How to record audio with resolve 14?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Oli Koos

How to record audio with resolve 14?

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 am

Hello,

I am wondering how to record audio with resolve 14. On the fairlight page, hitting the record button does nothing for me.

P.s. a pitty that BM has not integraded basic audio filters like "reverb" "denoiser" e.t.a., was that never part of the fairlight software package ?

thx

Maciej Antosiewicz

Re: How to record audio with resolve 14?

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 pm

I have the same problem

I also have problem with audio keyframes, when im adding them manually only last one is working

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 pm

any of you guys figure out how to get audio recording working?

Jakob Kousholt

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 pm

I can't seem to be recording audio either... Hmm.

Hakim Craddock

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Bump

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Scott Carmichael

PostFri May 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Yeah, I would like to know how to do this as well

Andrew Devis

PostFri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Scott Carmichael wrote:Yeah, I would like to know how to do this as well

I suspect that as this is a beta that recording isn't enabled as yet - although I was pleased to see that is wasn't just me being unable to record anything! I would also suspect that we will see additional FX for audio in the final version - probably more with the studio version as they do with the colour fx etc. But who can say for sure?

From what I can see, there is still quite a lot of work needed to be done to get Fairlight working as it should - but it's a good start.
A

Daniele Bemportato

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:11 pm

In order to enable audio recording you need to patch audio inputs to destination tracks.
Then you will be able to select the recording track by selecting the R button on the track sidebar.
Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1 - Intel i7 6850K - RAM 32 Gb - GeForce 1080Ti
Avid Artist DNxIQ
Windows 10 Pro 1903

Andrew Devis

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Daniele Bemportato wrote:In order to enable audio recording you need to patch audio inputs to destination tracks.
Then you will be able to select the recording track by selecting the R button on the track sidebar.

That sounds great - thanks ... could you walk us through it?

Daniele Bemportato

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:27 pm

- Select Fairlight Page
- Open Fairlight Menu
- Click on "Patch Input/Output"
- Select Audio inputs on the left side
- Select Destination in the right side
- Click Patch button

In case your destination track is Stereo you need to select both audio channels in the right panel.
You can assign the same audio input to both destination channels if needed.
Now you should be able to select recording track by clicking the R button on track sidebar.

Then click Record button to start.
Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1 - Intel i7 6850K - RAM 32 Gb - GeForce 1080Ti
Avid Artist DNxIQ
Windows 10 Pro 1903

Andrew Devis

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Thank you - that is really helpful, I am now almost there! I have the R and the red recording - but as yet I can't get it to pick up my mic ... but it's really good to be making progress so far. A

Andrew Devis

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Daniele Bemportato wrote:- Select Fairlight Page
- Open Fairlight Menu
- Click Patch button

In case your destination track is Stereo you need to select both audio channels in the right panel.
Now you should be able to select recording track by clicking the R button on track sidebar.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm looking at the input options for audio 1 and I can't seem to work out how to make resolve/fairlight pick up my audio input device (quad capture with a mic input running at 48K). I hear it through my speakers but I can't get it working in Fairlight - any suggestions? Thanks. A

Hakim Craddock

PostSun May 07, 2017 6:24 am

i tried what was suggested. still does not work for me. maybe somebody that has this working can put together a video and share it?

jussi rovanpera

PostSun May 07, 2017 11:14 am

Same here, I can get Resolve to record, but no audio is coming in.

I can define an input to a channel, but how to configure the input?

I'm on Windows 10, with no separate audio hardware.

jussi rovanpera

PostMon May 08, 2017 8:30 am

Paul Saccone commented that recording does not work yet.

Andrew Devis

PostMon May 08, 2017 9:53 am

I've had another play with recording and found that once you have some kind of audio in your project you can then record from your own device! I set the project up with a timeline with no audio hoping to record audio and it simply wouldn't pick it up. Then, I added just a few seconds of audio from a file and put my play-head at the end of that audio file and it picked up my mono mic and recorded it as patched! However, there was no monitoring of the signal level while recording.

So, it did pick up my old Roland Quad-Capture with a mono mic and recorded it just fine - you just need some audio in the project first and have channels properly patched!!

Hope this helps
A
Edit: Tried this again and found it very hit and miss. Sometimes I can't get it to work at all on new projects and needed to load an old project with audio when then worked (most of the time). Also, once - it recorded without the R being activated! just hit the big O and it recorded, but now I'm back to needing the R activated! This is quite frustrating.

Edit 2: FYI files saved to Resolve Cache>Capture as .wav for me

ChrisRiddell

PostSun May 14, 2017 10:03 am

Daniele Bemportato wrote:- Select Fairlight Page
- Open Fairlight Menu
- Click Patch button

Following this I was unable to get it to work.

To be able to check the R button in the sidebar I had to change the audio track to mono then patch in input.

Patching ether input 1 or 2 to the audio track, clicking record there was no audio been recorded tried using a USB mic and a 3.5mm Mic connected to the PC.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed May 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Seems to me that:
a. only sources with valid inputs set can be set to record (R button lights red) - which makes sense
b. only sources available in patching are mono

therefore only mono tracks can be set up for recording

also I can get timeline to indicate that it is recording, with a clip on timeline post recording completed, but I cannot get any input to that track (have tried aux busses & sub mixes & osc - no input on this laptop)

Hakim Craddock

PostFri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

Its broken. That appears to be the general consensus.

Is there a updated beta version available or is blackmagic planning on skipping the updates every few days and just releasing the full stable version with everything working? weekly updates would be nice until the full stable release is available.

Hakim Craddock

PostMon May 22, 2017 10:16 pm

still doesnt work in beta 2

Hakim Craddock

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 11:05 am

still doesn't work on beta 3.

Jakob Kousholt

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Why is this not being resolved? To me it would be such a helpful thing to be able to record straight into blackmagic design, that I can't understand why it's not a higher priority to fix this asap.

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am

still doesn't work on beta 4.

Hakim Craddock

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Jakob Kousholt wrote:Why is this not being resolved? To me it would be such a helpful thing to be able to record straight into blackmagic design, that I can't understand why it's not a higher priority to fix this asap.

i guess they don't feel that voice overs are important. Unfortunately for me, i record most of my videos in a noisey environment so i have not choice but to do voice overs on my videos. For now i will stick with premiere pro until this is resolved.

Bummer because i am dying to learn this software but if it cant do what i need it to do....

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Hakim Craddock wrote:still doesn't work on beta 4.

Beta 5 is out as of this past week.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jakob Kousholt

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:34 am

I still can't make this thing work in Beta 5. Hmm.

Michael Hebo

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

It works here on the free version beta 4 for windows.
I patched the laptop mic to the audio track, record enabled the track, hit record and it recorded my voice.
DaVinci Resolve 17, Pop!_OS 20.10 64-Bit, 32GB RAM, i7-8750H, GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB NVMe

Hakim Craddock

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 am

beta 5 still doesn't work

Jean Claude

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Here it works very well provided:
My microphone is connected to the Realtek internal board. By default the microphone input is set to: 48000 Hz, 24 bits (24 important).
I amplified the microphone input until hearing my breath with a "normal" sound level
In fairlight of well patch Input / output. Check the bus assign (maybe audio1 check with Main 1?)
Prepare its audio track (empty to start) => Click on the 'R' (ecord) at the track header
Click on the round button "Record" (it goes in red) => you to speak
Click stop to stop recording. It only remains to listen.

2017-07-23_19-19-18.jpg
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 am

On my system, running OS X.11.6, beta 5 is able to record with a Merging Hapi unit and the Merging CoreAudio driver frequency set to 48kHz.

No audio is recorded if the driver is set to 44.1k and at 96k, the capture exhibits behaviour of a sampling frequency mismatch - which there is since Resolve is fixed at 48k.

With the Hapi unit, only the 8 inputs of the first Mic/Line card is available to Resolve, the MADI, AES, ADAT inputs or other Mic/Line cards are unavailable. Resolve does not provide the other 80 available channels of the Merging driver to the user.

The only other caveat is that, as it stands, the input can not be monitored live with beta 5, nor is input level displayed. The "Record Level" potentiometer also only appears to active above the -20dB mark, below that level nothing is recorded. For this reason, this setting remains at 0 and gain is adjusted at the hardware level.

Early days.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Hakim Craddock

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 1:25 am

Jean Claude wrote:Here it works very well provided:
My microphone is connected to the Realtek internal board. By default the microphone input is set to: 48000 Hz, 24 bits (24 important).
I amplified the microphone input until hearing my breath with a "normal" sound level
In fairlight of well patch Input / output. Check the bus assign (maybe audio1 check with Main 1?)
Prepare its audio track (empty to start) => Click on the 'R' (ecord) at the track header

2017-07-23_19-19-18.jpg

Awesome! setting my mic to 48000 hz 24 bit, did the trick.

Jakob Kousholt

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am

2017-07-23_19-19-18.jpg

Thank you for the fool proof walk through! I have it working now. I am not sure what step I was off at, but now I am recording. Thank you so much.

Dave Willis

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:

2017-07-23_19-19-18.jpg

Awesome! setting my mic to 48000 hz 24 bit, did the trick.

What if we can't set the mic to 24 bit?

Ellisonling

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks for your answer and following post. All things talking about now are audio recorders and how to record audio. As for me, I prefer to use TunesKit Audio recorder for Windows to record audio tracks from -streaming services and videos. With the easy-to-use interface, you can work fast and effectively on recording audio from web browser, media players, and streaming music service. And it’s can keep or edit all original ID3 tags. Also it can save and record the recorded audios as MP3, AAC and other popular audio formats. If you would like to cut the unwanted segment and get a fascinating audio track, this audio recording software can do this well.
Hope it's also good for you. Good luck.

Brian Scott

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Is anyone using the Behringer X18 successfully? I can't see any inputs on the patching dialog. The outputs are there, and I have the Behringer listed in the "Speaker setup" area of the Video I/O in preferences. There are no audio or video devices listed in the input section.

FMaz008

PostMon Aug 28, 2023 1:48 pm

Brian Scott wrote:Is anyone using the Behringer X18 successfully? I can't see any inputs on the patching dialog. The outputs are there, and I have the Behringer listed in the "Speaker setup" area of the Video I/O in preferences. There are no audio or video devices listed in the input section.

I know it's been years and we are several versions later, but I'm currently facing that exact same issue you are describing. Did you figure out a solution?

FMaz008

PostMon Aug 28, 2023 2:16 pm

Brian Scott wrote:Is anyone using the Behringer X18 successfully? I can't see any inputs on the patching dialog. The outputs are there, and I have the Behringer listed in the "Speaker setup" area of the Video I/O in preferences. There are no audio or video devices listed in the input section.

Ok, me again.
I found a solution. Just leaving a message for future searches:
I had the X18 connected via Ethernet. Which windows detected fine, but I suspect Fairlight to only check for USB devices. As such it was not seeing the mixer.

I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the mixer, and plugged a USB cable. I had to install the USB drivers for the X18, downloaded from Behringer's site. This added 18 inputs and 18 outputs in windows. A real mess, but now it's working and Fairlight does see the default input device and allow me to patch it to a track.

Return to DaVinci Resolve