Completing a Resolve setup...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Greg Schwartz

Completing a Resolve setup...

PostTue May 02, 2017 2:56 am

Ok, I'm looking to "complete" (as economically as possible) a Resolve setup to grade a 4k project.

Here's what I have so far:

--Mac Pro trashcan. I have both the 6-core and 8-core Xeon E5 available, 6-core with the dual D500s and 8-core with the dual D700s, both with 64GB of RAM; my current setup is on the 6-core, but I could steal the 8-core if necessary...
--Eizo CG248
--SAN storage
--PCI chassis with a Kona 4 card in it (which obviously wouldn't be useful in Resolve)

I'm looking for suggestions for a 4k monitoring card that would have an HDMI output for the Eizo, and possible another one for a client monitor; a client monitor/projector; scopes, calibration, and anything else I might have missed :)

Again, trying to do all this as economically as possible, but I could probably push it up to around $5000, if necessary.

Also, is Resolve 14 stable enough at the moment, or should I stick with 12.5.5?

Thanks for any help!
--Greg

Marc Wielage

Re: Completing a Resolve setup...

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:13 am

Stick with the latest Resolve 12.5 for now.

I'm not convinced you can do real-time 4K color-correction and 4K playback with a Trashcan Mac reliably. It can be done with very fast multi-GPU Windows and Linux systems.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Erik Wittbusch

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:27 am

+1 what Marc said.

For the monitoring you'll either need a BMD Ultrastudio 4k/4k extreme or buy an Aktitio Node Thunderbolt to PCIe enclosure and put a BMD Decklink Mini Monitor 4k.

Then you'll need another SDI to HDMi box like the Teranex Mini.

That's how I installed 4k monitoring on my reference and client display.
The Teranex also brings LUT support, which is great to calibrate the client display.

Erik Wittbusch

PostWed May 03, 2017 7:29 am

I'd also opt for a superfast cache drive which does help if realtime performance doesn't work.

I have a 1800MB/s drive with my 6-core hack and it caches blazing fast.

Greg Schwartz

PostThu May 04, 2017 12:16 am

Erik Wittbusch wrote:+1 what Marc said.

For the monitoring you'll either need a BMD Ultrastudio 4k/4k extreme or buy an Aktitio Node Thunderbolt to PCIe enclosure and put a BMD Decklink Mini Monitor 4k.

Then you'll need another SDI to HDMi box like the Teranex Mini.

That's how I installed 4k monitoring on my reference and client display.
The Teranex also brings LUT support, which is great to calibrate the client display.

I have the PCIe chassis with the Kona 4 in it, and I think I have room for a Mini Monitor (but probably not one of the Decklinks with HDMI daughter cards) in it.

Is there a downside to using an HDMI splitter from the HDMI out, or am I better off using the HDMI for my color monitor and the SDI (with a SDI-to-HDMI box) for the client monitor?

Thanks for the help!

Greg Schwartz

PostThu May 04, 2017 12:19 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Stick with the latest Resolve 12.5 for now.

I'm not convinced you can do real-time 4K color-correction and 4K playback with a Trashcan Mac reliably. It can be done with very fast multi-GPU Windows and Linux systems.

I guess that means I'd have to render before playback a lot, or is there some other downside, i.e. other than time and efficiency? :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve