Thinking about switching to linux.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Olivia Christiansen

Thinking about switching to linux.

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 am

Tr;dl: I want to switch to linux since resolve is on it now. I need a new professional level nle.

Since davinci resolve is now on several linux distros, I really don't want to stay on osx or windows anymore. I am a long time adobe user and a mild avid user. I learned how to edit on fc7 and sony vegas. Does anyone here have any experience with any linux based nles? Every list I find on google recommending me programs that are for linux seem to be for casual or entry level users. I'm very specifically looking for an nle let me change keyboard bindings, lets me use blackmagic hardware, and can export aaf, edl or xml files from them. I know Resolve is technically and nle, but I really can't stand using it to edit projects.

Marc Wielage

Re: Thinking about switching to linux.

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 am

Lightworks has some quirks, but they do have a version for Linux:

https://www.lwks.com/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mike Kroes

PostSat May 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Does Cinelerra do what you need?

I am not very impressed with the Linux editing programs I have found, either, but I have installed this one and so far it seems promising.

Sheriton Swan

PostTue May 23, 2017 10:55 am

I'd recommend Lightworks. It's an editor with 20+ years heritage and plenty of Hollywood films to its credit. There's a little bit of a learning curve but they have loads of tutorial videos on their website. The new version V14 only came out a couple of months ago so not all the resources are fully up to speed with that version yet though. Their forum is very active and helpful. The free version is fully featured barring some export options so it's easy to try without any expenditure.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostWed May 31, 2017 9:15 pm

If you can't stand to edit on Resolve then you are only left with lightworks as was suggested.. It is the only professional grade NLE that's available for Linux.. I have looked around for a proper Linux NLE for years now with no luck.. I personally didn't like lightworks, so all my hopes are currently on Resolve improving more and more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Return to Post Production