Recommendations for Lens for Black Magic Micro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Marksman

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:21 am

Hey there,

I need a slim wide angle lens for the Black Magic Micro that is being used for green screens. Do you have any recommendations? Would prefer if it was fixed, will be pushing it out via SDI.

Thanks so much!

Denny Smith

Re: Recommendations for Lens for Black Magic Micro

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 5:10 am

Kind of hard to give a response to this. Which Micro camera, the Cinema or Studio?
Given that 17.5mm is "normal" angle of view (AOV), how wide do you need?
What is the camera to subject distance, and how wide is the field of coverage, i.e. 12-ft wide area or?

The wider the lens, the larger the lens becomes. For compact size, the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 is nice and compact, as small as you are going to get. Next the Panasonic Leica 15mm is also fairly compact and at f/1.7, fairly fast., both have a 46mm filter ring size

Next, the SLR Magic 10mm is a very nice, low distortion lens, and fairly sharp when stopped down to f/2.0 to 5.6., but it is larger with a 77mm filter ring size.

Next, going up,in price and size are the wide Super 16mm lenses, likemthe Zeiss Super Speeds, which are 12mm and 9.5mm, both have an 80mm front element size, no filter ring thread. Also Elite and Illumina lenses came in 8mm for super wide shots.
DS

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Marksman

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am

Denny Smith wrote:Kind of hard to give a response to this. Which Micro camera, the Cinema or Studio?
Given that 17.5mm is "normal" angle of view (AOV), how wide do you need?
What is the camera to subject distance, and how wide is the field of coverage, i.e. 12-ft wide area or?

The wider the lens, the larger the lens becomes. For compact size, the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 is nice and compact, as small as you are going to get. Next the Panasonic Leica 15mm is also fairly compact and at f/1.7, fairly fast., both have a 46mm filter ring size

Next, the SLR Magic 10mm is a very nice, low distortion lens, and fairly sharp when stopped down to f/2.0 to 5.6., but it is larger with a 77mm filter ring size.

Next, going up,in price and size are the wide Super 16mm lenses, likemthe Zeiss Super Speeds, which are 12mm and 9.5mm, both have an 80mm front element size, no filter ring thread. Also Elite and Illumina lenses came in 8mm for super wide shots.
DS

Cheers

Need about 8 foot width, as slim as possible. These lens are a bit out of my price range. I was referring to the Blackmagic Design Micro Studio Camera 4K.

How wide is this going to be?
https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-14-42mm- ... M7CAP0C3Q8

Thanks!

Alexander Halbwirth

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi John,
the Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS MFT is a wide lens I like.

Best regards
Alex

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 pm

John, you want your field of view to cover 8' but at what distances are the limiting factors for your camera from the green screen and your talent? Might help to know the room dimensions that limit your placement of the green screen and the talent and the camera and lights.

Are you using the 8' width at the green screen or 8' for the plane where the talent is found?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

I would stay away from small stil, zooms like his, the IQ is not very good, and they are not very sharp.
To,pull,a good Chroma Key (green screen) you need a nice sharp fast lens, not a small, slow still zoom like this. Your results will be disappointing.

Again the focal length needed to cover 8-feet is going to depend on the camera to subject distance.
A 12mm lens will cover 8-feet width at at a 8-foot subject to camera distance, 9-feet will give a 9-foot width image, this is one of the nice things with the 12mm. But using it close in will cause some distortion, so I would go with a Oly 14mm prime lens, or the Panny/Leica 15mm. All can be had used on eBay for $200-400.

A 15mm, for example will give 8-fret of coverage at 10-feet, a 16mm Veydra Mini Prime (a very excellent lens, similar IQ to the Zeiss Super Speeds) will cover 8-feet at 10.5 feet, a 17mm Oly Prime at 11-12 feet will also cover your 8-foot area. The longer the focal length, the better the perspective if shooting a person in your setup.

Of all the lenses listed so far, the Oly 17mm would be the best choice, (or the Veydra 16mm which is more expensive) and will give a "Normal" looking perspective for shooting a person. But, if you have the room, a longer focal length would be better yet. ( I have a Veydra 16mm for sale if you are interested, PM me)

When I was doing TV promotion Chroma Key shots on a AF100/MFT sensor, we used a 35mm for most the of the shots, covering a 8 foot background area at about 15-feet from the green screen, subject was 6-8 feet from the screen, which is about as close as you want to get to the green screen to the subject.

A Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 II or a Sigma 19mm f/2.8 would give you about the same coverage at this distance, which is about as close as I would go to the screen, to keep the screen at least one-stop underexposed against the subject. Both are fairly compact lenses, the Panny is the one I would choose over the two, as some Sigma lenses have issues with BM cameras.

A monitor with a Wave Form monitor is a real asset getting the lighting even on the screen. Also an IOS application called Green Screen will help.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Marksman

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am

Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide, Manual Focus Lens
https://www.adorama.com/sy12mmftbk.html

versus

Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Fixed Lens for Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 (MFT)

https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Olympus- ... ngle+fixed

Sorry if I don't know what I am asking a bit of a noob at this. For green screens has to be wide angle and not that large (hoping to be easily adjustable as well).

Also difference between manual and fixed lens?

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm

The Rok and Samyang are the same lens, with a different name on it. I have not used either one.
For a small, light 12mm, I would still go for a used Oly 12mm f/2.0 MFT lens, which will be sharper than the Samyang/Rock 12mm lens and smaller also.

The Samyang/Rock lens is a manual lens, no auto Iris.
The Oly 12mm Iris can be adjusted with the camera arrow buttons. I have an SBus remote, I use to control the Iris and focus on the Panny and Oly MFT lenses.

The choice is yours John.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Marksman

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 10:39 am

Denny Smith wrote:The Rok and Samyang are the same lens, with a different name on it. I have not used either one.
For a small, light 12mm, I would still go for a used Oly 12mm f/2.0 MFT lens, which will be sharper than the Samyang/Rock 12mm lens and smaller also.

The Samyang/Rock lens is a manual lens, no auto Iris.
The Oly 12mm Iris can be adjusted with the camera arrow buttons. I have an SBus remote, I use to control the Iris and focus on the Panny and O,y MFT lenses.

The choice is yours John.
Cheers

That lens costs $750, this only costs $300. Are we talking a huge difference?

Alexander Halbwirth

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi John,
here is a comparision between the two lenses:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/rokinon-s ... -f2.63350/

Best regards
Alex

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 am

True John, the new price is $750. Mute recent low selling price on eBay is $380, with an average selling price of $420. There are two 12mm Oly lenses on eBay, listed at $475 (with a best offer option) and the other is $450. Both lenses are in NY.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Marksman

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 am

Denny Smith wrote:True John, the new price is $750. Mute recent low selling price on eBay is $380, with an average selling price of $420. There are two 12mm Oly 13mm lenses listed at $475 (wi a best offer option) and the other is $450. Both lenses are in NY.
Cheers

This would *only* be used for a green screen environment.

Thanks so much for the responses.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Then why is a "small size" lens so important? If the camera is setup on a tripod, you can use the larger SLR Magic lenses, unless you want remote focus and Iris control, then the MFT native lenses are yiurmpnly choice.

When I had a dedicated green screen setup for PSAs, shooting on a MFT (AF100) camera, the widest we used was a 18mm Zeiss lens for full length shots, but normally we used a 25mm for two person shot and a 35mm for a one person shot. Trying to use one lens, unless the setup is consistent with the same talent, etc., is not always the best approach.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography