Confusing license purchase

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Iwo Bobul

Confusing license purchase

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 am

So I've just downloaded a studio 14 version from your website to test, it says that the license dongle is missing.
I'm on a mac, so if I just buy old resolve version from appstore for $299, will I be able to update it to the version 14 without the dongle?

Truls Aagedal

Re: Confusing license purchase

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm

If you buy from the Mac App Store you will probably get version 14 for free, but you will get the Mac App Store version, which is not exactly the same as the full version you download directly from Blackmagic Design. Hopefully this will change with version 14, but in 12.5 there are som differences. For some (me) these differences hasn't really been a problem. Though I suppose a digital licence from Blackmagic could mean that you will be able to move between a Mac and a PC, while the Mac App Store version is locked to Macs.
Another thing to think about is that you'll probably never get beta access on the Mac App Store. Meaning if you want to test a new version before stable release, you'd have to download the free version from blackmagic.

Lee Gauthier

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:38 pm

If you had a previous version of DR Studio with the dongle, the dongle should work with DR 14.

If you didn't, you can either get the free version of DR14 or buy DR Studio 12.5 and get a dongle, which should run DR Studio 14.

Advise against getting the Apple Store version. Buy from BMD or online reseller.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:If you had a previous version of DR Studio with the dongle, the dongle should work with DR 14.

Is this a true statement or just an assumption? Can someone with BMD confirm?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Peter Cave

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:31 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
Lee Gauthier wrote:If you had a previous version of DR Studio with the dongle, the dongle should work with DR 14.

Is this a true statement or just an assumption? Can someone with BMD confirm?

The dongle works on my Mac system, no issues.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve