Crazy day

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stephen Press

Crazy day

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 am

Call from an out of town producer wanting to hire me but not familiar with the URSA Mini 4.6k. Talked him about it and sent him some BM website links, he went away happy. Called back a bit later. He was concerned that after looking at the BM website if there is a BM URSA Mini Pro, so then the camera I was offering to shoot on must be a non-professional version.
We had a chat about the same sensor on both cameras, just different form factor, no ND filters built in and I think he was happy again.
Until he rang back because his editor had told him there were rainbow flare issues with BM cameras. I tried to explain that was the only Pro version but by that stage he had lost all interest in the camera.
They are actually going to hire a Canon XF305 (ffs) and fly in with it… sigh.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Denny Smith

Re: Crazy day

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 5:15 am

If these guys went with a pro summer type $3500 camcorder (an entry level model at that) then they would not know what to do with your footage anyway Stephen.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 5:19 am

Very sorry to read that and also sad to report that it is the same situation in San Francisco.
The only producers that I can convince to use the Ursa Mini 4.6K are those that are also close friends who have complete faith that I would never let them down. The rest have heard or read about all the Ursa Mini problems and they rent a C300 or an FS7 instead. I had one job that was being edited in FCP7 and even though I explained how the Ursa Mini could record directly to ProRes without external boxes or the need to transcode, they still wouldn't agree to use it. Given that my Ursa Mini is currently in for its third RMA with BMD, I can't exactly blame them for their reluctance. It honestly hasn't been a very reliable tool. It is lovely when it works though.

I wonder how many other Ursa Mini owners out there are having a hard time hiring out the Ursa Mini 4.6K. Are you having any luck convincing anyone besides your best pals to rent it at a full day rate?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Stephen Press

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 am

having some luck with News networks once I went in and went through the workflow with them... basically dumbing everything down till they could deal with it :)

Ironically I have another shoot this week on a Canon XF305 for a doco, their camera so I can't complain, just I thought I was done with cameras like that.

Stephen Press

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am

Took my UM along on the shoot so they could see it in the flesh, maybe feel confident to use it for next time. After a quick look at it and the pictures they quickly decided to use it for the whole shoot. The Canon stayed in the car :)

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Not so crazy. Very canny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 am

Great job Stephen! I'm totally going to try that the next time a producer passes on renting mine.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:59 am

Some times, "show and tell" is the best way to get a camera noticed! Well done Stephen.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography