Newb Skin Color Adjust Question.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Avenoso

Newb Skin Color Adjust Question.

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:31 pm

What can be done to reduce/reddish complexion. I have clips where the model has very pale white skin, but when filmed it shows a lot of red. Almost like rosacea. I tried pulling down the reds but it just doesn't look natural. It seems to be a little more complicated than that. Anybody here ever successfully reduced the look of rosacea on a model?
Windows 10 Pro 10.017763 Build 17763
i7-6800K w/Corsair H80i V2 Water Cooler
Nvidia EVGA RTX 2070
Ram 32.0 GB
BMPCC DJI Pocket 2
Davinci Resolve Studio 18

Marc Wielage

Re: Newb Skin Color Adjust Question.

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Do a Google search on "Digital Makeup." It takes a lot of work to even out skintone as a color-correction issue. Basically, you use lots of tracking masks and very small windows to fix different parts of their face and body.

This is why good makeup people are expensive -- they're worth it. Fixing this in post is kind of a crutch, but you can do it somewhat.

Softening the skin can help quite a bit. About 15 years ago, I worked on a film where most of the color-correction boiled down to fixing makeup problems -- and that was about 150 hours of work just on that. (Queen of the Damned, if you want to check it out.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Avenoso

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks.

BTW, I have a copy of that. My daughter was a Aaliyah fan. You did a great job, the women looked very hot.
Windows 10 Pro 10.017763 Build 17763
i7-6800K w/Corsair H80i V2 Water Cooler
Nvidia EVGA RTX 2070
Ram 32.0 GB
BMPCC DJI Pocket 2
Davinci Resolve Studio 18

Larry Li

PostTue May 02, 2017 1:38 am

here is my few easy steps to make skin looks the way I like:
1. make sure the white balance is correct
2. use the curve function and color pick on the face of the model
3. the hue-saturation curve allow me to control how much orange-blueish the face looks (for asian skintone). I usually dial it down a little bit.
4. the hue-hue curve allow me to control how much yellow-magenta. move this up slightly to look pink.

this is easy, but it will affect all the other object with orange-brown tone. I don't need to do any tracking mask.

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:15 am

Larry Li wrote:this is easy, but it will affect all the other object with orange-brown tone. I don't need to do any tracking mask.

In the real world, we do have to do this because different parts of the face actually have different skintones from the other, and we need to control them separately. Otherwise, the moment you shift (say) magenta towards yellow, it affects much too much. This is a more complex question than you might think.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Piotr Wozniacki

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:56 am

Marc is right; I wonder whether in some future DR version, the automatic power window created by skin tone tool will be split into several separate ones.

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Return to DaVinci Resolve