Bug Stabilizer Windows R 12.5.5

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yani Haigh

Bug Stabilizer Windows R 12.5.5

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 am

I think I have more than a deadline... I have a bug, excuse me while I vomit!

Resolve 12.5.5 (lite)
Windows Tin
Graphics Nvidia 760 X2
AMD 8 core
Screen UHD

Camera input file Sony Alpha 7R II

Issues with stabilization

I set this job up yesterday using HD res on the timeline. Stabilization tracking caused crashes. It worked it just crashed. Going backwards was a sure way to make it crash.

The video length was 14 minutes.

So today I set the timeline to UHD, did the cuts and broke the video into 14 sections.

Now I don't have a clue what is going on. There seems to be multiple bugs.

The first is that the + marks are near to invisible on the screen.
The second is that it claims to be tracking but swat happens.

And for the record the interface is screwed up on this monitor at this resolution.

I've been messing about for 4 hours and I still don't know what is going wrong.

Have I exceeded a limit in the lite version?
Have I exceeded what these graphics cards can manage?
Have I hit a software bug?

Is there any difference in output quality if the timeline is UHD and the output HD compared to timeline HD output HD when the camera file is UHD?

I guess I'm looking for some 'I've been there and the issue is...' advice.
Attachments
bug-r1.png
Interface design issue
bug-r1.png (53.62 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

Yani Haigh

Re: Bug Stabilizer Windows R 12.5.5

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm

So... set up a test on a new project...

If I put a single clip on the timeline stabilizer works perfectly.

Once I introduce a second clip to the timeline it is impossible to use the stabilizer?

WHY? Is that something I'm doing wrong or a bug that needs attention. In fact if it is a bug, I'd say, immediate attention!

Yani Haigh

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:19 pm

While I can see perfect video demos of the point tracker on youTube...

I can't see the point tracker working in the Windows version at all in at of the use cases.

There is just no point dropped on the image that I can see at all.

Are you guys lacking Windows beta testers or am I'm missing the point on these tools?

Dermot Shane

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:44 pm

i typicaly use BCC's or NewBlue's soptical stab, because i get what i feel are better resualts faster with less mess'n about

that said, i do get crashes if using the native tracker + i track backwards + it goes into autosave, this has been going on for a few years now, my work around is to manualy save before tracking backward

i

Jean Claude

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Yani Haigh wrote:I think I have more than a deadline... I have a bug, excuse me while I vomit!

Resolve 12.5.5 (lite)
Windows Tin
Graphics Nvidia 760 X2
AMD 8 core
Screen UHD

Camera input file Sony Alpha 7R II

Issues with stabilization

I set this job up yesterday using HD res on the timeline. Stabilization tracking caused crashes. It worked it just crashed. Going backwards was a sure way to make it crash.

The video length was 14 minutes.

So today I set the timeline to UHD, did the cuts and broke the video into 14 sections.

Now I don't have a clue what is going on. There seems to be multiple bugs.

The first is that the + marks are near to invisible on the screen.
The second is that it claims to be tracking but swat happens.

And for the record the interface is screwed up on this monitor at this resolution.

I've been messing about for 4 hours and I still don't know what is going wrong.

Have I exceeded a limit in the lite version?
Have I exceeded what these graphics cards can manage?
Have I hit a software bug?

Is there any difference in output quality if the timeline is UHD and the output HD compared to timeline HD output HD when the camera file is UHD?

I guess I'm looking for some 'I've been there and the issue is...' advice.

Hi,

I just think that your PC and especially your GPU is a little weak ...
Sorry.

If you read the threads related to "BUGS and + UHD config", it is often due to an inadequate hardware configuration to Davinci Resolve.

That has been said for several years. ;)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Yani Haigh

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 pm

"I just think that your PC and especially your GPU is a little weak"

Not so much the GPU but 2GB is clearly on the edge of memory. It's workable but I have to kill off all other apps that use the GPU. I know what this issue looks like, there are warning and errors in the display. And I don't honestly think that is the issue here.

Did you read my other comments? I really need someone to confirm that they actually tested what I'm saying on Windows 10 and can confirm or reject this as a bug.

Jean Claude

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:21 am

If I understand correctly the clips come from a Sony Alpha 7R II codec XAVC S. It is a very resource-intensive format.

