The Micro Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nathan Gunn

The Micro Cinema Camera

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am

Hi all,

I have quite a few questions which will all seem a bit strange! I know that you're not supposed to use these cameras in any sort of auto mode but could you ever set one to do so? If I was to shoot continuously for roughly two to two and a half hours in RAW how much memory and battery would I need? also, has any on ever tested these cameras in low-pressure situations?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Nathan

Gene Kochanowsky

Re: The Micro Cinema Camera

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 am

Nathan, I get 1 hr of raw recording for every 256 GB of storage. So a 512 GB card should give you a 2 hr recording time. As for "auto", I not sure what you are trying to do. The camera does not have any auto settings. But assuming your lighting stays more or less the same and your depth of field for your exposure settings will accommodate the motion of your subject, it should work fine. I have no experience operating this camera under more than 1 atmosphere. So you're on your own on that one. I have found that raw footage is very forgiving on white balance and exposure.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 am

Gene and Nathan, the Micro cameras do have an Auto exposure mode, but not auto focus.
The Auto exposure mode has several settings, to control the Iris (f/stop), shutter angle, and Iris and Shutter angle both controlled, in addition to Manual Trigger, which is manual setting of both Iris and SA.

So you can set the camera up to do a shoot in changing light, and keep a constant exposure, if the lighting stays within the camera's range of settings. This could be useful for situations like a remote nature shots, or a time lapse set up. There is no rule that states you shou,d not or can not use theses Auto features.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 am

Denny, I'm assuming that what is meant by auto would be the kind of functionality that one would find in the sony a6500 or rx100m5. The operator does nothing in the way of adjusting white balance, iso, f-stop, shutter speed, or focus. The camera just takes care of that for you continuously. The bmmcc has ways in which you can trigger "auto" focus or iris but they do not work continuously and require an operator to engage the "auto" adjustment whenever it needs an adjustment.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 6:11 am

Gene, I hear you. But, the Micro camera will automatically set Iris and SA (depending on the auto mode selected) without pressing buttons, like you did on the Pocket camera.

The Micro does not have an Iris or Focus button for "push" to activate one-shot auto functions. Once you set the camera to Auto Iris, for example, the camera sets Iris on MFT native (Auto) lenses. You can also set it to automatically set SA then Iris or the other way round, or just set the SA, leaving the Iris on its preset f/stop. This is a different and nice feature when using lenses that support auto Iris. But as you pointed out, WB ISO, Frame rate, and focus will need to be preset first.

So Nathan could set the camera up in an underwater situaltion (in a water right case of course) with auto Iris set in the menu, and the camera will change the Iris setting based on the light hitting the sensor. If set to Iris/SA mode, the Iris will be set first, and if it is too dark or too much light for the lens f/stop range, the camera will also change the SA to give exposure additional control.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Denny, I hadn't noticed that settings before. That does add a level of "auto" that the pocket does not have. But it is still way below the sophistication of the auto mode on the Sony a6500 or RX100M5. If one is looking for a full on auto mode then at this point in time Blackmagic does not make product that does that. But they make very nice cinematography cameras which are intended to be manually operated. Whenever I use my Sony cameras for cinematography the first thing that gets turned off is all the auto settings.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes, full auto settings like the Sony A series DSLR cameras have do not work well for video, and are kind of unproductive. Even an auto Iris function will cause noticeable "steps" as it changes the lens f/stop in 1/3 EV steps. That said, the new Panny/Leica 12-60mm and 8-18mm f/2.8-4 zooms have a continuous video Iris control, no steps. For time lapse shooting the setting changes would not be noticeable, but a continuous scene, they are, depending on the lens used, some more so than others.

The BM auto Iris/Shutter on the Micro is still a nice feature. But a Sony style full on auto setting is not going to happen in a BM camera, unless BM changes the market it is catering to.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography