Sony a7s - Mini HDMI to SDI - Mini Recorder (Issue)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Chris McDonnell

Sony a7s - Mini HDMI to SDI - Mini Recorder (Issue)

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Hey all,

New to the forum!
I want to embed video and audio through the BM Mini converter (HDMI - SDI) then stream out via FLME using the Thunderbolt Mini recorder.
I'm having issues connecting my Sony a7s(i) and BM Mini Converter HDMI to SDI audio embedder (NOT 4K)

I am able to connect my Sony a7s over HDMI directly to the mini recorder and Desktop video picks up the signal is 1080i59.94 but when I add the embedder to the loop for audio, Desktop Video shows the video input as NTSC (SDI). I did have it working before with the embedder but now I am stuck.

Workflow:

Sony Camera HDMI Out - BM Converter - SDI Out - Mini recorder - Fireware to Mac Pro
Alesis Mixer Jack - BM Converter ^

Dim switches for BM HDMI - SDI, All on accept for 8(off)

I can take photos of my set up if it helps
Thanks in advance for any help on this issue!

Chris

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Sony a7s - Mini HDMI to SDI - Mini Recorder (Issue)

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 11:23 pm

My guess is that the problem is with 1080p5994 video signals. The Blackmagic Mini Recorder only accepts video input signals up to 1080i60 (or 5994) or 1080p30 (or 2997).

When you connect the camera directly to the Mini Recorder over HDMI, the Mini Recorder tells the camera that the highest signal format it can accept is 1080i5994, so this is what the camera sends. However, when you connect the camera to the Mini Converter over HDMI, the Mini Converter tells the camera it can accept 1080p5994 input signals, so the camera sends this instead. The Mini Converter converts this 1080p5994 video signal to SDI which it sends to the Mini Recorder. However, the Mini Recorder cannot accept this format, and since there is no signal format negotiation over SDI like there is with HDMI, the Mini Recorder just doesn't recognize the input signal.

If this is what is happening, you should check if there is an HDMI output format option on the camera (many Sony cameras have this). Make sure the camera is set to output 1080i (not 1080p or Auto) to force it to output 1080i5994 over HDMI, and see if that makes a difference.

Chris McDonnell

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Chris McDonnell

PostTue May 02, 2017 9:54 am

Yeah Desktop video is displaying NTSC when going through the HDMI to SDI converter, it works when I set FLME to NTSE/ PAL but the quality is poor.
I've purchased a Television studio HD for multiple cameras in the hope that it works.

Return to Live Production