All video unlinked from sound

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yani Haigh

All video unlinked from sound

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 am

Not sure why this has happened. Hopefully I just hit some shortcut keys in error.

Suddenly all video and sound on the timeline, multiple clips, have become unlinked.

If I try to relink them squat happens.

Any clues?

Yani Haigh

Re: All video unlinked from sound

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 7:00 am

sorted... the chain button

Richard Dean

We need a basic questions board

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 pm

No offense to the OP but this is why I'm probably not going to participate in this board
unless they create a basic and advanced area.

How can professionals and amateurs be on the same board and each accomplish their goals

Andreas Schwarz

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 8:29 pm

...who would have access to the professional area? The idea of professionals and amateurs breaks apart these days. I make my money with video production, but the things to learn never stop. In fact there is so much information about video editing, that no one can know everything. This forum should be open to everyone...from 12 year old kid beginners to highly experienced editors. Just my opinion....

Charles Bennett

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Both arguments have their merits. For those of us who read questions and responses from professional users we learn a lot. But, so many new users seem to have an inability to read the manual, make sure that their computer system is up to the task, or do a search of the forum to see if the question has already been asked. You end up with the same questions asked over and over again with many not believing it is their system that is the problem so rant about the software being at fault. This has happened with the Pro Tools forum.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Leslie Wand

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 am

Andreas Schwarz wrote:...who would have access to the professional area? The idea of professionals and amateurs breaks apart these days. I make my money with video production, but the things to learn never stop. In fact there is so much information about video editing, that no one can know everything. This forum should be open to everyone...from 12 year old kid beginners to highly experienced editors. Just my opinion....

well said. i'm a noobie to resolve, but have 45+ years in tv and video production. my first question was answered by people who i now realize are 'serious' professionals giving their knowledge freely and instructively. yes, RTFM should be a requirement BEFORE posting a question (and the manual is good, but not perfect).
of course there are going to be people asking how do i add media, how can i export mkv, and other seemingly 'amateur' questions. some of them are simply lazy, others have no idea what an nle is other than this one was free so why not get into editing their game video's...
there might well be a sticky at the top saying 'please read before posting', but the vast majority of the questions that seem to offend are being asked by people who would never dream of reading a manual, want instant gratification, and have literally no idea of what they've let themselves in for by diving straight into a complex piece of software.

my advice to answering such question would be (as has been done on several occasions), is simply direct them to the relevant page in the manual...

then again, they'd probably post asking where to find the manual ;-(

oh, and how do you separate the chaff from the wheat? what makes a 'professional' question in the first place, and how would the enquirer know if it was a pro question or not ;-(

perhaps a subscription based forum - not an expensive one, but say $5 a month would put many 'amateurs' off...
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Charles Bennett

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:08 am

That "Where is the manual?" question has been asked more than once on the Pro Tools forum. It is also disturbing how many people attempting to use complicated software aimed at the professional, are clueless when it comes to basic computer knowledge. I feel that there is no easy answer to this problem.
I don't use Resolve for anything other than my own projects, but I do use Pro Tools as an audio professional.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jean Claude

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 5:22 pm

We must accept the things said:
BMD support page => Davinci Resolve says:
DaVinci Resolve 14 Public Beta

The free DaVinci Resolve 14 is a full professional editing and color grading system that is suitable for independent users working on SD, HD and Ultra HD projects. Technical support for the free version available via the Blackmagic Design web forums only.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve