Resolve Studio as NLE for compressed DNG

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Johnny Harris

Resolve Studio as NLE for compressed DNG

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm familiar with Premiere Pro and know very little Resolve.... much less its NLE capabilities.

I'm working with 4.6k compressed DNG.

My question for my fellow experienced users is:

Does Resolve offer any way of working with Compressed DNG's (in the NLE) in a responsive way without resorting to exporting proxies? Maybe like internally downgrading resolution for the NLE editing process while working off the same compressed DNG files.

I'm thinking that a newbie like me might have missed something. If so, I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. I'll take it from there and do the research but I just want to make sure I'm not going down a dead end.

My comp stats:
Xeon 3gh
32mb ram
Quadro M4000

Thank you

John Paines

Re: Resolve Studio as NLE for compressed DNG

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 pm

You can reduce debayer quality, as well as proxy playback quality. Both achieve performance gains. You can also put the 4K clips on an HD timeline, which may also improve playback. Or a combination of any or all of the above.

If you want to avoid proxies ("Optimized Media" in Resolve) you probably don't want caches either, but you could look into the caching options on the timeline and/or color page.

However, the Quadro is probably going to limp along with the native footage, no matter what you do. If I were you, I'd look into Optimized Media. Or try the "Smart" caching option, which automatically creates proxies for computationally challenging formats (that's the rumor, anyway; haven't tried that option). It's easy to switch between originals and proxies in Resolve.

Johnny Harris

Re: Resolve Studio as NLE for compressed DNG

PostTue May 02, 2017 5:49 pm

John Paines wrote:You can reduce debayer quality, as well as proxy playback quality. Both achieve performance gains. You can also put the 4K clips on an HD timeline, which may also improve playback. Or a combination of any or all of the above.

If you want to avoid proxies ("Optimized Media" in Resolve) you probably don't want caches either, but you could look into the caching options on the timeline and/or color page.

However, the Quadro is probably going to limp along with the native footage, no matter what you do. If I were you, I'd look into Optimized Media. Or try the "Smart" caching option, which automatically creates proxies for computationally challenging formats (that's the rumor, anyway; haven't tried that option). It's easy to switch between originals and proxies in Resolve.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve