5 WIndows

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Ah, that would explain why I was unable to import some sample GH5 10-bit 422 clips then:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=57216&p=329394#p329394

Maybe time to have another go at the Win 10 upgrade then. I rolled back to Win 7 (x64) last time because of NAS access issues.

I wonder, is this also why I am unable to import lossless 10-bit Intra Hi444PP files encoded with libx264 (10-bit) or is that something different ?

John Paines

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:Ah, that would explain why I was unable to import some sample GH5 10-bit 422 clips

Okay, after some digging: Resolve, or at least the free version, evidently doesn't support GH5 files:

viewtopic.php?t=55098

It's a long thread full of digressions, but ends with Rohit Gupta, who ought to know: "This is supported in 12.5.5. Only in the Studio version".

Bryan Worsley

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 pm

I can't help but wonder - why only the Studio version ?

Even open-source ffmpeg-based linux editors like KDenLive can import these files.

Adrian Sancho

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 am

"The culprit is W7 for the h.264 issue."

I believe the correct answer is "the culprit is Resolve, which in Win 7 is completely unusable". Every other application in my system, Premiere, AFX, even open source apps like Blender, can see them perfectly.

So therefore so much for trying to use Resolve. Too bad, it looked like a cool app.

Chip.Murphy

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 am

Adrian Sancho wrote:"The culprit is W7 for the h.264 issue."

I believe the correct answer is "the culprit is Resolve, which in Win 7 is completely unusable". Every other application in my system, Premiere, AFX, even open source apps like Blender, can see them perfectly.

So therefore so much for trying to use Resolve. Too bad, it looked like a cool app.

Really? Blackmagic clearly states Windows 8.1 as minimum OS for Resolve.

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Adrian Sancho wrote:"The culprit is W7 for the h.264 issue."

Bear in mind though that, "Windows OS factor" aside, it's not exactly in BM's interest to provide free native support for a camera (i.e. GH5) with capabilities that clearly poses a serious threat to their own line of compact 4K Production Cameras. Which makes me wonder if this 'Studio version only' support is primarily, if not purely a business decision.

By contrast, it is clearly in Adobe's interest to provide native support for this camera.
Last edited by Bryan Worsley on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Don't think that's quite fair. Resolve has never been marketed as an "edit anything" NLE. And whatever the source, you'll still need to transcode h.264 material if you intend to do any real editing in Resolve. It's nothing to boast of, but GH5 footage is not the only h.264 source material which the system can't read.

The Win7 limitation seems less clear. That issue might be clarified, as many of us are still using that OS, officially supported or not.

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

John Paines wrote:Don't think that's quite fair. Resolve has never been marketed as an "edit anything" NLE. And whatever the source, you'll still need to transcode h.264 material if you intend to do any real editing in Resolve. It's nothing to boast of, but GH5 footage is not the only h.264 source material which the system can't read.

True, but if you can't import the files, you can't transcode them with the internal transcode function either and so have to resort to alternative methods - ffmpeg being one, but not everyone wants to get into that - although I expect we will see yet another wave of ffmpeg front-end video converters, or the same ones, this time promoting conversion of GH5 10-bit 4K footage into a format that Resolve will import; likely ProRes since DNxHR HQX and 444 encoding are not yet implemented in ffmpeg - at least not Zeranoe's Windows builds.

And not everyone has other NLE's able to import these files that could be used to generate the transcodes, at least not without breaking the 10-bit chain. I don't think Magix Vegas Pro 14 supports these files (yet) does it ? I mentioned KDenLive there, but whilst it can import and export 10-bit formats, it processes in 8-bit only.

My point is, why else would native support for these 10-bit 422 GH5 files be limited to the Studio version only? Perhaps the BM staff could clarify this point. Is there intent to extend this to the free version in due course, and if not, why? At least people seriously considering the GH5 would know where they stand.

John Paines wrote:The Win7 limitation seems less clear. That issue might be clarified, as many of us are still using that OS, officially supported or not.

Hope so too. As a case in point:

Bryan Worsley wrote:I wonder, is this also why I am unable to import lossless 10-bit Intra Hi444PP files encoded with libx264 (10-bit) or is that something different ?

Adrian Sancho

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:38 am

"Really? Blackmagic clearly states Windows 8.1 as minimum OS for Resolve."

This issue dates back to many previous versions on Resolve, on both Mac and PCs with various incarnations of their OS's. Google it. Never found a clear-cut resolution for any of them either. The problem is Resolve, not Win 7. Too bad, looks like a cool app.

Bryan Worsley

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:28 pm

I've just realized that Adrian was originally referring to Panasonic DMC-GM5 footage, not the GH5 10-bit 422 files discussed in that thread Chip linked to.

Chip.Murphy wrote:
Adrian Sancho wrote:Thanks for your replies. I've tried some test footage now from 3 different sources, a GoPro-type SJ4000 running h264&32k audio, a Panasonic GM5 running h264&48k audio, and some old SD MPEG-2/48k footage.

GM5 10 bit files are only supported in Resolve Studio 12.5.5

I bet the H264 footage is some funky flavor and Resolve probably doesn't support the mpeg2 stuff. Try transcoding it to Cineform, dnxhr, etc in another program.

The GM5 records AVCHD and I've just tested some native 1080/50p.mts clips that I sourced from a CameraLabs (Gordon Laing's) review:

https://www.cameralabs.com/panasonic_lumix_gm5/

Always a good place to look for native video samples.

On my system (Win7 x64) Resolve 12.5.5 does import the video component (AVC High@L4.2, 8-bit 4:2:0) of these files, but not the AC3 audio, which is not supported due to Dolby licensing issues......that I do know, at least. Whereas some archived 1080/30PF.mts (AVC High@L4, 8-bit 4:2:0, AC3) clips from my old Canon HF-G10 are not imported at all - although I recall that when I first tested an early beta version of Resolve 12.5, the video stream was imported from these files.

On the other hand, I can (thankfully) import 1080/30p (AVC High@L4.1/AAC) and 1080/60p (AVC High@L4.2/AAC) mp4 clips from my Canon HF-G30 without any issues, as also the UHD 60p.mp4 (High@L4.2 8-bit 4:2:0, PCM) clips in that set of GH5 sample clips from Neumannfilms. It's the 10-bit 4:2:2 GH5 files that are the issue. Yet I can import several sample 10-bit UHD 25p XAVC.mxf files (ca.230Mbps, High 4:2:2 Intra@L5.1, PCM) encoded with Adobe Media Encoder that I have to hand. So what gives ?

Again, I would really appreciate if someone from the BM team could explain what makes these GH5 files so funky that they are only supported in the Studio version of Resolve, if that is indeed the case.

Incidentally, I've just been running a trial of Pegasys Mastering Works 6 and it imports those UHD 10-bit 4:2:2 GH5 clips perfectly well. Yet Resolve 12.5.5 (on my system) will not import any of the 10-bit 4:2:2 (Intra@L5) or High 4:4:4 Predictive (Intra@L5) export formats. Mastering Works 6 uses (licensed) x264 encoding, by the way.

As for your dilemma with your Panasonic GM5 AVCHD (as assumed) files though Adrian; whilst searching the forum on the subject of H264 support, I came across this statement made by Rohit Gupta from Resolve Software development:

Rohit Gupta wrote:Windows 7 is not supported, but if you really want to try to use it, install the Windows patch for H264:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2670838

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52934&p=305401&hilit=Windows7+update#p305494

Reading that, I of course checked to see whether I have that Win7 update installed, and I do. You might want to check that also, if you haven't already. Just a thought.

Adrian Sancho

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:14 am

Actually, although you're correct that the GM5 records in that format, my GM5 is set to MP4, not AVCHD. Furthermore, the other formats it didn't see was standard definition MPEG 2, as well as another h264 variant. It simply doesn't see ANY video format. Every single other program in my system can see these files, ONLY Resolve can't see them. Below are the test formats I was using. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this has been an ongoing issue with Resolve for several generations, on several OS versions, on both Macs and PCs. I don't understand why they keep dropping the ball on this.

Paul Provost

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:52 am

Really? It doesn't see ANY video format? None? I never realized that.
Man how in the hell have I been using it the last 5 years? Must have been my imagination.

Standard def mpeg2 stream? Seriously? Got any cinepak qt it won't play either?
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 am

I'm sorry, but Resolve is not for you!

Resolve is a professional high-end color grading system with a quite decent editor attached by now.

H.264, even if it can support 10 bit 422 intra-frame, was never intended as a professional recording format in it's 8 bit 4:2:0 inter-frame versions. That's a format for distribution and amateur cameras. Such very limited and highly compressed formats fall quickly apart if you try to do any serious grading. Why in the world should BM put any serious effort into a format that can only give them a bad reputation if you try to grade it?

So, instead of programming their own stuff, they rely on system resources for H.264 which are simply not there in a regular W7 installation. Install the extra resources which have been mentioned here in the forum again and again or upgrade Windows.

Resolve reads stuff from professional RED, Arri or Sony cameras just fine for me, but if you insist on using low-end footage, just transcode. Programs like Convert 4 should help you.

But if you don't like it, use Premiere Pro, which eats nearly any crap you throw at it. Don't forget to pay regular fees, though, since they take your work hostage. Once you stop paying, all of your old projects don't open any more…

Or have a look at Lightworks and see what it can do for you.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:16 am

Paul Provost wrote:Really? It doesn't see ANY video format? None? I never realized that.
Man how in the hell have I been using it the last 5 years? Must have been my imagination.

Standard def mpeg2 stream? Seriously? Got any cinepak qt it won't play either?

Actually I just pulled up some archived (HDV) MPEG-2 clips from a Canon HV30 (the original .m2t clips remuxed to .mpg) and Resolve 12.5.5 wouldn't see them either. Tried remuxing to .m2t, .ts and .mpeg and demuxing to the elementary streams m2v/mp2, but no joy.

But I do have some native Sony XDCAM HD35.mxf clips and Resolve imports those just fine.

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'm sorry, but Resolve is not for you!

Who are you referring to by that?

Jean Claude

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:

Maybe refer to this document for formats in Davinci Resolve?

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... c_List.pdf
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Jean Claude wrote:
Bryan Worsley wrote:

Maybe refer to this document for formats in Davinci Resolve?

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... c_List.pdf

Thanks, but I was asking who Uli was referring to specifically.

I transcode all of my 8-bit 4:2:0 H264 material (to DNxHD to Cineform, depending on the workflow) so he's preaching to the converted (sic) there; and for that I prefer to use Resolve's internal transcode function, in part for the convenience, but also because it allows the Data Level (Full or Video) to be confirmed in the conversion and respected on the timeline; which is not always the case when converting by other means, ffmpeg especially.

And it is for that reason, primarily, that I am interested to know whether these GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 files can be imported into the free version of Resolve, if needs be by upgrading to Windows 10, or whether that statement referred to earlier is correct and this is/will only be supported in the Studio version. Since the existing supported codec list does not cite this particular native format, it's a reasonable question to ask of those that are in a position to give a definitive answer. That's all really.

Jean Claude

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I do not have the free version. I can only advise you to do a little roof test even from your sources and see what is the best workflow. Sorry.
Or install (Gopro) Cineform pack and test 10 bits output ?
Or test Blackmagick codec 10 Bits but warning : big big file generated...
Or install Grass Valley codec => HQX ?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Uli Plank wrote:..
......but if you insist on using low-end footage, just transcode. Programs like Convert 4 should help you.

I checked out Convert V4, by the way. Despite the aesthetic, pro-feel web page, it's nothing special and is pretty much on par with the the many other ffmpeg front-end converters out there in terms of the available target formats, and offers comparatively little in the way of configurable options. Well there's ProRes, including 444 HQ, at least, but no DNxHR HQX or 444 - not surprising given that they are not implemented in ffmpeg yet. The H264 High 422 and 444 formats are 8-bit only and Resolve won't import them anyway.

One bugbear I have with many of these easy (preset) ffmpeg converters though is that they compress full range luma (0-255) sources to limited (16-235) range. That happens with DNxHD and ProRes because ffmpeg (swscale) doesn't permit the full range pix_fmt designations - yuvj422p10le (10-bit) and yuvj422p (8bit) - to be set for these formats. But it could be avoided with H264 because libx264 does respect the respective 422 and 420 full range pix_fmt encode designations, when specified. Unfortunately however, Convert V4 makes no provision for that, despite declaring the luma range of the source material (as determined by FFProbe). Not very intelligent.

That's why when transcoding native full-swing 4:2:0 H264 sources with ffmpeg, I prefer to use the command line to make sure it's done correctly; even for DNxHD or ProRes transcodes there are ways (using -vf filters) to pass-through and preserve full luma range. But with native 4:2:2 source formats that, to my knowledge, is not possible with ffmpeg directly Edit: although maybe via VapourSynth with VSPipe, but that's rather convoluted.

So again, a prime reason why I have a keen interest in knowing whether these GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 can be imported by Resolve (free) or not.
Last edited by Bryan Worsley on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bryan Worsley

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 am

Bryan Worsley wrote:And it is for that reason, primarily, that I am interested to know whether these GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 files can be imported into the free version of Resolve, if needs be by upgrading to Windows 10, or whether that statement referred to earlier is correct and this is/will only be supported in the Studio version. Since the existing supported codec list does not cite this particular native format, it's a reasonable question to ask of those that are in a position to give a definitive answer. That's all really.

Well, I've upgraded to Windows 10 and done a clean install and Resolve 12.5.5 (free) still won't import the GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 files. Mind you, I see that someone running the Studio version is having issues importing them also:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55098#p330974

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:50 am

Bryan Worsley wrote:
Bryan Worsley wrote:And it is for that reason, primarily, that I am interested to know whether these GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 files can be imported into the free version of Resolve, if needs be by upgrading to Windows 10, or whether that statement referred to earlier is correct and this is/will only be supported in the Studio version. Since the existing supported codec list does not cite this particular native format, it's a reasonable question to ask of those that are in a position to give a definitive answer. That's all really.

Well, I've upgraded to Windows 10 and done a clean install and Resolve 12.5.5 (free) still won't import the GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 files. Mind you, I see that someone running the Studio version is having issues importing them also:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55098#p330974

You could PM a sample to me too if you like.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Bryan Worsley

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I've been using that same set of sample GH5 clips from Neumannfilms:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55098#p316519

I don't own a GH5, but I'm considering it; hence the avid interesting in how Resolve deals with these 10-bit 422 files.

Now my post has caught your attention ;) , I leave off the subject here and watch how that other thread unfolds

Return to DaVinci Resolve