HDMI embedded Audio in Web Presenter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jeff Hollis

HDMI embedded Audio in Web Presenter

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Long time lurker here,

I just got my web presenter, and it seem to be working alright, aside from the fact that I can't get any audio from the HDMI source. I see the jumpers on the front, but the manual is pretty useless in explaining what they all do, aside from the last few.

I see in the manual, though, that there is a way to set the audio as HDMI if you have the front plate teranex add-on.

So now after spending $500 on this, I have to buy the plate in order to simply pass through HDMI Audio?

Please help.

-Jeff

Jeff Hollis

Re: HDMI embedded Audio in Web Presenter

PostWed May 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Also, I realize that in the manual, it says that audio follows HDMI, but I'm not experiencing that.

I'm using a Panasonic G85 with an external mic (not that it matters) - and I'm receiving an audio track on HDMI via a Magewell, as well as an AJA.

John Richard

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:34 pm

New firmware just hit today. Go to BM Website > Support

Jeff Hollis

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Already tried. Still no luck.

Ordered the face plate, much to my dismay.

David Tilson

PostThu May 04, 2017 1:38 am

G'day Jeff,

I feel your pain.

I have not been able to get the audio from my Sony HDR-SR7 out of my Web Presenter through the HDMI port. If I connect the camera to the Web Presenter via a Blackmagic Mini HDMI to SDI converter the audio is fine.

What I found interesting is when I connected a different HDMI source, in this case my old iPad, the audio passed through fine.

Have you tried connecting a different HDMI source to see if the Web Presenter passes the audio?

When I raised this issue a few weeks ago on the forum someone suggested it may be the HDMI cable not handling the bandwidth however I have now tried it with HDMI 1.3, 1.4 and 2.0 cables with no difference.

I have tried both scenarios using firmware 1.1 and 1.2 but I have the Terranix Smart Panel on my unit. Unfortunately I had the same results.

If you have any joy please let me know.

Phil Hadfield

PostThu May 04, 2017 10:49 am

The Faceplate should be mandatory now.

Jeff Hollis

PostThu May 04, 2017 3:12 pm

I mean, if it's a (nearly) $500 device... that doesn't even come with any cables... why not just throw in the faceplate and bump the price 80 bucks?

If not having the faceplate nixes so much functionality, why even offer the device without it?

Right now, it's a larger, more unwieldy and more expensive version of a Magewell USB3.0 capture device.

What I like about it, is that it natively takes in HDMI and HDSDI - up to 4K (presumably with audio embedded), whereas the Magewell has two separate devices for that (but they work). The switching feature is cool, and I think I have clients that would love the functionality for smaller scale live webcasts.

I'll try another camera, a mixer output, and an HDSDI signal to see if I can pull any audio from this thing.

I'm also disappointed by the lack of 1080p output. Very Apple-ish move by making people buy something that will be replaced by a better model before the end of the year. Hopefully it's a firmware update, but that's not profitable, so I'm not counting on it.

Phil Hadfield

PostThu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Would be nice to have a Pip / PBP feature as well. So you can have camera and Powerpoint together.

Jeff Hollis

PostThu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm

The problem with that is the 720p max resolution.

Phil Hadfield

PostThu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm

1080i is also the same bandwidth. They could go down that route.

Denny Smith

PostThu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm

But, 1080i in not an internet streaming resolution, it is a broadcast one. Internet streaming is all progressive, as the display devices are also progressive.

Also, You can order the Web Presenter with the faceplate together from most vendors, often and a discount t when combined.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jeff Hollis

PostWed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm

So I went ahead and got the faceplate, and audio is still not embedded via HDMI. I can see audio coming into the web presenter via bars on the faceplate screen, but they do not send via USB. I've tried OBS and Wirecast, thinking it could be a driver thing with either, and then skype as well as direct WebRTC via chrome.

All other devices work fine (AJA, Magewell [both generations])

Firmware is updated.

I've tried different cables, despite these working fine in other applications.

I went through the menus and it seems to be set properly.

I am setting up a mic/mixer next.

Phil Hadfield

PostWed May 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Have you tried a laptop directly in? It works fine from my MacBook Pro via hdmi.

You have disabled and enabled all the audio on in the audio menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Hollis

PostThu May 18, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm getting audio into the Web Presenter, as I can see levels.

I am not getting audio on any PC (tested Wirecast, OBS, WebRTC, and Skype).

The only BM driver I see is "BlackMagic Web Presenter Microphone"

Thought with the Magewell, I see external and embedded as options. Software issue?

Return to Live Production