Try to convert these clips into a lossless dnXHR format on PC and test for stabilization.
Resolve Lite has supported timeline and render resolutions up to UHD 3840x2160 since version 10.
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Yani Haigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:30 am

Jean, I don't think that answers the question of "does it normally work perfectly on Windows 10 with multiple clips"?

I'll give that (lossless dnXHR)a go and I'm organizing a beefy graphics card to try.

I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to bugs. ;)

Yani Haigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

"Try to convert these clips into a lossless dnXHR format on PC and test for stabilization."

Might work as a test but isn't going to work in production. Looks like it would turn the ~100GB of video I have to work with into 15-20TB. I tried it on part of the actual job that was set up and 15 minute long. I'd have to make a test file of a much shorter video. I didn't do that and I'm not sure that would prove much if I did.

i did try the built in option in Revolve to 'Create Optimized Media'. That would be more manageable but also creates big disk use. It didn't resolve the issue.

Honestly, I think this is a bug in the Windows version.

Also I tried those 2 plugins. The BCC one refuses to install. The other I can't find an interface to within Resolve. That just feels like a whole new exercise in bug catching.

I get the feeling you guys don't get the scale or the issue I'm talking about and maybe aren't using the Windows 10 platform. I think the next step should be to record a screen video using some smaller test files. Just so I know the issue is clear.

Dermot Shane

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Also I tried those 2 plugins. The BCC one refuses to install. The other I can't find an interface to within Resolve. That just feels like a whole new exercise in bug catching.

weird, i installed both of them on anew build last week with no issues..

for BCC i would call their support, they are really good they can guide you throiugh the install, although i find it pretty strightforward and have not yet seen an error message

for NewBlue, the interface is displayed when you add the plug-in from the OFX menu to a node

Jean Claude

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Well I have the 2 OFX and no problem. Perhaps the difference is that I have 2 GPUs:
One with 6 GB VRAM and the other 8 GB VRAM: not 2 GB Vram (especially for XAVC S sources).

Yani Haigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 pm

I get a morning greeting... This one didn't exist yesterday.

Apart from the 2GB of graphic memory. I'm thinking what other difference there might be.

I'm running a UHD monitor at 12 bits using YCbCr422 and another that is a standard 1920X1600. That could be in the slightly different range.
Attachments
resolve eror 2.png
Error warning
resolve eror 2.png (17.02 KiB) Viewed 3454 times

Yani Haigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 10:16 pm

I cleaned out those plugins with IObit. That issue is solved.

Well there are definitely bugs in this part of the Resolve code. Even if it is a failure to provide a warning of lack of GPU memory.

I made a clean test file with 2 clips from different sources and I can create a + cloud.

Then when I open the file I'm working on it still fails. That file is one clip cut to 14 sections.

When I try the 'Point Stabilizer' on the test file I get no point at all. Even after a reboot when it is the first thing I do. I'll reboot again and double check this to be sure.

It's looking to me like this has something to do with using a single clip cut into 14 sections. That is a much bigger clip that my test file which is 2 short MOV files. I'll reboot again just to be sure and then cut one of these short clips in the test file and see what happens.

Yani Haigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Absolutely nothing will bring up an X using the point tracker.

I can make a cut in the test file and still use the + cloud. But they are small files.

So i guess I'm up to pull out the graphics card and replace and see what happens. I'll see if I can talk my supplier into giving me a few different cards to test.

Yani Haigh

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 am

Working with UHD... Absolutely impossible to do anything more than basic CC on 2GB of GPU RAM.

Works OK if the timeline is HD.

On the stabilizer issue...
If you carry forward a node set to the next clip and try you repath the stabilizer is gets totally confused and does nothing. You have to create a new node. It's a PITA but I'm not sure it is an error or bug but just a limitation of the design. It should go on the developers' list if someone is watching.

Yani Haigh

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 5:03 am

Given the code for this is being redone in the next version, I guess I'm commenting on the wrong version... but hey.

I'm retracking a clip that after the first go I added 2 more nodes to.

When I detach those nodes, as in not delete just unlink, I can't get tracking point to appear. I deleted the nodes and they worked perfectly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve