DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

manuel_songokuh

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 pm

hi

MISSED: UNINSTALLER FOR LINUX 12.5 INSTEAD FUSION HAS UNINSTALLER FOR LINUX..
thank you

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 3:20 pm

contrast and pivot could be split in RGB ones: if you gang them you will have the current behaviour.

also, if contrast is an [S curve], when I reduce the contrast it should do an inverse [S curve], not a ramp like it does not.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 2:58 am

Please let us have different waveform monitoring for broadcast range and full range.
The current situation is confusing.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am

Uli Plank wrote:Please let us have different waveform monitoring for broadcast range and full range.

+1 on that - and it goes without saying that for any given clip the respective Full or Video/Broadcast range scope set should be auto-selected according to the set Data Level, whether Auto or manually assigned.

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 am

waltervolpatto wrote:also, if contrast is an [S curve], when I reduce the contrast it should do an inverse [S curve], not a ramp like it does not.

+1 on that also.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Some form of forced audio track rendering -- this, because of drop-outs and other issues with VST plugins.

Timeline audio rendering would also be essential where latency issues arise.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 3:10 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:contrast and pivot could be split in RGB ones: if you gang them you will have the current behaviour.

+1
+ contrast /pivot hue offsets mapped to the balls
+ saturation channels / sat hue offset

Lucius Snow

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Please let us have different waveform monitoring for broadcast range and full range.

+1 too.

Also, it'd be useful to display the offline medias in grey (or another color) in the media pool. To get a simple and direct view.

Martin Schitter

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:

+1 too.

i still think, it's a bad idea!
see: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55098&start=50#p331494

waltervolpatto

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 5:19 pm

If I create a fresh new timeline with 8 tracks mono, please by default map mono 1 to mono 1, mono 2 to mono 2 and so on.

Now mono 1 goes to 1+2, mono 2 goes to 1+2 as well and so on.

W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

waltervolpatto

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Delivery page, add [hide completed jobs]. More often than not I want to keep the jobs but i need to visualize what need to be rendered, expecially if I show all the the projects

DaveKlem

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:41 am

Can we have an interface to upload crash reports. To help identify particular drivers, or system configurations that give people problems.

For example, It would be nice to pull up all crash reports for Late 2013 iMacs for Resolve version 12.5. It would be nice to compare and contrast the issues. It would also be nice if this interface transformed the gobbledygook into user-friendly information.

Thanks again!

Model: iMac14,1, BootROM IM141.0118.B14, 4 processors, Intel Core i5, 2.7 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 2.14f24
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro, Intel Iris Pro, Built-In
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x111), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.166.24.3)
Bluetooth: Version 4.3.6f4 17916, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en1
PCI Card: pci1b21,612, AHCI Controller, Thunderbolt@195,0,0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SM0256F, 251 GB
Serial ATA Device: HGST HTS721010A9E630, 1 TB
USB Device: ASMT1051
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
USB Device: iConnectMIDI1
Thunderbolt Bus: iMac, Apple Inc., 23.10
Thunderbolt Device: G-DRIVE mobile with Thunderbolt, G-Technology, 1, 7.8

waltervolpatto

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:22 pm

If I add a [input sizing] to a clip imported as [reference offline clip] it does not work.

either:

it is a bug

or

It is a feature request.

I can see the [input sizing] being active in the clip, simply does not do anything... (v15.5.4.019)

QuentinBrown

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 1:55 pm

QuentinBrown wrote:Coming at it from an on set DIT perspective:

Background rendering - The engine is essentially there for this since smart cache works as it does it just needs to be an option on the Deliver tab. This would be so helpful on jobs where you are extremely pressed for time as you can get on with importing and applying settings & metadata to the next incoming mag whilst the previous one is rendering. The option to turn it on or off will be appreciated by those who use the render stage as a final QC watching it as it goes. A pause and resume function on the render queue would also be very handy as would the ability to then re-order the items in the queue to prioritise something near the end of the queue that someone suddenly needs immediately rather then later...

Better Metadata importing / mapping Currently the clip metadata from many key high end cameras in common use is not fully imported or mapped to useful metadata fields. Arri Alexa being a prime example. I noticed fps listed without a decimal space so 24.000 fps reads as 24000! Other useful fields such as lens info just don't seem to be mapped at all. Please Blackmagic give a little love to this, it really should be very little work to build a more comprehensive table of mappings. A custom field mapping interface would also be great further down the line for csv's and ALE's and data coming from other sources than the pre-mapped cameras.

More advanced Variables On a similar theme it would be great to be able to select a limited range of characters from a variable for burn in's, file naming and metadata entry. Also to be able to apply calculations and append series. So for instance I want to use the last four characters of the file name A001C003_170326_B6FC to generate the unique camera ID field I could enter %FileName[e,1,4] with e setting it to count from the end, starting at character 1, giving me 4 digits. Similarly something like %NumSeq[4,1,13] would when applied to a number of selected clips give them a number sequence based on the current sorting in the media pool; [4 characters long, incrementing by 1, starting at 13]. And say I want to change a sequence of numbers by adding 1 to them or dividing them by a number, I'd love to have options to apply to the variables to do that.

Custom mappings in Third Party control surfaces Sure you have just released the new micro and mini panels, and they are pretty lovely, but as D.I.Ts we have to use a wide range of software like Livegrade and others and we can't use those panels for that - you have provided no SDK. We also need to keep our workstations portable and lightweight and can't easily afford to accommodate more than one panel. Our only option is to use widely supported 3rd party control panels. Give us a break and let us map them or at least update the mappings to reflect some of the thought that has been put into the micro and mini panels. Please!

LUT preview multi view This has been mentioned already I believe, but it would be great to be able to see and preview a whole bunch of LUTs at once in a grid in the viewer applied to the footage a bit like you can with a split screen of gallery grades. I have gone through folders of LUTs applying them one by one and saving stills then using the split screen/gallery grades feature to get this effect in the past but that is hugely laborious. Some way of automating it would be great - even if it's just importing a folder of LUTs to create a still gallery like you can with CDL's. Add to this then being able to click on certain screens from that split to select just those, hit a key to drill down to just those in the split, then do that again so you can drill down and choose one. It should also highlight the stills in the gallery as you select and drill down so you can see the names and which ones are selected. This would be very helpful in making a quick selection from a lot of options when standing there with the DoP on set during the few short seconds they have to come and look on a 1 day commercial shoot, and would be great with any type of gallery still. It would also be great to have this work when in Resolve Live mode so we can do it on a live image before we turn over....

Adding to this list a couple of tiny and easy to implement handy extras (I know this is way too late now for anything coming in time for NAB 2017 but fingers crossed we see these some time soon). These mainly stem from the fact that it is fairly common practise when processing media on set and transcoding for offline to create a timeline per camera roll/card. This keeps things flowing and manageable but after a long day or down the line on a feature shoot you end up with tons of timelines!

Ability to export multiple selected timelines as AAF's from the media or Edit page in one go. The current behaviour here seems to be either export the current timeline or right click and you can export the timeline you right clicked on but if you select multiple timelines and right click it only exports the one you right clicked.

Type to search or some other shortcut when selecting timelines from the drop down list above the viewer window Currently when navigating between timelines using this drop down having to scroll up and down pages worth of timeline per mag timelines when you are deep in to feature film can be a time consuming pain. Yes, you can go to the edit page, open the media pool and search there, find it and navigate back to the colour page, but extra options and more direct ways never hurt anybody. My proposal is that when the dropdown timeline list is open; typing performs an instant search helping you find your timeline fast.

Both the above are little UI tweaks and are in response to ways of using the existing feature set to manage workflows in ways that perhaps weren't originally envisioned or intended, perhaps others have developed better ways of leveraging the existing feature sets for these tasks or maybe a mode of working and new feature set could be devised that specifically aim to solve the workflow requirements of on set data processing more directly. Hopefully some of my On Set brethren will see this and chime in...

Sam Steti

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:19 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Delivery page, add [hide completed jobs]. More often than not I want to keep the jobs but i need to visualize what need to be rendered, expecially if I show all the the projects

Super + 1
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Sam Steti

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:29 pm

Is there a way so far to make a group dedicated to PTZR sizing in the color tab ?
Say I have a multicam done, involving clips from a same cam that need to be a bit zoomed + left pan (y): 1/ can make groups in the Edit tab, I mean groups I can find again in the color tab as true groups ? 2/ I tried to group clips in the color tab > switched to pre-group menu > tried input sizing, node sizing etc...
I didn't reach my goal to see these ptzr applied on every clips of the group, don't remember why but I had to go back to edit page and select these very clips and do that again in the inspector (by pasting attributes)... What did I miss ? Or is it doable to add this ?

Sam Steti

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:51 pm

- Multicam part : adding a empty track when "opened in timeline", then closing* back to the viewer and chosing multicam view made it crash/quit Resolve. To be checked...

- BTW : page 370 of the manual (I had to re-read again), you can read about stacked clips open after chosing "open in timeline" :

"When you’ve finished altering the contents of the multicam clip, you can close it using the path control at the bottom left-hand corner of the Timeline. Click the name of the edited timeline to go back, in preparation for the next steps."
I'm pretty sure nothing will happen if you don't double-click it ;)

- Also, resizing the angle viewer and the right viewer (i.e. to give greater room for angles viewer) by trying to select and slide the border between them - still in multicam situation - is not possible, because of the blade mouse interfering : we have to go back from multicam to source view under the viewer, then do it as needed, then re-select multicam view to see angles again...
One basic solution would be to only see the blade appear when you hover (the mouse is right over it) an angle in the viewer, not when elsewhere over the viewer where an arrow mouse should remain. If not, dropping the blade in favour of keeping an arrow mouse everywhere would be highly appreciated by anyone who cuts hours and hours of multicam clips ;)

I hope my crappy english didn't screw my explanations...

Dermot Shane

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 pm

what's bugging me today is wadeing through the zillion OFX i have on the system to get the the dozen or so i use commonly

would like to have away to collapse the dust collectors, and keep the highvalue OFX close at hand

waltervolpatto

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:what's bugging me today is wadeing through the zillion OFX i have on the system to get the the dozen or so i use commonly

would like to have away to collapse the dust collectors, and keep the highvalue OFX close at hand

A favorite mechanism perhaps?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kel Philm

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:01 am

Would like to see clip numbers on the edit page as well as the color page, also would be great to be able to jump to the clips by typing in the number followed by a hotkey. Would be really great if there was an option to retain numbering if a clip was inserted or removed, e.a. new clips inserted at position 109 would become 108.1 for example, that way the would retain there number. Also being able to Data Burn the clip number in would be great.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 2:26 am

QuentinBrown wrote:Type to search or some other shortcut when selecting timelines from the drop down list above the viewer window Currently when navigating between timelines using this drop down having to scroll up and down pages worth of timeline per mag timelines when you are deep in to feature film can be a time consuming pain.

Two observations:

1) there are panels that have "next timeline" function buttons, including the Tangent Elements (and I believe the big daVinci Control Surface). It's not in the Mini at the moment.

2) When I have a feature that starts to sprawl out of control, I generally create a folder and split the feature up into multiple sessions, including a current session with just the version we're working on at this very moment. That way, at most we're only going to have (maybe) 6 timelines, assuming it's a standard 2-hour film consisting of 6 x 20-minute timelines.

If I need "auxiliary" timelines for VFX or quickie viewing copies or something like that, I generally run in Dynamic Project Switching and flip back and forth if necessary.

I don't think it's a good practice to have tons and tons of timelines in a single project, but I concede that sometimes it can get very hairy, particularly with variations on commercials and trailers and short material like that. For features, I think there's a way to manage the process in a more straightforward way.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 am

QuentinBrown wrote:
QuentinBrown wrote:
[b]Type to search for timeline .

How did u get to have a page deep of timelines. Have u made one for each mag?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nick Lear

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:54 pm

overwrite and insert modes (e.g option) when dragging clips

We do have that - overwrite is default, and insert is shift-crtl/cmd (win/mac) or alt-ctrl/cmd. Having said that, I would prefer just alt as it's fiddly to hold two modifiers for such a regular editing function.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:How did u get to have a page deep of timelines. Have u made one for each mag?

Peter, just an observation that from the editing side of things many editors follow a workflow that involves multiple timelines and even just having "clear list" would be helpful, but I +1 for a searchable mechanism too.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

mattfezz

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 am

Icon on thumbnails for shots with keyframes/dynamics. Similar to shots with tracking.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Nicolas Horne

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:06 am

floating waveform window also in dual display mode.
in single display mode, i can place the waveforms on an old, small 4:3 monitor, but in dual display mode they are 'stuck'
Resolve Studio 18, MiniPanel, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3, LG UltraFine 5K, Sony BVM-F250A, Promise Pegasus R4, OWC Envoy Pro EX VE 2TB SSD, OWC Thunderblade 2TB SSD, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 48TB, 2021 MBP M1 Max 64GB, 2019 MBP Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, BMD eGPU

Pete Grayson

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 2:36 am

Please add a shortcut key for "Change Label" of a node.

This would speed up the workflow a lot!

