Intermittent issues saving project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Miroslaw Lawczys

Intermittent issues saving project

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:46 am

Hi,

I experience fairly consistent problems with saving project. When I "Save Project" or hit Ctrl+S, DaVinci Resolve displays pop-up Window showing saving progress. It seems to go smoothly, the green line goes to 100% and the pop-up window disappears. This however, does not mean that the project was saved. When I quit Resolve after saving project, restart Resolve and open the project the chances are that last several saves actually did not work and part of my work is lost.

I do not see any consistency - sometimes save works and sometimes it does not. What's worse, I have set up Auto-save every 20 minutes. It does interrupt my work with auto-saving but sometimes it does autosave and sometimes it does not. When I go to see backup history, I may be missing backups of a project even though auto-save was on and I saw Resolve auto-saving.

I tried to experiment and hit Ctrl+S and than check if Resolve database files get updated. When the save works, one of the cache folders gets updated. When save does not work, only Info text file gets updated but nothing else.

There are no error messages I receive when save is not successful. On the contrary - the pop-up window with save progress suggests that everything is fine.

I use Resolve version 12.5.4.019.
Running on Windows 10.

Miroslaw Lawczys

Miroslaw Lawczys

Re: Intermittent issues saving project

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,

Since the problem persisted I updated DaVinci Resolve to latest version 12.5.5.026.
Still saw the same issue.

Then I uninstalled DaVinci Resolve, cleaned Windows Registry, rebooted computer and installed DaVinci Resolve 12.5.5.026 again.
Problem with project being sometimes saved sometimes not persisted.

I created new project with just one video file in a bin as an experiment.
- Saved. Quit Resolve. Restarted. Project was there as saved.
- Changed description of the file in a bin, saved, quit Resolve, restarted. Latest changes were saved as expected.
- Did the above again. Changed the description again, saved, quit, restarted.

This time project was not saved and the Description was the old one (from second step above).

I am completely stumped. Such fundamental function as Saving a Project seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Any ideas?

Miroslaw

Ben De Boeck

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 am

Same issue with me.

Hitting Ctrl-S (or clicking "Save project") works only once in a while. The only way to have a chance of saving the project is to hit Ctrl-S several times in a row (4 or 5 times works usually). Each time I save, the progress bar indicates that saving was 100 % but this is actually rarely the case.

This means that saving is totally unreliable and I need to limit my work to very short sessions before saving several times, quitting, and restarting Resolve to make sure that my project modifications have been saved. A lot of lost time...
This has been going on for some time, with all recent versions of Resolve.

In my experiments to find the origin of the issue, I switched to the old database system and this seemed to work without problem (only tried for a very short time).

I use the latest version of Resolve (12.5.5) but it was the same with the last 2 or 3 updates.
Windows 10

Ben

Miroslaw Lawczys

PostWed May 03, 2017 11:55 pm

While the saving is still sketchy I have a work around.

I set auto-save to save my project every 10 minutes - keep last 10 backups.
This kind of works. If it does not, I go to auto-save settings again, change the interval and save. This will kick auto-save.

When I am done with editing my project and want to shut down Resolve, instead of Saving project (Ctrl-S) I "save project as.." and give it a different name. This way I am really forcing Resolve to save my work. So far so good. After some time I remove old projects.

BTW. This saved my but twice already since Resolve sometimes corrupts the project file upon save and when this happens there is no way to recover. When you try to open corrupted project Resolve crashes. So having a backup project with different name is important.

All this is very disappointing. Save should just work - it is basic function. I hope this issue is resolved in version 14 of Resolve.

Miroslaw

Styrbjörn Dannelöv Karlin

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Any solutions to this?

I'm experienceing the same problems on multiple setups... First with the public 12.5 version on one stationary windows 10 computer and now with the studio 12.5 version on another stationary windows 10 computer.

It's a bit scary that this is a problem and that no BMD person have an answer or even seems to bother. Dont take it personal but are you, BMD staff aware of this issue. I mean as mentioned above... saveing should be 100% safe.

BR
Styrbjörn, Sweden

Marc Wielage

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 pm

A major reason for me to switch to Resolve 14 (aside from the color feature improvements) is the LIVE SAVE feature, which is designed to auto-save even at the moment of a crash. So far -- knock on formica -- I have yet to lose anything in a 14b6 session. I do still export a DRP at the end of each day, but I've finished one feature and started another in the last 3 weeks and done OK so far.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve