Camera Recommendation

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Ava Jackson

Camera Recommendation

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 am

Hi all,
I am looking towards buying a new Camera and the budget is close to $650.
Purpose for media study projects.
Please recommend something that is user friendly and also does not require much updates.

Denny Smith

Re: Camera Recommendation

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Not going to get much for $650, save for a Handicam. The least expensive BM camera, is the Pocket camera, and it is $995. New, had all of its updates already. Used ones go fro $600-800, and you still need a lens to go with it, which is another $400-600, depending on the lens. A Panasonic 18-35 f/2.8 zoom would be a good starting point.
Good luck.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 pm

iPhone?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:iPhone?

Forget iPhone, it always bothers me with its updates. Just get yourself an action cam. Lens built it, it's small, fits in your pocket. Everything you want.

On a serious note you may want to look at used market to get things on a cheap. For instance, I've just seen pocket cam on eBay for around $530 usd that includes 3 batteries and even 32GB SD card. As for the lens you can get old manual lens with inexpensive adapter and start shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Anatoly Mashanov

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 am

Any prosumer camera that does 30fps (or preferably variable, say 24/25/30 etc) _progressive_ full hd and additionally some audio recorder, for instance Zoom H1.

The times where the used vintage optics was dirt cheap have already passed. All well-preserved optics has been bought.

And the problem with BMPCC is that the available lenses are too long focus. And the good vintage short-focus lenses still cost a fortune.

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 4:50 am

Alas, 'tis true.... I waited too long for that great lens bargain :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:49 am

Ava, this forum is not where you will find help on cameras for prosumers and consumers. This forum are all about products at the professional level and way beyond your budget. But let me try to help and give you a good option for the budget at hand. There are professionals who actually shoot video with Camcorders and DSLRs, yours truly included. It depends what it is you are doing. Many here can attest to the Panasonic GH4 as a good option. But that still is outside your budget. The Canon 5D is a good video option too. But again they are outside your budget. Don't despair. There are many options if you want to go the DSLR route which allows for interchangeable lens compared to a camcorder, and have a bigger sensor and more functionality. Let me suggest three cameras that are within your budget and I think you will be very happy with.

1. Panasonic G7 - This is the GH4 baby brother. It's 4K UHD too and a very good camera. I use it so many times to shoot inserts and Web video content. Check it out here - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... micro.html

2. Canon EOS T5i - This is a hardy camera that shoots great HD video and many hacks from Magic Lattern that gives it some cinematic options. Check it out here - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 18_55.html

3. Sony A6000 - Another option for HD video. Check it out here - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html

This all comes with kit lens to get you started. I bought the G7 for my son. He shot an entire short movie with it and his video won a place at a local film festival last year. He continues to shoot with it for his YouTube channel with hundreds of thousands views to date.

I hope this helps you in your journey to cinematography. When you're budget allows for a larger purchase, come back here and consider the Blackmagic products by then. But I know you won't regret my suggestions. Best wishes.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:51 am

Pavel Lavrov wrote:

Forget iPhone, it always bothers me with its updates.

Sorry for going OT, but I have to comment this:
A device like your smartphone should get updates and you should normally update asap. Updates always close a lot of security holes which can be really damaging on device which has lots of your private data like GPS, messages, accounts and passwords, creditcard data and TANs.

And iOS updates are normally a thing of 15 minutes without user intervention done after a tap on "install".
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:55 am

Robert Niessner wrote:
Pavel Lavrov wrote:

Forget iPhone, it always bothers me with its updates.

Sorry for going OT, but I have to comment this:
A device like your smartphone should get updates and you should normally update asap. Updates always close a lot of security holes which can be really damaging on device which has lots of your private data like GPS, messages, accounts and passwords, creditcard data and TANs.

And iOS updates are normally a thing of 15 minutes without user intervention done after a tap on "install".

+1. By the way, if you have an IPhone, it's just as capable. The Sundance award winning film 'Tangerine' was shot using an iPhone 5S a year or two ago.. Can't remember exactly but you can check it out on IMDB. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3824458/tec ... tt_dt_spec

It's not the tool... It is how you use it. ;)
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jack Fairley

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:It's not the tool... It is how you use it. ;)

Using it in this case includes the use of a third-party camera app, so you can control the camera properly, and record without getting unusable VFR footage. If you skip this step, you will regret it terribly later.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Guy Fiorita

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 4:35 am

Get a DVX100B on eBay and you'll have some money left over for hard drives. It's SD, not HD but for 200 bucks you'll have a camera with a zoom lens, nd filters, a film look and pro controls and that records pro audio. No updates, nothing too fancy but it's a little workhorse and a great learning tool.

David Chapman

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 12:32 pm

iPhone all the way, especially if you have a 7 Plus where you can punch into the second lens while recording.

If you doubt me, watch this:
http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-7-camera-review-rwanda

Then you will need a few more items:
    1. Audio (Sennheiser makes an iPhone lav mic). You can also get a Zoom, but your $650 can go quick in the audio category
    2. Phone Tripod mount (I love the MeFoto which has a ball joint)
    3. The iFilmicPro app for the iPhone

Another reason the iPhone is so great is that almost everyone has one. You can easily add camera angles as needed or more phones for mics. The iPhone shoots better quality video than the current lineup of GoPro cams too.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Panasonic HC-V770K

Consumer-grade camcorder, but within the OP's budget and scanty requirements. Would work right out of the box without needing much of anything...except a cheap tripod. Actually has a cold shoe adapter.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Ava Jackson

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 am

Thank you for the recommendations, will surely look into which fits my use.

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Be sure to let us know what you decided. Thanks!
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Ava Jackson

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 am

Will surely do that. Waiting for some cash due.

David Peterson

PostWed May 17, 2017 10:39 am

I wrote this a couple of years ago, the gist of it is still relevant:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/a-priced-out-gear ... sonic-gh2/

But now you could get yourself a Panasonic G7 instead? (or a secondhand Panasonic G6 for very cheap)

Whatever you do, avoid any and all camcorders (notable exception: Sony AX100 with its relatively "large" 1" sensor is not too terrible). Also avoid all Canon DSLRs (terrible value for money! And you are clearly on a very tight budget.
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Return to Off-Topic