Thanks

Nick Lear

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

View>Bypass all grades (shift-D) is greyed out on the Edit page. Is there a reason for this? This is very useful when editing something for example that has gone to the client with a grade and noise reduction and then you need to do editing changes and need smooth playback back. Could shift-D be made to work on the edit page? (No biggie to go into Color page and back, but every 0.001% improvement helps make DR the best :D )
Last edited by Nick Lear on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

waltervolpatto

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 am

Nick Lear wrote:View>Bypass all grades (shift-D) is greyed out on the Edit page. Is there a reason for this? This is very useful when editing something for example that has gone to the client with a grade and noise reduction and then you need to do changes and need smooth playback back. Could shift-D be made to work on the edit page? (No biggie to go into Color page and back, but every 0.001% improvement helps make DR the best :D )

I think that the shortcut work in edit mode

Miltos Pilalitos

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I think that the shortcut work in edit mode

No, It doesn't and it is really annoying. It is amazing how Resolve is still missing no-brainer features like that.

A dedicated UI button for bypassing color grades should be present on the EDIT mode as well. There is a lot of space for one.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Robert Arnold

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Pete Grayson wrote:Please add a shortcut key for "Change Label" of a node.

This would speed up the workflow a lot!

Thanks

If it appears in the menu (as this does), you can map it to a key command! Just go into preferences (from the gear icon at the bottom right), then Keyboard Mapping and edit away....

John Paines

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Being able to change the order of OFX or VST plugins in the Inspector, by dragging them. The only alternative (now) appears to be deleting and then reapplying them. Of course this assumes that the order of appearance is the order in which they're applied....

Miltos Pilalitos

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm

An easy way to change a linear point in a curved mask to a smooth bezier with handles and vice versa. Maybe by just double clicking on the point or Alt-Clicking.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Nick Lear

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 am

For the mouse scroll wheel to adjust every slider or box on the Color page just by hovering over it and then scrolling, without having to click it first, which easily changes the value. Some things already work like this - like bars and wheels e.g. Primaries Wheels or the Blur bars, but the sliders and boxes don't, e.g. Sizing>Node sizing>Pan or Contrast/Pivot/etc boxes. And the sliders work once you left click on them, but the boxes don't ever work with the middle scroll, only the click and drag (which is also useful).

I can see this would be difficult in the inspector on the edit page, as the middle scroll is already acting as scroll up/down. Perhaps that is why it isn't done - to keep consistency across the pages. But it would be nice to have it on the Color page.

Samer Mahmoud

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 3:17 am

i prefer the old curves editor, lets you focus better on each channel curve, and the worst thing BMD did was the color we used to have under the clip icon when its graded, now we have it on the clip index number and its really small, that makes you want to open ur eyes wider to check it, sometimes i miss some shots. before it was more clear having it under the clip icon. also should add a bottom for the "match to this clip"

manuel_songokuh

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 am

hi

i wish to say add little feature:
session: COLOR-->>keyframe:
A-
scroll wheel mouse in area keyframes: zoom in and out like as that TOOL ZOOM in and out for range timeline of keyframe.

B-
SNAP: a keyframe to snap to playhead line (red line vertical in timeline of keyframe) because i move a keyframe to other place so need SNAP to playhead

C-
ADD shortcut: CTRL+V (paste) in all parameters of SIZING : node sizing,editing sizing,input sizing,output sizing, reference sizing) because 12.5 has only: CTRL-X,,, why is one..?!!

D-
value number in parameter: 0.000 but what is unit for? PIXEL (square) or PERCENTAGE (%). please add little feature: UNIT PIXEL, (changeble) to UNIT PERCENTAGE (%), this is needs for all parameter of DAVINCI RESOLVE..please

E-
I'm very annoying :x :x
i active clips (window) and NODES (window) this is my needed but when i click MEDIA or EDIT from COLOR panel and return to COLOR: result closed windows: NODES, CLIPS! so i repeat re-actived NODES, CLIPS.. but how i want PIN STOP it..how? maybe is it need new feature for PIN IT after change panel? (also save my project file for next time starts my project save all my windows..?)

update

F-
add keyboard shortcut: add dynamic keyframe in area KEYFRAMES..

thank you

manuel_songokuh

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am

nothing respond..... :|

Jean Claude

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Um ... we are soon to the V14. :D
Bye Bye V13. :o
For new requests => viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58534&
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

waltervolpatto

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 pm

manuel_songokuh wrote:nothing respond..... :|

Manuel, nobody is going to respond. BM is aware of this thread, they read it and take notes.

Unlikely that you see a direct answer.

-w

manuel_songokuh

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm

waltervolpatto: thank you for respond and i did add version 15 for future note added..

waltervolpatto: i ask you like a help: you ask to them (developers) do question:
what is supported CPU processor, model, etc..
why is not supported cpu.. for what?
(MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, ABM, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64, Cool'n'Quiet, AMD-V, Turbo Core (AMD equivalent of Intel Turbo Boost) ....?

AMD RYZEN will be supported..?
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve